1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules regarding accidental discharge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Tonight a shooter who shall remain unidentified (but his initials are DJU) had an accidental discharge while "bouncing" the gun lightly into the pocket of the shoulder as he prepared to shoot, but had not called pull. It was of course pointed well above the trap house and directly downrange, so aside from being hugely embarrassing and unnerving, no real harm. Probably a result of the combination of a release trigger and a long day of shooting.
    But no excuses, a screw up to be sure.
    Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that I'm curious on the rules regarding how this would be scored, a "lost bird", or no target and simply reload and call pull.
    dju

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well when it happened to me in a Registered shoot, I looked at the other shooters apologized reloaded and proceeded to call for my bird and smoked it. I don't know if there was any rule but nobody said anything. Brother you ain't alone.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Simply reload and shoot again...

4. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I shoot a release and one time I mounted my gun, pointed above the house, set the trigger and boom! I didn't call for the bird, but my gun went off. I apologized, loaded another shell, set the trigger and boom again! Apologized, changed to double barrels to shoot the bottom first and my release worked fine. Since I didn't call for the bird the squad leader said no failure to fire and we continued.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Can't lose a target that wasn't in the air.

6. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Thank you all!
    dju

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

But if a target HAD been in the air, it would be a lost target.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You have to call for a target if it is to be lost.

HM

9. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,

We have all seen a bird launched from the traphouse when it our turn to shoot,
    could be someone moving a speaker?, closing the action on their shotgun? They could have said something to one of their buddies? etc.

Let me know if this is correct ? If it is your turn to shoot & someone on another station trips the speaker & you fire at the bird without calling , the result is scored.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

hwy13 - In what you describe the target would be scored because you shot at it.

If and when this happens just lower your gun open the action and start over - don't shoot at a target you didn't call for.

David - don't feel bad, the AD happens to most guys using a release trigger at some point. The important thing is you had the gun pointed down range and there was no damage or injury. If you look at the back of the traphouses at just about any range you will see where they have been shot several times. The event obviously got your attention and I'll bet you don't have a repeat for some time.

11. motrap

motrap Member

halfmile & hwy 13 ........

SECTION VII - OFFICIAL SCORING

E. NO TARGET
    The referee/scorer shall rule “NO TARGET” and allow another target(s) in the following instances:

6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant, provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If a bird in the air, lost bird. Your only allowed 1 screwup at a time...

"Oh, I didn't call that bird! It caused my release to go off!"

Otherwise we'd all do it...

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I wonder how many shooters, especially senior vets (like me) think that not taking off the safety, forgetting to put a shell in the gun, or a flinch is a lost target, and you could never convince them otherwise no matter what
    that dadgummed rule book says.

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A shoot off would have been a better place for that to happen lol. John

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

In IPSIC shooting an accidental discharge is considered unsafe handling and requires immediate disqualification. Not a bad rule?

jim brown

16. BigM-Perazzi

In IPSC, most accidental discharges can result in injuries up to and including death. Hence more strict rules....

In trap, when basic safety is practiced, an accidental discharge is little consequence.

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Muzzle must always be down-range in IPSIC as in trap. Muzzle sweeping part of your body or pointing in an unsafe direction is also grounds for disqualification. 12 gauge is surely more devastating than IPSIC pistol calibers. Why would a AD in IPSIC be more dangerous? Not advocating just asking.

jim brown

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim Brown,

So with your line of thinking, when a shooter's gun doubles during a doubles event then they should be immediately disqualified? You know a gun doubling is an accidental discharge as the shooter did not fire that second shot. You wouldn't happen to be one of the anti-release trigger guys would you? I shot on a squad with a guy who was using a pull trigger break open single shot. When he closed his gun it fired. Seems after his last shot his firing pun broke and stuck out. When he closed the break open it fired. So he should be automatically DQ'd?

19. BigM-Perazzi

Jim, because your dealing with holstered guns, speed reloads, probably with chambered rounds, running with weapons etc.... hardly comparable to a flinch on a trap range...

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"I wonder how many shooters, especially senior vets (like me) think that not taking off the safety, forgetting to put a shell in the gun, or a flinch is a lost target, and you could never convince them otherwise no matter what that dadgummed rule book says. "

Two of us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.