1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules interpretation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Had an interesting question when punching a shooters card today. We shot the handicap part of the program. A shooter broke a 97. Luckily there were only 6 shooters in the handicap (depending on your point of view). Anywho I know a 96 gets you an automatic 1/2 yd. punch. The rule book says that a 97, 98 or 99 OR a winner of $750 gets a WHOLE yd. punch. Is it $750 with ANY score or 97, 98 or 99. Rule book when the shooter and I read it was a bit ambiguous. How do you all interpret it?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

I wish I could say it was me, but alas.....

Later tonight I'll be reporting on a couple of shoot results, Stay tuned...

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The question is........how much did YOU punch his card?

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Jerry, the book seems clear to me when it states "any score of 97, 98, and 99 or winning a total of $750 or more in a single handicap event will automatically earn 1 yard." Where is the question? You could shoot 85 and be the winner of $900.00 and get the punch, correct?

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

trapshootin hippie

"You could shoot 85 and be the winner of $900.00 and get the punch, correct?.

Jerry I think the hippie has it correct.

Bob Lawless

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How 'bout if you win $900 in the calcutta? Do you get a punch for that......

John C. Saubak

7. trapshootin hippie

John, the rules say "options and added money." Guess the big question would be whether or not the calcutta is an option.

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Calcutta is not an option since the ATA does not condone calcutta events?

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"special event" lol......isn't that an option? I s'pose we're getting down to Clintonesque definitions here, like is this or is this not.....sex?

So, the shooter plays the "special event", if he wins he gets 25%......buyer gets 75%. Surely the shooter played the "special event" option? OTOH, the buyer might not even be an ATA member.......

John C. Saubak

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

John, give the buyer a yard just in case he joins at a later date.

Luck in winning some cash shouldn't have any place in the "earned yardage" rules of the game! Bad rule thinking it will affect sandbaggers. Who's afraid of sandbagging? Hap

11. trapshootin hippie

John, have you ever seen a shooter play all the opotions, 25's, 50's, special 50's and the works, only to miss 5 or 6 targets on the last trap. Or maybe on the first trap, if the payout on the special 50 is large on the last 50. Shooter could win over 500 and not get a punch for yardage. Same shooter could make the rounds every weekend or so and clean up on the money, and NEVER get a punch. Something to think about, in case ya haven't already.

Gne J

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gne J- The situation you described above was an actuality. A few shooters names were presented to the Board of Directors who had done what you described for several years at larger shoots. That was the primary support for the "punch for money" rule. I supported and voted for the rule change.

Pat Ireland

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

There was no money involved in Sunday's shoot. I ended up punching the gentleman's card for 1 yd. for the 97 in handicap. The OR part in reguards to the $750 kind of threw me.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. trapshootin hippie

Jerry, seems that you did the right thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.