1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules Controversy, Again.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

WE had a registered shoot this weekend and the number of targets that I registered is in controversy. WE had a 5 man squad that shot a 200 singles event, which we completed. Two more shooters arrived and wanted to shoot a 100 bird event, Singles, which I participated. Our erudite club manager stated that the two other shooters targets would be applied to the first hundred of the 200 bird race. My contention was that 200 bird event was over and the 100 bird event was a separate, independent event. I contacted an ATA official and he is in agreement with the club manager. They both know more about Trapshooting than I but I beg to disagree. My reasoning for this would be that we have two handicaps at the KY State Shoot on Friday. Based on what they are saying if you shot the 2nd handicap only, your targets should be applied to the first handicap.

I had never thought about this before but I would like to get it straight. I might like to shoot two 200 events in the same day in the future, maybe some day I will be able to break a 25.

**** 8-29-2011 update: The manager informed me that we were not specifically shooting a 200 bird race, we were shooting a marathon. *********

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Charlie, I can't answer your question, but I would like to know if there was a printed program for this shoot or was it a targets only; come and shoot whatever you want?

I believe you stated that you shot a 200 target event and them some others wanted to shoot just 100 targets. Don't understand how this could happen if there was a posted program. But then again??????

Steve

3. Charlie Becknell

There was no printed program, just a little local shoot to allow people to get their target requirements for the year. I would have made the state team if I had shot better ( actually, I needed to shoot a lot better. Maybe nest year they will let me shoot 125 targets in 100 bird event).

Charlie

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"They both know more about Trapshooting than I but I beg to disagree. My reasoning for this would be that we have two handicaps at the KY State Shoot on Friday. Based on what they are saying if you shot the 2nd handicap only, your targets should be applied to the first handicap."

I don't have the answer for Singles but you can have a 200 targets event for singles but for Handicap each 100 targets is a separate event for awarding punches but of course you can award trophies on each 100 or the 200.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Never heard of such a thing, but I'll bet you there are serveral on this site that are at this moment frantically digging through the ATA rules book.

Steve

6. Charlie Becknell

I have never seen a rule prohibiting multiple singles events. My rule book only requires 3 shooters to have a separate event.

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

What did they do with your third 100 singles?

8. Charlie Becknell

That remains to be seen.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that if they have 3 people that want to shoot a hundred bird event, they can have the event and targets will be registered, along with the 200 bird event that you shot. You say two people showed up and wanted to shoot a hundred bird event. If management was on the ball and ok'd it, don't see where the problem lies, except in management, or lack of communication.

GneJ

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The 200-target event was one event, and the next 100 targets was a separate event, just like you thought.

If the facts are as described, shoot management is wrong. There is no need to put the other two shooters scores in with the 200-target event as that means your third 100 targets can't be registered.

Contact your Delegate and get it straightened out.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I will never understand stuff like this. You shot 300 registered targets. Why on God's green Earth wouldn't they allow you to count them?

12. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

With 3 or more shooters involved, the last 100 would be treated as marathon targets and registered.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You shot at them so they must be scored. Your 100 had to be credited as you are not allowed to shoot practice with registered. You should have 300 registered with scores on your record now.

Don

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We do marathons all the time. The first 200 is one event as stated above. The second 100 is another event. You must have three shooters to have an event. You can do this all day long as long as you have three in an event. You shot two events, a 200 event, and a 100 event. All count and are registered. You club manager made it lots harder than necessary.

15. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Unless the other shooters that came late shot 200 in that event, which can happen. But it sounds to me that they only shot 100 so it had to be a third event otherwise they would have registered only 100 out of a 200 bird event which wouldn't be very good for their average. Sounds like the shoot management didn't know what they were talking about, happens alot!

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry, kgun_shooter, but the shooters shooting only the 1st or 2nd 100 of a 200-target would not figure their average for that event based on 200 targets. It would still be figured on the 100 targets they shot at.

17. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

"WE had a 5 man squad that shot a 200 singles event, which we completed. "

Sorry, V10, but from the original post he said it was a 200 bird event! Not a marathon or separate singles event. It looks to me like the shoot management doesn't know how to distinguish between the two. If they were 3 separate events then he should have been allowed to register his targets for the third hundred. There is a big difference between one 200 bird event and three 100 events.

18. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Kgun Shooter -

V10 was addressing your comment about affecting their average. If you enter an event (100 or 200) and only shoot the first 25 targets and break them all, your average is 100 percent. Your score would be reported to the ATA as 25x25, not 25x100 or 25x200. You only get scored on sub-events that you shoot.

Scott

19. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Charlie,

Did you pay the registered price for those extra 100 targets or did you just pay for the targets?

20. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Scott,

I can't find a rule that states anything contrary to what you said. If that is what V10 was talking about then I apoligize. But if the two guys that showed up late knew they weren't going to shoot the 200 bird event, then the shoot management should have turned in the first 200 targets separately from the third so the gentlemen above could have gotten an extra 100 registered targets. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.