1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

It was very windy a couple of days at the Southern Grand. On bank six there is a 4 foot high chain link fence between two of the traps. Normally, this fence is well out of the target fall area. But, on my doubles squad a shooter apparently missed one of his second birds and the wind blew it over on the top of the fence and the target broke four feet above the ground. How would you score that bird?

Pat Ireland

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Lost. It was broken by the fence, not the shot.

Neil

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Lost.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How do you know the fence broke the clay? Pat said the clay went "over the top" of the fence? If the target didn't hit the fencing, it's a broken target, if it hit the fence,it's a lost target! As long as it breaks in the air before touching weeds,tree limbs,fences etc., it's a dead bird.

Hap

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Did it hit the fence, or was blown over without hitting it? I remember at least two occasions where a bird I shot at broke late, once hit by the wad, and another time evidently weakened by a pellet and broke in half about a second after the shot. Both were correctly ruled dead.

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I would have to agree with Hap. Niel did not say the target hit the fence. We need to know if the target cleared the fence and by how much. If it was a visible miss of the fence by feet or even inchs it's a dead target.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

One place I shoot occassionally there's a powerline out in the area the targets fly, it's surprising how often the targets will hit the powerline and break. As I recall they call it "lost" if you fire and miss before it hits the line and "no target" if it hits the line and breaks before you've fired. If you fired at the exact moment that the target hit the powerline and broke I would think they'd have to score it "dead" but I can't recall ever seeing that happen?

John C. Saubak

8. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Pat said it blew it over on top of the fence. I assume by this statement it hit the fence.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

hoosier- Yes, I did say on top of the fence.

Neil- shot does not have to break a target to be scored dead. We have both several times seen a target fly en break in half well after the shot has been fired. That should be scored dead. It could have broken due to the shot or it could have just been a cracked target that took a long time to break.

Is the fence part of the ground?

Pat Ireland

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hoosier, how can you assume that?

Pat wrote;

"the wind blew it over on the top of the fence and the target broke four feet above the ground."

The target he speaks of is in the past tense in that wording concerning the fence? To me, that means it went over the top some distance and broke about 4 feet off the ground!

Pat, yes, the fence is considered a part of the ground in this instance just the same as a 4 foot high weed or bush would!

Hap

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap - I was not as clear as I should have been. The target hit the vertical pipe holding up the fence. Is a four foot weed part of the ground or is it "fructis naturalis" growing from the ground? You know I enjoy splitting hairs. Now I am splitting split hairs.

Pat Ireland

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, if you will re-read my post, you will notice that I did not say shot has to "break a target to be scored dead." What I said was that according to your post, the fence broke it. That's all I claimed and did not venture farther into shot/target/scoring theory.

Neil

13. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Pat said;

"hoosier- Yes, I did say on top of the fence. "

Pat. No, you didn't. You said this;

"the wind blew it over on the top of the fence"

Pat, are you having fun? Still got cabin fever? Spring is here.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Pat, you're attempting to split frog hair now!:) The clay hits ANY part of the fencing, it's a lost target, period.

I once refereed a shoot-off when a target was really dusted and no discernible piece fell off. I watched the target intently and it broke in half a few feet off the ground, dead bird was my call and rightfully so!

Hap

15. warren

warren Member

If the target hit any part of the fence it's, lost, if it didn't and it broke before it hit the ground it's dead, sailing over the fence or any other object is irevalent. I've seen delayed breaks a few time especially in doubles and they were always called dead. What was it called?

warren

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Outside interference, repeat the pair, first bird is dead if it was broken on the first pair. HMB

17. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I guess it depends what part of the country you are from. When I read Pat's statement I clearly understand that the target hit the top of the fence. I guess it is like in some parts of the country people say pop while in other parts of the country people say soda. I think it is understanding the brogue that is being spoken. jmho.

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I don't think so.

He can't be grammarically incorrect in one moment, and then grammarically superior the next moment. Witness;

"Is a four foot weed part of the ground or is it "fructis naturalis" growing from the ground?".

19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

feign - To give a mental existence to something that is not real or actual.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Your post is clearly counter to the rules. There is no outside interference allowed if you shoot. If the pair is shot over, it makes no difference if the first bird was dead or lost.

longshooter- My first description may not have been as clear as it should have been, but it was grammatically correct.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.