1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rules on atv use at the grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

can anyone tell me the rules on atv at the grand
    sparta illinois what can be used and what canot

thanks jim

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The rules are simple. They can't be used.

Neil

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Question Neil. I saw a lot of them running around and it wasn't just for score keepers or trap personnel.

I saw a lot of them coming from where the campers were parked.

How can you say they can't be used?

Are all of those people that I saw using them in violation of the rules?

Hauxfan!

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If they have license plates and are street legal you can use them on any public road or the grand. The ones I saw there had plates on the back and lights etc..

Bob Schultz

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

4 wheelers that you get on like byke are not permitted golf carts gators and the like are permitted but must have proof of ins.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mollyone is correct and i think they must register them with the ATA or IDNR to get a permit. I think its free just a formality. This is just for the big shoots.----Matt

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I Have never been to Sparta and I don't know why people were using ATV's as Hauxfan says but the 2008 Grand program(2008 only because the 2009 program has not arrived yet).

It say "*Please note: IDNR Quads (also called ATV’s) will NOT be permitted, for personal or shooter use, at the complex."

You can all draw your own conclusions in the section of the program that deals with shooters transportation. This is the only reference to ATV I can find.

I have included the Web Address and I found the section on Golf Carts, Bicycles and Motor Bikes on page 20.

Bob Lawless

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I stand corrected.

I just don't know the difference between all those little 4 wheel critters out there running around.

If you are about to get ran over, they all look the same to me.......lol

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... ;)

Hauxfan!

9. grntitan

I'm at the facility at Sparta at least twice a week. I don't really understand why you need one there at all (for Trap anyway) since you can park right behind every bank in the complex. Now if you were shooting Sporting Clays well then i could understand. There is (2) awesome Sporting Clays courses there and there are no cars or trucks allowed on the paths thru them.----Matt

10. ivanhoe

grntitan

"I don't really understand why you need one there at all (for Trap anyway) since you can park right behind every bank in the complex."

Just out of curiosity how would you get to your bank if you were in a motor home in the camping area?????

Bob Lawless

11. grntitan

Bob----That is a valid point that i didn't think of. I guess there is some situations the warrant a golf cart or other side by side. The 4 wheelers do not belong out there. Thank you for correcting me for i never claimed to know it all.----Matt

12. ivanhoe

Matt at no time did I accuse you of being a know it all. When you don't have a Motor Home it is very easy to miss the transportation issues that go with them at shoots.

I was not reprimanding you for your view just explaining one of the other problems of attending such a large shoot.

Bob Lawless

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you Big Papa! Possible speeding and reckless driving are a couple reasons no ATVs are wanted there. Properly insured and ridden responsibly any alternative transportation should be accepted. Rule violators will or should have to leave the grounds for the duration of that shoot, kid and his family! I don't think there would be many violations regardless of horsepower in that case. Those same rules should apply to golf carts used there also! I almost got hit twice at Vandalia with those damned speeding golf carts! Besides, you can't hear them coming with all the background noise!

Hap

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

BIG PAPA, how are you proposing to "enforce the speed limit?" Are you gonna have a crew patrolling the grounds with radar guns. Ya can't just say "Looks like you were speedin a little there boy. Gonna hafta write you a ticket." You gotta have proof. Correct?

Gne J

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Trapshootin Hippie: Common sense is the rule, just plain and simple common sense. If someone is speeding or operating recklessly the officials will get the word and do the proper thing.

I agree with BIG PAPPA and HAP McTweeks use what you brung, but sensibly, most of the shooters drive courtously, and abide by the rules, it is the kids that seem to be the problem.

If you don't have a drivers license you don't drive the Carts, 4x4s, Mules Etc.

And the ATA or anyone else should not charge for permits, fees or other charges for this. There is already enough charges, and high prices, and ATA shooting fees.

Another thing ATA officials that had GOLF CART use let others use them at the GRAND in VANDALIA they did not abide by their own rules, they needed food so let others get it for them in their CART.

We are trying to build this sport NOT TAX IT.

Just My opinion and thats my OPINION and I am sticking to it.

Most have paid a fee for their state Sticker on their 4x4.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I can't remember the last time I saw a motorhome that wasn't towing a car, so I doubt that transportation is a problem.

17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Milkbone, maybe the wife went shopping and took the toad. Left 'em stranded.

18. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

You gotta point there hippie

19. ivanhoe

Hap

"Rule violators will or should have to leave the grounds for the duration of that shoot, kid and his family! I don't think there would be many violations regardless of horsepower in that case. Those same rules should apply to golf carts used there also! I almost got hit twice at Vandalia with those damned speeding golf carts!"

So Hap I have to assume you are talking about all the rules. If so when do you suppose that they should fix the rules about pedestrians. I mean if you as you say almost got hit by speeding golf carts and there is a rule in place that say.

"• NO cart/moped travel on any pedestrian sidewalk you may cross only, at appropriate intersections."

So shouldn't the rules also reflect that no Pedestrians should be in the roads they should only be allowed to walk on pedestrian sidewalks.

I also find it interesting that this statement is in BIG PAPA"s proposal without regard for making it so"

"The issue is SPEED and SAFETY. It should not have anything to do with the body style/type of the machinery."

As far as I am concerned the following statement doesn't do what you propose.

"Drive like you have some sense. If you do not, you should be ticketed and your privileges should be revoked. ZERO TOLERANCE!

This statement doesn't protect anyone. Your privileges should be revoked if you break the rules. If you don't until just before you hit someone will ZERO TOLERANCE protect everyone????

There is a lot of talk about safety but the kind I am seeing is kind of like locking the Barn door after the Horse is gone.

Face it ATV's are not made for 10 or 15 MPH travel so the right move has been made eliminate them yet in the name of SAFETY you all feel that it would be safer to allow them.

Well Gee why do I have a problem finding any logic in that move?????

One more little point I would like to make. Mr Bryant say that.

"And the ATA or anyone else should not charge for permits, fees or other charges for this. There is already enough charges, and high prices, and ATA shooting fees."

Not looking for more trouble but correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the State of Illinois own the World Recreational Shooting Complex in Sparta? If so how is the ATA going to tell Illinois there will be no fees?????

Bob Lawless

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, for a tad more concerning the golf cart usage at Vandalia. I don't know the exact written rule in place there at the time but I saw a guy in a wheelchair hit with a golf cart! Upset the chair dumping the guy on the ground, I helped others get him back in his chair! Thank goodness he wasn't hurt!

As for ATVs, the ones I've used will crawl along all day long at a snails pace. Why do you question everyone's opinions when it comes to a dumb ass rule put in place by our elected officials of ATA?? I don't know who made that rule at Sparta but I do when we shot in Vandalia. I suspect the vendor having exclusive right to rent the carts in Sparta had more input in this rule than anyone else. It's still a bad rule for such a grand shoot.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.