1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust Inhibitors?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Any good suggestions for rust inhibitors? My "Salt Gun" has some rust and corrosion where the stock mates with the receiver, but barely encroaches onto blued exterior surfaces. I'd like to restock this gun, but think some sort of rust inhibitor should be applied. Any suggestions that are simple, relatively long-term other than bead blasting, welding and annealing, etc.?

Many thanks.

WNCRob

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

good cleaning, maybe some instant blue or cold blue good oil. you will be getting rid of the source of rusting.....the bad wood??

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

oh yeah try the ruststore.com

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you decide to use a rust remover be aware that most of them will also remove the blue from the metal.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Along those lines = rust removal = 0000 steel wool. Nothing coarser and use some sort of oil even if it is 3 and one. Go easy on the pressure. For storage on my guns I use Rig Universal, it leaves an nice film inside and out. For my Red Label I use Rig Plus P on trunions. Ruger even ships a small blister of this product with new guns. Plus P is formulated for stainless steel. Bill

6. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

My dad used to use STP on the barrels of shotguns he didn't use routinely. Has anyone else tried that?

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Cold blues will not inhibit rust, and some tests have shown that they can accelerate rust. Any bluing requires that a rust shield (e.g., RIG, etc.) be applied over it.

I haven't dealt with these salt woods, so I'm just wondering out load here. Is it possible to finish the interior surfaces of the stock with a polyurethane or some such so as to eliminate or reduce the salt-steel contact?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

A sealer between the receiver and the wood would help, but not prevent more damage. Any type of varnish would do. RIG on the metal is about as good of a rust inhibitor as is available. Removing just a tiny bit of the wood that contacts the receiver and then glass bedding the stock might help. Or, it might not help but would not hurt anything.

Pat Ireland

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Ballistol.

Nothing better!

Nothing safer for you skin, cuts, etc... No carcinogens like WD-40, Hoppes, etc...

Cleans, lubricates, water displacement, rust inhibitor, plus 100 other things.

Watch part of the infomercial. None other than Joyce DeWitt of Three's Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCd5Sf5AJk&feature=related