1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules for $100K Special Event?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doubles100, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

Are the "rules" posted somewhere?

I know that a shooter must use shells purchased at the shell house.

Is there a minimum number of events that a shooter must enter to qualify; i.e., if shooter wins his/her 1st handicap event, must he/she continue to shoot cap events?

If the shooter runs the 100 from the 22 yard line and qualifies, does he/she shoot the special event from the qualifying yardage (22) or from 24.5?

Will's Dad

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

New shells required, but can be purchased anywhere.

I believe you must shoot a minimum of 4 handicap events (of the 9 total).

I haven't seen anything definitive on the 3rd question.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This shoot-out/shoot-off as it's been called is now an EVENT. That means earned yardage prior will apply during the event. If you win an event and get 2 yards, your new yardage is where you'll shoot the "special event" from.

Hap

4. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

So the 27 yard winner has the advantage of shooting from his current yardage but the short yardage guy who got lucky gets punched to a new and unfamiliar yardage

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Yep however, I don't see where it's an advantage shooting from the 27--I don't care how long anyone's been perched there.

It'll take more than luck to win this thing no matter where you shoot from.

Guy Babin

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Are you guys sure about that yardage/punch info you are posting? I haven't seen anything official on it from ATA yet?

Not saying you are wrong, but you may be taking a leap trying to say it will be treated as another regular event in the program, as opposed to the other special event shoot outs.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Here's but one post concerning this matter. There was another by Ricky Marshall but I'm not going looking for it either. Where would the fun be if some unknown peon shooting from the 18-26 happened to get in and win this "event?"

Hap

Subject: $100K Challenge?
    Email: karlaannharrison@hotmail.com
    Date: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 - 10:28 PM ET
    Website Address:

"At an ATA registered shoot, if you win yardage in a handicap event, you will shoot from that new yardage at the next registered handicap event that you participate in, whether it is the next day, week, or month. The $100K Challenge is being treated like another registered event, so--if you win one of the nine handicap events, and earn yardage, and qualify to shoot the "challenge", you will shoot from your earned yardage. This challenge is not being considered a "shoot-off" where you would normally shoot from the yardage that you were on before you won that event. This a just like shooting the tenth handicap event of the Grand."

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Maybe it will turn out that way, but has the ATA said anything yet? Nothing against Karla, but that post was pretty early-on in the process and was not something I'd hang my hat on.

ATA should have posted better descriptions of the format by now.

9. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Info on the ATA Website added 3/3/2010 notes the qualifiers will have a chance to SHOOT OFF for the prize. I would say that means shooting from the yardage from which you qualified.

It also says, come back often for more details.

$100K Grand American Challenge Details!
    The Amateur Trapshooting Association is proud to announce the first ever $100,000 Grand American Challenge courtesy of Bill and Lee Ann Martin! Competitors in the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships will have a chance to compete for this "winner-takes-all" purse on Saturday, August 14, 2010. During the Grand American, nine Handicap events will take place and a qualifier of each of those events will have a chance to SHOOT OFF for the $100,000 prize. The last shooter standing will walk away with it all!

Come back often to shootata.com for further details.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Here's what Ricky Marshall wrote after talking with Bill Martin on the phone back when we were discussing this on TS back in March! At least Ricky agreed he and I would shoot this off from 50 yards if it came down to the two of us left standing!! :) At least from there, I'm about as familiar with shooting clays as Ricky might be? LOL

Hap

Subject: Grand Hndcp shoot off question
    Email:
    Date: Fri, Mar 05, 2010 - 01:19 PM ET
    Website Address: http://www.richardmarshalljr.com

"Carl,

This is a special event shootoff. Talked to Bill this morning and as i stated above is how he wants it. Yes you do have to shoot a minimum of 4 handicaps to qualify. Everything should be finalized in April. No matter whats decided by the ATA & Bill Martin just be greatful that there is someone like this that wants to donate his HARD EARNED money to the sport he LOVES!!!!!

Richard Marshall Jr."

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

So, just to be clear, it sounds like there is no basis to say shooters will shoot at new punched yardage. Nothing either way as I see it.

12. Hap MecTweaks

870, I do hope your call is correct too as it's only fair for everyone to move to a new yardage rather than one where he's shot hundreds of thousands from. Unfamiliar territory works on the minds of the best of the best and what's a fair move for one is fair for all?

My wager is on the highest average shooter that wins a prior event. Maybe we should have a parking lot calcutta on the winner once we know the players? Would add even more excitement for the crowd playing the dough game?

Hap

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Geno ... why aren't there more "parking lot calcuttas"?

I don't think they are against rules, but, coming from shooting live birds, the lack of pools and side bets is interesting.

Will you bank? I'll make the first offer.

Bob

14. Hap MecTweaks

Bob, that would be a huge responsibility for one to undertake, considering the amount of cash. Possibly a group instead of one watching out for best interest of all would be the ticket!

Getting the word out would be easy too, would spread like wildfire once the details were worked out. Maybe we can build another fire?? Of course all participants must be on the grounds at the auction for collection and dispersment purposes? You plan on being there Bob? I'll be there from the start to finish.

Hap

15. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

My question has been answered. There are NO "posted" "RULES" or someone would have directed me to them.

Is that not a little strange in that we are talking about a $100K and its less than a month away?

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I don't find it strange at all.

It doesn't matter until the Grand starts.

The rules are going to be whatever they are.

If someone wins a handicap event and they don't like the rules for the special event, I'm sure that the runner-up will be more than happy to take their place.

17. Fox32

Fox32 Member

If you are a AA Skeet or Sporting Clays shooter you MUST shoot from the 25 yard line.

18. 870

870 Well-Known Member

doubles100:

I believe you are correct, and I agree it is an issue that should have been clearly addressed by now. I'd just treat it as a special event no different from the many others that are held at the Grand, and have everyone shoot from the yardage they were on in the event that qualified them for the shootout. Others would have them shoot at the current yardage as of the time of the shootout. Could be done either way, but a decision should be made since the question seems to come up often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.