1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules question about shooting position

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bama73, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I have a question about shooting position/stance that I can't seem to find an answer to in the rule book. I take a very wide rifle like stance, one foot in front of the other, which causes my back foot to be on the line from the 16yd block to the 17yd block if that makes sense. I looked in the rules and saw the part about not being in front of the designated yardage line, and also about having at least one foot on the center line of one on each side of the center line, but can't find anything about placement of your back foot. My front and back foot are on the center line, and front is as close to the front line as I can get, but this still puts my back foot on the line. I was told you have to have both feet inside the designated block, but cant find the wording in the rule book. Any help on clarification on this would be greatly appreciated, as my back surgery is pretty much healed up and I am ready to start shooting competetively again.

Thanks, Byron Beard

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You are fine Byron, behind the 16 or your yardage line is key, along with the centerline. Shoot well and enjoy.

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Byron, as long as 1 foot is on or touching the centerline it doesn't matter where the other foot ends up as long as it is behind the yardage line. However, if you are to one side or the other of the centerline then the other foot must be on the opposite side of the centerline of the same post. Does that make sense? I think the whole purpose of the rule is just to make sure a shooter is not decreasing the angles by favoring one side or the other of a given post. I don't remember the last time I ever heard a no target call because of a foot fault. JRM

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Bama:

The above answers are correct. Just to make a point, if someone tells you you have to have your feet within the "designated block", you already know for sure they haven't read the rules.

There is no such thing in ATA rules, technically only a centerline and yardage lines exist. There are no defined sides to any position, and no restriction on one foot being farther back.

5. Bama73

Bama73 Member

Thanks all.

6. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

the only exception is for chair shooters, there feet can extend pass the ft 16yr line as long as the mass of shooters body is over the point where they would normally have stood. page 32 para 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.