1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules question on scoring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by backfenceata, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

What are the PUBLISHED IN THE RULE BOOK rules or guidlines? I am iterested as to the individuals responsibility to watch squad mates targets and to hear the score persons call. With todays better hearing protection along with I-PODS(music) and some times less than inspired score persons, I am getting confused as to when to speak up as to an un clear call. Miss called targets can and do really change the out come of a shoot.

Is it ok to just accept the score persons call. What are the ATA guide lines or rules and where are they printed.
    I would like this enformation to pass on to our JR HIGH and HIGH SCHOOL team coaches.

The proceedures on checking that your total on each post is clear ( If you move on to next position then you have accepted your score on that post) checking your total is clear (after the squad leader signs the score sheet, the score can not be changed,unless miss added)

My question would be who makes the call if no one is watching?(squad mates)
    You hear the score keeper call out 4 for you and you know you broke 5, who makes the call? You hear a five and you know you missed one , but did the score keeper see a piece or is he or she too tired at the end of the day , who makes the call.

Thanks, Kirk

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It's all in the rule book.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You should question any call by the scorer at the time the call is made. Usually if a "lost" is called and you have hit the target yor squad mates will back you up. There are some scorers who are adament that they are correct regardless of what the squad vote is. Your choice is to get a shoot official involved but that won't guarantee any thing. The scorer has the final say on calls. There is no instant replay in this game.

Eric

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Not a bystander, only a contestant may question a scorer. Mixer is correct in the end the scorer is king...

5. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

MTA Tom , I am missing it the rule book, Please give me the page/section. I am looking for specifically the squad mates role as to the questioned shooters score.

thanks, Kirk

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Don't bother looking in the ATA book; it's not there. It is, however, in the PITA book. You can download either book from shootata.com or shootpita.com.

Neil

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

As explained, in ATA events the final call is the scorer's. Scorers do make mistakes so you should question calls that seem wrong, but in the end it is up to the scorer. There is no formal rule (and one isn't needed) about how you challange a call, just use common sense, don't disrupt the next shooter when he is about to shoot etc.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

backfenceata

"What are the ATA guide lines or rules and where are they printed. I would like this enformation to pass on to our JR HIGH and HIGH SCHOOL team coaches."

I am a little confused here you want to pass the information on to the team coaches. Then you say,

"I am missing it the rule book, Please give me the page/section. I am looking for specifically the squad mates role as to the questioned shooters score."

Well what are the requirements for being a coach, what are the coaches responsibilities. I would suggest that the Rulebook be required reading before you can even become a coach!!!!!! if you are a shooter you are advised,

"C. RULES OF CONDUCT OF AN ATA SHOOTER

Each member will be furnished a copy of these Official Trapshooting Rules,
    and it is assumed that the member will read and understand each rule.
    Members are strongly encouraged to know these Rules and abide by them for their own benefit and for the benefit of other shooters."

If you are going to teach the youth to shoot this game I feel you should read and try to learn as much as you can from the rules. Not just have someone lead you to what you want to know about. Read them all that is why they are there.

BTW there are those that will say that I am just being miserable. This is not the case I realize you are trying to do the right thing for your coaches and their shooters. I however would suggest that you require each coach and each shooter to read and understand as much of the rulebook as is possible. It will benefit each and every shooter and coach in the long run. You can also order rulebooks on line at http://www.shootata.com/Content/forms/ATA_Rule_Book.aspx

Bob Lawless

9. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

BOB LAWLESS, What???? I miss typed--"I am missing it the rule book" I am missing it in the rule book. Sorry for the typo. Neil addressed my question. But thanks for you insight BOB LAWLESS. Kirk

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Did they change the rule and you "have" to sign the score sheet now? Thought the rule book said "may"

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

320090T:

Your answer is part of Section VII, paragraph A, rule 13.

"The score sheet should be checked, confirmed, and initialed by
    the Squad Leader."

The complete rule 13 reads as follows:

"Every contestant in a squad shall be permitted to examine his/her
    score before the sheet is sent to the bulletin board or to the cashier’s
    office. The score sheet should be checked, confirmed, and initialed by
    the Squad Leader. The Squad Leader is encouraged to verify that any
    targets changed during a sub event are correctly noted as either dead
    or lost. After the completion of the last sub-event the score sheet will
    be handled as directed by shoot management."

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Everybody shooting should know the rules and help the scorer with the correct marking of the score. It's not written down like that exactly but if everybody ensured that the score is correct we can all feel confident that the score on the board is right.

Unfortunately, this concept is not always followed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.