1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule on Prescription Pain Med?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Clarification needed here. I know alcohol is prohibited when shooting, no problem. Does this also apply to prescription pain medicine to treat a chronic illness? If the medicine does NOT impair a person's ability to speak, walk or handle the shotgun safely, can it be taken?

Normally, those who regularly take pain med's for chronic pain DO NOT GET HIGH, however, I realize there can be exceptions to the rule.

I have 2 severe forms of arthritis and shot today. One of the "benefits" of one of them causes the cartilage in my ribs (at the breastbone) on the left side to get inflamed. This doesn't happen often. I was in agony during Handicap. There wasn't enough time between singles & 'caps to take ibuprofen in time to lessen the pain. I have low-dose pain med's that would've helped immensely, but the "no alcohol" rule reverberated in my head. The ibuprofen kicked in just about the end of the 'caps -- too late to salvage my game, but I did start feeling better.

I'd like to know for the next time, so I can plan better. Thanks.

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

If there is a warning on the scrip bottle that states to not use machinery, or may cause dizziness, I would definitely refrain from using it while shooting.

2 rules are on this ... Section 4, #I, para 8 and section XII, #B, para 2

Both state it is up to the shoot management, unless there is an obvious degree of intoxication.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

When the targets come out on the trunks of the pink elephants...it's time to drop out.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Buzz, I certainly hope you never have to go through or experience the type of pain being asked about guy! I've fought the same thing for years and it does affect the shooting drastically. Only my love of shooting carried me on despite those pains.Lighten up and quit being a horses exhaust all the time. Hap

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As long as they don't impare you to the point that would become dangerous. In consderation of the age most trapshooters are I would imagine quite a few are on some type.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hap, when you get so foamed up that you can't recognize humor...maybe you're the one who needs to lighten up.

Take a deep breath...

And just as an aside - how do you know, that I don't know?

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

FlaLagarto - thanks for the rule reference. Just what I wanted.

Just for clarification, I know how this particular medicine makes me feel - it just takes the edge off the pain. It does not impair me in anyway (I don't get high) or I wouldn't be able to get in the car and drive down my driveway, let alone 15-20 miles to my club. I can function just fine. I would not have been a danger to others. I typically take rx strength ibuprofen at regular intervals throughout the shooting day`and I'm fine. Today wasn't one of those days since we moved quickly from event to event.

Also, this is the very first time, that I ever considered taking a pain pill whilst shooting.

Thanks for the info -- good to know in the future, in case this happens again.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Some times the impairment from the pain is worse than the impairment from the medication. Fred

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

buzz-gun- Hap has had some chronic problems that produce a lot of pain. He keeps going, he complains little and he has suffered greatly. I hope his move to the desert has helped him. Hap was, and still may be, a good candidate for around 60 mg of Oxycontin per day. He is also a very good shot.

Pat Ireland

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hey, Hap...just wanted to let you know that the love from your friends (including me) is MUCH greater than the pain you'll ever experience. You've touched a lot of lives in a very positive way. I hope you are feeling better these days.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Buzz, I apologize to you since I didn't recognize your attempt toward humor in pain. I took your attempt as a way of mocking those hooked on alcohol and experiencing what's called DTs.Not having first hand experience in that area, I failed.

Moving to the southwest desert has helped me tremendously, it's allowed me to shoot more pain free days. I remember hearing folks speak of the desert southwest as being good for those suffering from the effects of arthritis and thought to myself, yeah right, what a crock. Whether it's barometric pressure or a combination of that and low humidity, it's very true in my case! By far the best move I've ever made for my love of shooting, among others.

Thanks to my friends Pat Ireland and Recurveyarcher, I value your friendship above opinions every time and will till my last day. Both of you are solid as rocks and I value that in friends a lot.

Threads such as this are mighty important and if such discussions could help even a few continue shooting longer, I say it's a great thread. What Fred B. says above is very true also! Shooting a while back without the aid of my extra strength aspirins, I almost collapsed on line while raising my gun to my shoulder from a searing back pain attack! A couple guys from the clubhouse ran to me thinking I'd had a heart attack!! When the time arrives I have to depend on the heavy duty doses of much stronger pain medication, I will have to give up my most favorite past time, but not till then!! Hap

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Hap, I totally sympathize with you and am so glad you're doing better in the desert. I hope you have many more days of shooting rather than pain.

I also appreciate your total understanding of the situation...thank you.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

browning4u, if I had been disqualified for all the times I've been under the influence of Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium, I'd have had to find another past time. If you don't feel "under the influence" in a negative manner, I'd not worry 'bout it. As far as that Hap-py fellow in AZ, as soon as I can shed some baggage, I'm moving into his shed to enjoy the sun and quail.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. Hap MecTweaks

Sir Dodd: Jump right in, the air is nice! You are more than welcome to share my shed anytime! The mat says welcome for good reason. You do need to get outa that wet environment also my friend! It's good for what ails you and your shooting too! Quail for dinner do? Hap

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't take Naproxen, but in my circle, we call Advil, Motrin, ibuprophen "Brown M&Ms". None of these will affect your ability to shoot or your judgement.

Even some "prescipion only" are sometimes necessary! A sigle Vicodin will take the edge off pain, without any impairment. Example: at a club shoot, one Vicodin during sign up and I was able to shoot a 50/50 in Singles, 49/50 in Caps and by the time we got to Doubles....it had pretty much worn off and my score went into the dumper.

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

tell you what,,,I take prescrip pain meds evey time before I shoot,,,,,I have had 9 knee surgies,,including total replacement in 2003,,I have broken most of my fingers,,,both knee's ,,one ankle,,,,have had torn ligamints,,,and torn cartalige in diffrent places,,,,dislocated my sholders enough that when an ortopedist listens to them he cringers,,,,damm rite I take a pain med before I shoot,,,I also take it any time I have to sit , ride or drive,or fly for over an hour,,,,or spend all day on my feet

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey Hap, one of these days, maybe sooner than not.... BTW, have found a serious need for fresh salmon along with the birdies. We just might have to drill ourselves a river out back, put a sign by it saying it's Ketchikan, AK (pretty close to AZ), and grow some of those fishes, eh?.....Bob Dodd

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Back about 2000 or so I was "walking wounded". I had 4 bad discs in my back and I became a real good friend to prescription pain meds. Ibuprophen, Vicodin, Oxycontin and all the muscle relaxers. The funny thing about them is if you have pain, they will not wack you out (given you follow your Dr.'s dosage instructions). If you are not in pain those pharmaceuticals WILL MESS YOU UP. I had L5 removed and still have one blown and two bulging discs. Luckily I no longer need any of those drugs except for the occasional Advil for a tight, sore back. Again I'm lucky that it is hard to remember how bad the pain was. I don't want to experience pain that bad again.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

682LINY,

It sounds like we should have installed training wheels on your Harley???

Guy

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hap those PINK ELEPHANTS are harder than hell to hit, especially after I totalled my car on Thursday 16th of the Ohio state shoot and could not shoot the rest of the shoot, and until a month later, pain Meds did not work, so quit taking them,seat belt and air bag were hell on the ribs and lower right ribs, no broken bones but a lot of swelling. Had a little practice then on the PINK ELEPHANTS, I killed a few but most jumped out of the trees, that black stuff between their toes were SLOW PYGMY'S.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.