1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust on Citori?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hamer, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamer

Hamer TS Member

Picked up a nice, used Citori XT. Very clean, no visible rust. When I wipe it down with an oiled patch, the outside of the barrels leave a bright orange residue on the patch. This has happened to me before on 2 out of 3 of my Japan made Brownings (even brand new ones). Has anyone here ever experienced this with Brownings? I have many guns and this has never happened on any of my non-Brownings. I am trying Ballistol on it and it just turns rag after rag orange/brown. Suggestions?

Thanks

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>>Suggestions?

Keep rubbing until it's clean.

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I,ve got an older TB trap that had been in storage for quite awhile before I got it. ITS better now but it had the same problem. I would just go wipe it down whenever I thought about it.

Steve

4. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

If you think that is bad, just wait till you pull the stock off. Better be sitting down when you do.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

snap, funny. I recall taking the stock off on my first BT-99 that I had bought used.

Whoof.

HM

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Leave it alone as it is what holds Brownings together. lol Just kidding ya.

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Ok, so I take it this is more than a little light oxidation. Brownings just naturally rust? Don't you just wipe them down like regular guns?....?

Steve

8. K4AA

K4AA TS Member

I believe it is the anti-corrosion oil Browning uses. It really penetrates the metal like cosmolene. My XT does that but each time it gets less and less. I use Breakfree CLP to get it off. Has anyone ever asked Browning?

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sometimes, on a lonely winter night, I like to sit with a Cigar and a brandy and listen to my Brownings rusting in the safe...........

HM

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have three Browning shotguns and they do not rust, inside or out. It's BS

11. K4AA

K4AA TS Member

bump

12. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

Brown rub off means the black oxide was not done quite right, maybe a few degrees low on temp, so the coating is not as hard as it should be. It's probably limited to one day's or even just one hour's production, although it may be a recurring problem. The "blueing" (actually black oxide) on this particular gun will not last as long as it should, so you may get only 30 years rather than the 50+ you get from a proper job on a well cared for gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.