1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Question Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Is there a rule about smoking while shooting? I have looked at the rule book and can find nothing. Honestly, I don't care either way but here is the reason I ask. I coach a college team and one of my coaches, somewhat anal but very good, has told the kids there will be no smoking on the line AND he is particularly vocal to the one young lady that smokes. My contention is that it is none of his damed business as these are 20 to 23 year old people. They can drink, drive, carry a rifle and die for this country. I would rather they not smoke---AT ALL but see it as their dumb choice. (Had my share of those) If there is no rule, I will over-ride him but want to know I'm right before I do.
    p.s. I don't smoke and never have

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

There is probably not a rule unless it would be a local club rule, but he may be doing the kids the biggest favor he could do them! If they leave your program and never shoot another clay bird, but live their lives tobacco free because of your influence, you have done them a wonderful service. IMHO, Jack

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I never saw a rule in the book about smoking either way. You can look it (rule book) up on the ATA site. Ross P.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Smoke on my squad and I'll ask you to put it out or leave. It is just not done. It is called common courtesy. What the hell is she doing smoking while shooting in the 1st place. Your coach is right and you are wrong.

Look up the rule "disruting the Harmony".

Don

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Sometimes opinions, humble or otherwise, get in the way of logic.

Lets see, the young lady that smokes leaves the program because of an anal coach(not my words) and never shoots at a clay target again.

Does one really believe this individual will now quit smoking because of said coach's influence.

To the specific question in your post. It is a legal activity. There is no ATA rule related to it. Therefore, it is none of his business.

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

A southern lady does not smoke while standing or moving about.....

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

According to the NRA's General Range Safety Rules, you should "refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, applying makeup, or placing your hands in proximity to your mouth or nose while on the range or while cleaning a gun" due to the dangers of lead ingestion.

Tom Stewart, NRA Certfied RSO

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

This would fall under that rule of "distacting shooters"

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I shot with a guy last year on the station to my left who shot the whole round with a lit cigarette in his mouth - never took it out - puffed away between shots - I was downwind - absolutely detest the odor of tobacco smoke and was it disruptful - you bet. Rude - absolutely. Plenty of time for this girle to feed her addiction between traps when other people can get upwind or clear away from her. (yes it's an addiction, and yes I'm an ex-smoker and current heart patient).

rm

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've seen guys shoot with a cigarette between the fingers of their hand on the forearm. I've seen them shoot with a cigarette in their mouth. I've seen guys set their cigarette down on the walk while shooting, then pick it up, and puff a few times while walking to the next post. Shooting is an outdoor activity, the smoke rises and shouldn't be a bother for anyone else. Shooters are also exposed to powder smoke and at least minute amounts of lead. I really don't see how someone smoking on the line affects anyone but themselves.

And for the record, I've don't and have never smoked.

11. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

ATA has no rule but it can be interpreted as a "distraction". (It should be up to shoot management how to handle the "disruption". It could just as easily fall to removing the complaining person as it would to removing the smoker from the squad.)

International (bunker) rules do have a black and white rule about NO SMOKING on the line, behind the line or in view of anyone even watching the event. There is no room for discussion there, you are DQ'd if you do smoke.

12. romie

romie Active Member

jim
    I am glad you brought this up I am going to have my delagate see that we have a rule that if one does smoke it must have a filter... no roll your own!
    monty

13. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I absolutely detest the odor(s) of Old Spice, Longshot powder and flatulence. Should you be responsible for emitting any or all of the aforementioned odors can I have you removed from a squad on which I'm shooting? If so, by which rule? Is it a disruption of harmony(not to be confused with disruting harmony which is altogether different and only occurs in MI) or is it a shooter distraction?

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Tanda1, I would ask the individual to refrain from smoking, if he refuses, I would demand to be allowed to resquad.

If necessary I would use the "'distraction' and harmony rule. As an ex-smoker I'm a regular asshole about 2nd hand smoke...

In the ladies case, she chooses to abide by the teams rules or remove herself...

15. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

BigM,

Coach Porter's specific question was to whether there was or was not a rule against smoking while shooting trap. Or as what seems most likely, a rule against smoking between sub-events.

Since he is aware of the position of the other coach, one could assume that he was looking for an official rule of a sanctioning body. Further, Coach Porter stated, in the absence of such rule he was going to treat the team members as the adults they are, capable of making choices about legal activities for themselves.

I'm confused about what question your post answered.

16. running bear

running bear Member

Jim Porter, you are the one that sounds anal! I wouldn't want to coach for you. Everyone should walk off the line and leave her by herself if she wants to smoke on the line.

Buck

17. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

I'd let the coach make that rule for his team. If I was a coach I certainly wouldn't allow smoking.

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Wow, lot's of Obama voters here I guess; willing to take a way someone's legal right to smoke. I quit many years ago but before I did I smoked a pipe and yes sometimes on the line while shooting. That was many years ago before it was OK to take someone's legal rights away because it annoyed someone else. JRM

19. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Now ya went and done it, perga. You're going to get all those Harry-Nancys all riled up.

They are going to be falling all over themselves telling how its not about everyone else....its all about them.

Of course they will make it sound as though they are doing it for the good of mankind.

And oh ya, Ummm Dust....there is more than one coach...if'n you didn't catch that on the first reading, k?

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Of course! JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.