1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Violation?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last Sunday at our small shoot, a mistake was made.

The targets were set on field one. To set the targets, the trap was locked to throw a straight away target from post three. Someone forgot to switch the trap back to the oscillation mode. I scored the first squad and noticed after 5 shots, all of the targets were going the same angle. I allowed three more shots to make sure and then stopped the squad. W went to the house, flipped the switch, and resumed shooting.

I did not require the first eight shots to be shot again. Should I have done this?

Pat Ireland

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

All targets should have been shot again......

Curt

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

OK I'll be different NO.

Don

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear MR. IRELAND
    The SCORE stands as shot. I have had this happen twice in ATA State shootoffs just as you described. Mr Ray Greb present also! NO SHOOTOVERS!!
    Jet Boat Bill Life Member ATA

5. dshot

dshot Member

If you had missed one or two, a do over would have been nice.

6. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Pat - had this same question last year - and i beleive Neil answered it - its a shoot management issue - if the mangement wants them shot over they get to do it again - otherwise scores stand - J Mroczka

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

J Mroczka - Your response indicated how it is done, but it that how it should be done. This is not an uncommon problem.

Pat Ireland

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Good quiz Mr. Ireland.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

You should have been fired by shoot management and replaced by a scorer who follows the rules. HMB

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

What does the rule book imply that you should do or does it allow a discretionary interpretation of some sort?

11. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

What if you had been less observant and were on the next to last or last post before noticing it? Point being at what point are they to be shot over?

12. nicky

nicky Member

Pat, I think section 7 in the ATA book states ; if a shooter fires at the target the result must be scored. So I would have to say, no shoot over, the score stands.

Kevin

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

We had this happen on our squad at the state shoot. The results stand.

Jerry Hauser

14. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Pat, A bit hypothetical now, but what if at the same time you noticed that one of the shooters was standing on the wrong yardline? Assuming HCP of course. The NO TARGET rule allows (there's that word again) for the targets to be shot over if previously hit.

So, now what would you do. A lot tougher call?

But to your question, I think the right decision was made. If you would have decided to reshoot, would you have just reshot the hit targets or all targets?

Tom

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Eight identical targets in a row and none of the shooters said anything? They should have been penalized for keeping quiet about the predictable targets.

Morgan

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It looks like the only Rule that was broken was done so by Pat. That is the #1 Scorer's Rule; "Don't blow the tip!" lol

17. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat,
    You did the right thing.

Ed Yanchok

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Our club hosted several banking execs that had never shot trap. We set the traps for straights from 3 to ease them into the game without more disappointment than necessary.

My trap had about a 45 minute wait till my crew showed up. 4 shooters wanted to shoot a round of practice prior to the start of the games and I'm thinking these were part of the bank crowd! They didn't notice the targets were straights till the last 5 birds!! No 25s were shot, 2 24s, a 23 and a 22!! These people were ATA shooters from out of town also!!

Pat did the obvious right thing in that case but what would have been the proper fix had the clays been extremely wide and shot at? I would have treated them as "no targets" for the hits, losses stay. That or start over again with legal settings. Hap

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, I'm sorry, but in this case I'm right with all the TS.comers who read the word "allow" in the rulebook and have no idea what it means.

"I did not require the first eight shots to be shot again. Should I have done this?"

It's the word "this" that has us so confused. Does "this" refer to requiring the shots, or does it refer to your action of not requiring it?

We should not have to "interpret" things like that; it should be spelled out. It's that sort of thing that makes it snow 8 inches in St. Paul in April!

Neil

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What I want to know, Pat, is how much you were paid to score targets! LOL

I think I know the answer.

This happens a lot. It IS surprising how many folks miss them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.