1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruling on trigger "pulling through"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

What is the ruling if a trigger pulls through? Does it fall under the FTF rule (two per sub event)?

This happened to me at the Grand and it was fixed by Krieghoff (at no charge) while I shot with a spare receiver.

Now, weeks before the Southern Grand, I had it happen four times (out of 300 rounds) this past weekend.

The receiver is at Allor's to get looked at, and I should have it "fixed" before heading down; but I was wondering what would happen if it acts up during an event.

Don Verna

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ruling on trigger

Don..... If the trigger pulls through before you call for a target, it is not a failure to fire. If you call for a target and then the gun pulls through, "failure to fire". There cannot be a failure to fire when no target is called for to fire at..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ruling on trigger

Trap 2,

Wouldn't a pull through while target in flight, ie after target is called, be a lost target if said target isn't broken?

It has been some time since my last registered ATA targets and not sure if they changed the ruling since then.

ss

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ruling on trigger

If you call for a target and the trigger pulls through when the target is in the air its the same as if you shot at it and if you miss it, its lost ... I have seen it happens many times to guys with them "LET-GO" triggers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ruling on trigger

Thanks Dan,

It is a hell of a way to have to finish an event. Wondering if the gun will go "BOOM" when you set the trigger is NOT conducive to a harmonious outcome.

It must be disruptive to others if I continue to shoot. Can I call a gun malfunction and make up the targets?

If it happens once every 15-50 shots, what is the correct way to address it?

Don Verna

SS and WPT - The trigger is set before calling for the bird. You must not shoot release triggers. This is NOT a case of releasing the trigger pre-maturely. It "pulls through" during the act of setting it.

6. kmca

kmca TS Member

Ruling on trigger

In that situation, I'd try setting the trigger before you close the gun, then get it fixed asap.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ruling on trigger

I know of no one that calls for a target before setting the trigger

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ruling on trigger

ALF-99 is correct. Shooters will set their triggers at different times but never after they call for a target.

Pat Ireland

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Ruling on trigger

Could be an issue if shooting a release/release on doubles.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ruling on trigger

I agree, but I have seen delayed pull throughs.

ss

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Ruling on trigger

Don,

I think WPT and SS were referring to Dan's statement: 'If you call for a target and then the gun pulls through, "failure to fire".' I too think that if you do this and a target is in the air and missed it is a lost target.

I have not double checked this, but I think you can withdraw from any sub-event due to mechanical problems and make up the targets on the make up trap. Whether you rejoin your squad or need to re-squad would depend on how long it took for repairs and if something is noted in the program covering make-up and re-squadding.

Jason

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ruling on trigger

It is true some release triggers can pull through . Not as many as you think and I have never seen one do it after the set .

Some Guns with release triggers can-not pull through (can,t happen) I really don,t think some of you know what a pull through really is .

( but I have seen delayed pull throughs) That is total B.S.
    The shooter let go .

13. JES

JES Member

Ruling on trigger

I agree with ALF they must have released it may be a light release. A pull through any one with a release trigger that has had it happen knows what that is it hurts!!!

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ruling on trigger

I stand corrected here. It the target is called for, and shot at for any reason, and the wad clears the barrel, and missed, it is a lost target...... Dan

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Ruling on trigger

Alf,

So exactly what is "pull through"?

Jason

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Ruling on trigger

dverna something to think about here just backing up what Shawn is saying. If you are setting your trigger an instant after someone on an adjacent field with a loud call springs the trap you are on and the trigger pulls through it could be called lost.

6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung
    at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant,
    provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result
    must be scored.

Just mentioned it so you will know it is possible.

Bob Lawless

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ruling on trigger

First thing to do is put that gun away and search for a competent gunsmith for a repair. I repeat, treat that thing as if it's contaminated with AIDS or some other deadly contageous illness. You'll save yourself a lifetime of trigger set problems if you do as I say!!

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ruling on trigger

Zardy,

I am pretty sure Kerry will get her done but thanks for the info. In any case, I have a spare receiver so I will be OK. Your offer is most welcomed and I am a much more accomplished drinker than trap shooter!!

PM on the way.

Don

19. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Ruling on trigger

dverna, I am quite sure your problem is that the hook on your release is not engaging the hammer as it should when you try to set the trigger. Most of us refer to this as "pulling through". I have been shooting release triggers for over 35 years and have experienced a variety of release trigger problems including the shoulder jarring "machine gunning" with automatics. Those who experience "delayed release" will probably find that some part of the trigger is rubbing on the stock. Larry Evans

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ruling on trigger

A pull-through is the hook not engaging the hammer and holding it for whatever reason . Once the release trigger is set if the gun fires it,s not a pull- through .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.