1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules question for Neil Winston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mkstephen, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Neil,

In Trap & Field October 2008 page 94 in the column 'House Rules' Dave Kaiser states;

...."Speeds will be modified to 44 mph for single targets and 41 mph for the right-hand target of a pair of doubles, without reference to a +/- factor."...

At our club we currently set our single targets at 41 mph and the right hand target of doubles at 39 mph with a low power radar gun. The setting is measured on top of the trap house at the rear edge.

While a 2 mph increase does not seem like much it has a tremendus effect on target acquisition on angles for the average shooter.

Just would like to know if this actually is the A.T.A. rule change and if so when does it take effect?

Michael Stephenson - Secretary / Treasurer

Alexandria Conservation & Gun Club, Inc

Alexandria Indiana

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, while those numbers are correct for reading target speed from the inside of the house; reading from the 16 yard line it's just an error, that's all. And I had plenty of warning; Dave sent me the article on the 26th of August and he, John Hiter, and I discussed other aspects of it, but I never noticed those two numbers and the fact that the inside of the house is the appropriate place from which to read those numbers and that should have been cited.

The correct figures are 42 mph or more (singles,handicap) and 39 mph or more (doubles) from the 16 yard line, two more mph when the gun is in the house.

So why did the +- figure go away? Well, the speeds were always 42/39 and the +- was intended to just admit that there's always some variation. But what happened was that 41.5 became "the number" and variation was taken off that. In effect, clubs with the $$ for a tenth-reading radar gun could shave a MPH off target speed that integer-reading clubs couldn't. The new figures just even things out.

Does it make any difference? Two - as raised concerns above - surely would, but one? That was not really the point. The thing that most bothered me was the upper limit which has been now done away with. In singles and handicap, 42 will give you a nice target a lot of the time, but the previous limit of 39.5 for the right target in doubles often led to a _less_ breakable target than would have been set at a faster speed. Most ATA shooters shoot C or B in doubles, and more speed gives them a still-rising target in contrast to the falling one which is so hard to hit.

It has long been my opinion that faster doubles - 40 at a minimum - are better most of the time, all the time when there's a tailwind. Way too often clubs listen to AA shooters who are favored by soft doubles when they should be throwing a faster target which suits the slower, and more numerous, less-skilled member. AA and AAA can be left to fend for themselves; they are, after all, better shooters.

Neil

3. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Opps, sorry my mistake;

...At our club we currently set our single targets at 41 mph and the right hand target of doubles at 39 mph with a low power radar gun. The setting is measured on top of the trap house at the rear edge. ...

Should have been 42 mph singles and 39 mph right doubles. When we check them at the trap, right beside the throwing arm, they are 44 and 41 respectively.

Thanks Neil for the feed-back. Thanks also to FlaLagarto.

Michael Stephenson

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I thank you for the clarification too Neil. I also......read Dave Kaiser's column in the new T & F that came today and was wondering if the spec's had been speeded up a couple mph? Thank's for setting it straight.

BTW, I agree that 39 mph right target doubles seem a little soft.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.