1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules for Scope Magnification ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgun, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgun

shotgun TS Member

Are there any rules for what is the max power scope you can have when shooting ATA targets. If so where can I find it.. Thanks

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

ROTFLMFAO,,,,,,

3. GRR

GRR TS Member

IT'S IN THE RULE BOOK...I BELIEVE IT'S 1 POWER

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

These guys are no help. What you do is take your barrel length (34), divide it by your scope length(17) and the result is your magnification level(2). Very simple formula. The longer the barrel the more magnification. Based on that if your barrel was (51) inches and you were using the same scope you could turn your magnification up to (3). Bulge.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

a search of the ATA PDF rule book shows no occurrence of the word "scope".

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Well we can see that the village idiots have never seen anyone use a shotgun scope at trap. Many shooters with various eye problems have used some form of a scope.

Shotgun; I don't think there are any rules pertaining to it's use.

Don

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The "scopes" I have seen used are not magnifying devices. They are electronic sights. They have worked well for some who have vision loss. Instead of using an off set rib, they use an off set electrical sight. One problem with these sights is that the batteries run out of potential at inopportune times, often just as the shooter is ready to call "pull".

A scope with magnification could cause problems. As magnification increases, the field of vision decreases.

Pat Ireland

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Which Ljutics came with scopes? I have seen a couple that were factory setups.

ss

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have seen the shotgun ones that magnigfy 2 or 3 times with the red dot. I am not saying it is the answer but it allowed a once good shooter to continue shooting for a few more years.

There was a shooter at the Grand one year who was an engineer and had been injured severely. He had rigged up a harness, scope and a electronic trigger that allowed him to shoot and he did damn well considering.

Don

10. shotgun

shotgun TS Member

I'm trying to help a 80 plus year old to continue shooting we have a 1 power and a 2 1/2 power scope the 1 power was used by a shooter in Washington State years ago. My friend was a good shooter but now has major eye problems. He was told that some where in the rules there was a max power rule. Does that exist or not? I'm unable to find anything about scopes let alone power.. Thanks

11. setter

setter Member

There is no max power rule. In fact there are no rules regarding scopes; so its open to do whatever.

12. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Back in the late 60's and/or early 70's, there were a couple of shooters in New Mexico shooting with Weaver l.5X scopes on their model 12s. I fired 2 or 3 shots with one of their guns and can sum up my experience with these words: If you can break a winning score using any power scope, I will certainly be your host at the beer tent next time there.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've forgotten the mans name from MT that shot a model 12 with a low powered scope at the big Las Vegas shoots in the early 70s. He shot it extremely well and you had to have your "A" game on to beat him!! I only saw him shoot handicaps and he won at times with that rig!

Hap

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The "secret" to using a "scope' is a long eye relief.. and mounted half way down the barrel..so you can keep both eyes open.. leaving a reticle superimposed on the target.. A 1 to 1.5 power works great.. You get the depth of field.. by using both eyes..

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I think an EoTech might be a better option.

Don Verna

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

burris has that new electro bead or something that is like a halo-sight mounted on the rear of a auto style reciever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.