1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Rumors: Remington exiting shotshell business?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve-CT, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I've been hearing rumors in my area that Remington is getting out of the shotgun shell and/or reloading component business. Any truth? My club's distributor is saying we can't get STS shells anymore, Remington wads or primers?

Sounds like BS to me or "false flag" price increases again.

What have you heard and where is it coming from?
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't look like a Remington shortage to me

grntitan_2009_2503330.jpg
  4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Thanks. It's BS propagated by the vendor where most of my club's ammo is purchased from.

I'll shop outside my club's choice
  5. dedpair

dedpair Member

I work for a large wholesale distributor and the word we're getting is that Remington is scaling back they're components. The general idea is they'll order what they need to make factory shells and offer any surplus to the retail market. At this point with the prices they're charging, who would buy them anyways. Now factor in no rebate for the shells and your answer should be clear. In the big scheme of things, components are less than 1% of their overall sales, so very easy to trim the fat and move on.

Jeff Graupp
  6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Facts,

Remington wads, primers and shells are in very short supply in many areas. RXP, FIG 8 and TGT-12 wads price was raised astronomically by distributors just prior to shortages-primers too.

STS shells are difficult to find at most major distributors.

Remington officials have made the statement that component prices need be raised substantially to make the product profitable or exiting the business is possible.

Subject to change at any moment!!
  7. BigM-Perazzi

Difficult to find and getting out of the business are two different questions...
  8. oz

oz Active Member

sounds like a harry reid rumor.
  9. oleolliedawg

bigM, try reading Jeff's post. They're difficult to find because they're not making many. I doubt you're one of those guys who'll spend over $14/500 Remington brand wads instead of $9/500 Claybusters. And you're telling us $185-5000 Remington primers at wholesale are a much better value than Fiochi at $118.

Speak not of what you know little!!
  10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I too heard a rumor that Remington is getting out of the Target shell business and only keeping their hunting line of ammo. Now I don't know if that includes the gun club line of ammo or if they will keep that as part of hunting/target ammo??? I told you all that Remington's manufactoring machines would not last forever!!! Sounds like they may need to put $$$ into the machines to keep them running??? With this economy I too think it would be a bad investment for them to dump large $$$ into fixing/replaceing the old machines. Hope you all have lots of Rem. hulls if you reload!!! Then again maybe its just a rumor. Time will tell. break em all. Jeff
  11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When Harlan is no longer sponsered by Remington, you'll know.

Phil Berkowitz
  12. crusha

crusha TS Member

With all the Cheddite, Claybuster, etc. stuff out there, I'm surprised companies like Remington stay in this at all. Reloading components seem to be purchased by budget-minded people who shop for bargains, buy in quantity, and will always go for cheaper things like wads and primers. But "exiting from the shotshell business" sounds like BS. Now, exiting from "manufacturing" shotshells? I can definitely see Remington having all their shells imported from Turkey or someplace, and re-badged with the Remington name...just like their guns will eventually be.

Of course, Average Ed hasn't had the chance to tap his legendary and extensive treasure trove of "inside-information" from Remington, so I guess we'll have to stand by for the actual answer.
  13. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I have nothing of value to offer at this time. And with 38 unopened flats of STS/Nitro shells on hand that I will reload eight times, I'm not concerned - yet.

I've seen this happen before in other industries. One motive for it is to drive prices skyward to increase profitability. Maybe you've noticed that scenario with gasoline prices...

A former Remington rep told me years ago that reloading components were not much more than a break-even proposition for Remington so it isn't hard to believe that they might want to stop marketing them.

Ed
  14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Since a large number of gun manufactorers are owned by one group we will see changes that are made concerning profitabilty for the group. I believe that this will certainly affect the availibilty of what they term low profit areas. Sad days ahead of us. Jackie B.
  15. Fish Springs

Fish Springs Member

FWIW I recall Remington components com and go from the market at least twice.
  16. BigM-Perazzi

Ollie,

"I've been hearing rumors in my area that Remington is getting out of the shotgun shell and/or reloading component business. Any truth?"

I can read this just fine. You have a difficulty with this question??

"bigM, try reading Jeff's post. They're difficult to find because they're not making many. I doubt you're one of those guys who'll spend over $14/500 Remington brand wads instead of $9/500 Claybusters. And you're telling us $185-5000 Remington primers at wholesale are a much better value than Fiochi at $118.

Speak not of what you know little!! "

try reading comprehension classes online....

Jim
  17. oleolliedawg

BigM, tell us if you're a dealer or distributor. If not, you still know little. Jeff and I are trying to tell you something-are you listening!!
  18. BigM-Perazzi

Well since you can't read nor comprehend, it was the OP, also known as original poster, SteveL-CT, who posted the question.

that was the question I answered.

Where your coming from I have no idea.

I don't need to be a dealer or distributor to know the answer to that question...

Since I made no reference to Jeff's comments I don't need yours either...
  19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Sportsman's Den Shelby,OH has a good supply of Rem. shot shell ammo. Shooters are not buying them with no rebates. Gun Clubs which used to be cheap, are now around $7.00 per box at my local Walmarts,Meijer's in N W Ohio. Rem. will be out of the shot shell business with no rebates and high prices!
    Clyde
  20. oleolliedawg

That's OK BigM, Jeff just happent to work for one of the largest distributors on the East coast and is privy to inside information. As a large dealer I also have access to similar information.

Since you've already declared our information as BS, please tell all of us where you got yours!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.