1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Question for Neil or Pat ####

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JimmyP, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I was thinking( I know, very dangerous) What is the rule on shootoffs when it starts getting dark? If I am having trouble seeing the targets can I ask for a delay until it gets darker and the lights can be turned on or am I at the mercy of the referee? I have considerable trouble at dusk seeing targets but am fine under the lights. Dusk shooting would put me at a distinct disadvaantage over someone that can see better. What are the rules on this? I have never seen anything written or heard any one comment on this that I thought knew what they were talking about. Thanks

Jimmy

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I would think you can ask to have the lights turned on. Don't believe there's any reason for them not to be.

Eric

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shoot off targets are not registered. They are thrown to the same standards as registered targets unless all shooters agree to change them. There are no rules about adequate light for either registered or shoot off targets.

I have both been in and scored shoot offs where the lighting was so poor that unless the target was totally destroyed, it would have to be scored as lost. The term visible piece takes on a new meaning in poor light.

Pat Ireland

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yes you can ask for a delay, but ultimately it is up to management. If they call you for a shootoff and you don't want to shoot yet, you forfeit.

5. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Pat, Thank you for your answer. Just one more thing to get in my head. LOL Like I said above, I have a lot of trouble in low light conditions. Got to get me some clear or yellow lenses to help me all I can if there is a chance that I might be shooting in those conditions. Thanks again.

Jimmy

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jimmy- There is a period in the evening when you can't see the targets but it is not dark enough for the lights to help much. Colored lens will not help. My suggestion is to flip a coin and save shells. Flipping is based only on luck, but shooting under those conditions also relies much on luck.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is not enough light for the scorer to see target chips and weak hits. So he guesses at the outcome of each shot. Is that what you said Pat? HMB

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If the whole squad wanted to wait for darker conditions, then lights, what would happen?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- In very poor light conditions, small chips will be scored as lost targets. The rule refers to a "visible chip". I have refereed major championship shoot offs in low light, rain and fog. I did the very best I could and the shooters did the best they could under difficult conditions.

Pat Ireland

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That's not good enough. When coditions do not permit the game to be played fairly, it should stop and resume when conditions permit the game to be played properly. Anything less is a diservice to the competitors. HMB

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

HM - you contend that when conditions for the shoot off are very poor the shoot off should be postponed. So, if it is dark and raining on Sunday night, the last day of the shoot, everyone should wait around another day or two until it quits raining?

What is not fair about there shooters shooting against each other in a thick fog when chips cannot be seen? They are shooting under equal conditions and each has an equal opportunity. This might not be good, but it is fair.

Additionally, things are not always fair at a shoot. Some squads might shoot in the rain and other shoot when the Sun is shinning. Wind may affect one shooters targets on a squad and not the other four shooters on the squad. An announcement may come over the PA system just as you are ready to shoot, but not when I am ready to shoot. I might be the only shooter in the event that has a dud factory shell. We can only do the best we can with the given conditions. It might not be uniformly fair, but that is part of shooting trap. Things are not always perfect.

Pat Ireland

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

It is not fair to the competitors when the scorers cannot do their job. You seem to think that it is alright for targets to be scored lost even though they were hit and broken by the competitor. Your interpertation of the visable chip rule is absurd. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.