1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rust in gas tank

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a old farm tractor that i am trying to rebuild(MM) and it has rust in the gas tank. did the nuts and bolt roll arond thing but it still has a lot of rust left. any thing i can pour in it to clean out the rust?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try Eastwood

They have sealers, cleaners, etc

http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=fue&w=fuel+tank+sealer+kit&p=Q&ts=custom

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just need to coat the tank, several good products available

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've had real good luck with this. The nut and bolt method will knock some of it loose, but there will always be sediment in the fuel. This stuff will lock it in place. Make sure you let it dry long enough. Shop around, ebay and amazon have it as well. Good luck.

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

If all else fails, run a stem line up into the gas tank about 3" and connect to your fuel bowl. You will be above the gunk and draw clean fuel from the tank. I monkeyed with a tank for tooooo long and finally did the above. Works good, but may have to clean the fuel screen more often.

I forgot - Put a couple real strong magnets under the tank and they will hold the rust particles.

Rod

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is a product called Micro-seal, they are out of upstate NY, It makes an impervious coating on the inside of a tank once its cleaned. Used it on a 200 gal water tank on my boat-was a life saver.

Phil Berkowitz

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Beware of the sealers they deteriorate after a few years and cause a problem also. We did this at my shop back in the 80's I know of which I speak. Bill

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yamaha sells a 2 stage rust remover that works pretty darn good if you follow the directions. I've also had excellant luck by taking to the radiator shop and having one boiled.

ss

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The tinman gave you good advice, I used this milky substance on a 1919 Hercules hit&miss gas engine tank that had several pin holes in it from rust. That was in the late 80's and it still held up after all these years. You pour the pint can in and slosh it around then drain the rest out and let it setup.

10. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Hunter; I had this problem in an old truck.I went to a fuel oil suppler and got a furnice filter and installed it cutting the fuel line and used rubber fuel hose.It only cost about 12 bucks and it will hold a lot of rust.Only changed the filter once after that in 2 years.

11. Mapper

Mapper Member

I believe I would try some Evapo-Rust, available at Auto Zone. Then see if it needs coating. THe Evapo-Rust is non toxic and washes out with water. Pretty reasonable, but I don't remember just how much. It will also remove blueing from gun barrels. The folks who make POR 15 also make a sealer. If it's anything like their paint, it's good stuff.

12. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I put a gas tank sealer in my 1936 car 15 yrs ago and this year I will have to replace the tank. the sealer work find with know problems. don't remember brand name, but I'm sure the new products are even better then what I used.

13. target 1

target 1 Member

had a john deere A that had been setting for 13 years that had rust in the tank.the tank was made in two pieces and welded together, i split it and had it sandblasted and welded it back together. works an looks like new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.