1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rust in barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Bought a shotgun at auction. Bore looked ok but dirty. Got it home and found very light rust pitting about 6 inches from the muzzle. How can I remove it? Looks to be very very shallow .
    Thanks
    Mike t

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If it is actually what you typed, I wouldn 't worry about it.

3. twotimer

twotimer Member

MikeT, you can buy hones that fit on a drill just for that issue. Most of the big boys i.e. Midway, Brownells etc. have them. Check your work often, don't take too much out. Mike

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

steel wool wrapped around your wire brush attached to your your cleaning rod.

Use Ballistol as your lubricant.

Cleans it right up.

I would stay away from any type of "drill attachment". Just take your time and remove the rust.

the Ballistol will prevent any more rust.

5. mike T

mike T Member

Where do I find ballistol?

6. nglitz

nglitz Active Member

Just oil it up and shoot the gun. Don't waste your time obsessing over it.

Norm

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use a bore brush in a drill w/OIL then swab until it is gone using new swabs/patch each time.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. build4u

build4u Member

I bought two of the hones from Brownells Med and Fine with the matching mineral hone oil and did my 90T and an older Perazzi that was worse for my friend that had a hint of light rust and they turned out amazing. Back Boring and forcing cone work is done with reamers but the hone work after reaming is done with a drill motor. They sell the hones for the chamber as well. They came with good directions.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Barrel hones from Brownell's are a great way to fix this. Get medium and fine hones, honing oil, make it look better than new. These will not hog out barrel, will remove tool marks and light rust.

If chamber is rough, they do have chamber hones. I have used these in guns that give extraction issues with cheap hulls. Brownell's sell them as a three piece set, medium, fine bore hones, and chamber hone.

I have used them for decades, recommend them highly, have used them routinely to eliminate wad fouling issues. Also, a worn hone does wonders for choke tubes.

I use a spark plug boot wrench to hold tubes, they get hot.

10. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks to everyone,
    I talked to Wright's and they said just shoot it and enjoy it. should not be an issue. As near as I can tell I don't think they are deeper than .001 or.002. So I guess I will shoot it and enjoy it. I might in the future try what shooting coach recommended that is if I have nothing to do hahaha.
    thanks
    mike t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.