1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules for "Straights"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bmcgrew, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmcgrew

bmcgrew TS Member

Hi guys,
    I've got a trivial question but something I don't know about. I had one of my shooters run his first 50 straight today in the last 2 rounds of the 100 singles event in an ATA shoot. My question is, in order for him to earn a 75 straight, does it have to be done within one tournament or will the first 25 from next week's ATA shoot count towards it?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rules for

Maybe it,s just me BUT 75 straight is from the first target on the first trap of a 100 target event . If you shoot a 100 target event and miss the first target and run the rest you have a 99 with a none straight. But if you shoot the same event and only miss the last target for a 99 you have a 99 straight . Also you can not count a 200 target program as the same event as far as being a straight ie. last 50 and first 50 in the 200 would not be 100 straight per-say All straights are shot in the same event on the same day .

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rules for

There are no rules.

Neil

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Rules for

Technically, your friend can only be credited with a 50 straight, since he shot the 50 at one event. Another 25 at another event is only worth a "25 straight".

If you shoot a 100 target event and miss one, the worse you could get would be one "50 straight" and one "25 straight", the best would be a "75 straight"....depending on the round in which you missed the one target.
    Straights are given on the basis of 25-bird rounds, not on 100-bird events.
    I.e. if you missed the first or the 25th bird in a 100-bird event, you are credited with a 75 straight. Same if you missed the 76th or the 100th bird.

5. guerini

guerini TS Member

Rules for

I broke a 100 straight once, in a 200 singles event, 24-24-25-25 25-25-24-25 I count it but no one else does.... AHHHH the middle hundred that was a good year... 197 @ The Ohio State Shoot in 2005 D class won a lot of money but no trophy, yes no trophy for a 197 in D class, not even a shoot off.... But hit every Lewis Class plus Zone team money and class purse come out with about $1100.00....

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rules for

If your friend shot 25 straight in the first round next week, he would have a 50 (from last week) and a 25 straight. Now in the real world, he has 75 consecutive birds. Wayne

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At a shoot I went 23-25-25-25 in singles & in the following handicap I went 25-25-24-23-- I believe I'm only entitled to a 75 straight patch--still waiting on my first 100.

Phil Berkowitz

8. guerini

guerini TS Member

Rules for

See I told ya...

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rules for

We laugh about an old shooter that no longer shoots registerd trap only practice . If you ask him monday how he did last sunday shooting practice he will say he broke a 100 . But he don,t tell you it took him 125 targets to do it .

For me I only shoot registerd and the first target I miss is were the Straight stops . To me it,s the only honest way to figure it . People can (and do) figure it anyway you like but if it,s not from number one (first target) so what ?

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Rules for

We had quite a discussion at the club last year when someone questioned giving 50 straight patches for what wasn't fifty. Our summer program is twenty five at sixteen, twenty five at twenty. shoot as often as you want, the highest of either end goes for the score for your team...obviously some shoot several times and take the twenty five from the first fifty and the twenty five from the last, at different yardages and feel they should get a fiftty straight patch.

We finally agreed that fifty straight was fifty from go.....IN A ROW.

I had one hundred and fifty straight last summer but is was over two weeks and at two different clubs. No way was I going to ask for patches.

11. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

Rules for

A straight has to start from the front.Some of you guys that have been at this for a long time will remember when ties(in club programs) were decided by long run from the back.The 99 that missed the first one beat the 99 who missed the last one.They both broke 99 and both ran 99 straight,but the long run from the back would win. Patrick Swartz

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Rules for

How about this scenario. 500 bird marathon. A shooter runs the last 200 targets but the ATA does not count it as a 200 straight. Does that seem fair? Larry Evans

13. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Rules for

Got my "125" patch by shooting a 25 in our home club 25 bird league. Then shot a 50 2 days later in our traveling 50 bird league. Then another 25 in our home club league the following week. Then another 25 out of the 1st 50 at another club 2 days later. Went another 7 targets before I missed one. Do I have to give the 125 patch back? Does anyone have a 132 patch I could have? This was over 20 years ago! I would think that if you miss the 1st and last birds in a 50 bird event that there was NO 25 straight to be claimed even though you went 48 straight. Been there, done that! Anyone have a "48" patch? I don't think that shooting from different yardages should be applied account I've seen 50 straight patches and 50 straight handicap patches. The handicap patches don't say 17 yards or 27 yards! Dave

14. oz

oz Active Member

Rules for

I shot a 100 singles (registered). the club did not have a patch. I e-mailed the ATA and they sent me one. oz

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Rules for

there seems to be a mix up between a straight and a run,,,run goes event to event and place to place,,,just dont miss,,,,straight goes from first bird in event or sub event,,,last 50 of 100 is 50 straight but run from 25 to 125 in a 200 only gets you a 75,, no carey over event to event ,, at least thats what i've been told

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rules for

Ditto on 682LINY's post.

If you break 75 targets in a row in any 100 event, whether it be the first 75 or the last 75, it's still a 75. It matters not if it's the first three sub-events or the last three. Honestly, there is really no "rule" for it as Neil posted because it is really meaningless, except to the shooter him/herself.

As 682 said a run is different.

I missed my 3rd target at the Grand one year in the Vandalia Handicap and broke the rest. It was a 99, but in figuring the money, I believe they went from 100 to 1, because I got the majority of it.

WW

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rules for

Not exactly on the subject, but-----. I shot a 200 straight in an ATA Central Zone shoot-off one year. Would the ATA recognize that as part of the grand Slam?

Thanks,

Steve E.

18. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Rules for

If your over 12 years old a straight starts from the first bird of a event other than that your acting like a 12 year old. (JMO) Post-2

19. bmcgrew

bmcgrew TS Member

Rules for

Guys,
    I appreciate the responses. It sounds like the "rules" vary from club to club or person to person, so here's what I'm going with. It's a high school FFA team in our second year of shooting, so I'm going with what "682LINY" and "whiz white" said. They will be eligible for a straight patch in any one event starting with bird 1, 26, 51, or 76. (ie... birds 26-50 straight = 50 straight patch)
    Thanks,
    Bruce

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rules for

Steve- Your 200 straight was fine shooting; however, shoot off targets are not registered so it would not count toward a grand slam.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap handicap 25 straight patch