1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust Damage - repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doughboy, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Gunsmith's chime in please.....Would any of you consider purchasing a gun that has rust pitting damage on the receiver? The rest of the gun is in mint condition...tight, to the right, no internal rust. The seller is taking this into consideration (almost to good to pass up). How is something like this fixed?
    I can't submit a picture of it....receiver bluing is perfect except where rust damage has taken place.

Thank you,
    Kurt

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I had an old O/U shotgun with a similar problem.

I had the gun Metalifed - Ron Mahovsky evaluated the gun and first plated it to fill in some of the voids, final product is not perfect, but damage is now not really visible.

Similar issue with an 870 - too bad to Metalife (it is a very thin coating), so he did a flat finished Nickel plating that completely filled the pits - can't even tell it had them.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

As long as the price is right and you can live with the pitting, it's all good. Depending on the gun, it might even be worth doing something to.

ss

4. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Depending on the depth some things can be done. Just stay away from the cold blue stuff. Some products do work well but best to let the professionals have a go at it.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If the receiver has engraving, don't expect it to be any where near as crisp when you get it back. You also my have to shop around for someone who is willing to try to match the finish (I've had some tell me they had to do the whole gun). Good luck.