1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rugger 44 mag carbine

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by zap, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zap

zap TS Member

0   0   0

Looking for a ruger lever action carbine in 44 mag, please respond if you have one for sale tks Dennis

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

One in Springfield, Mo. Mash the link.

HM

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I did not know Ruger made a "lever action". The Ruger .44 mag carbine I remember is a semi-auto.

Jim Skeel

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

skeeljc,

It's pretty much just like the 22 lever action (model 96?). They are fun shooters, just not very accurate, like a lot of the pistol cartridge rifles.

ss

5. 56007

56007 TS Member

0   0   0

I believe Ruger made an auto 44 mag. carbine and Marlin made a 44 mag. lever action.

6. skeeljc

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

If I was going to spend $600 on a used .44 mag carbine I would go for the semi-auto version. It could double as a house gun when it was not deer hunting.

Jim Skeel

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

0   0   0

Why would most people want a relatively low powered cartridge in a rifle?
    (Compared to most real rifle rounds energy wise?) Sure, anything will work for a house gun.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

There are some states now that allow straight cased pistol cartridge rifles during deer season. This has really driven the value of these guns right through the roof. They really don't shoot very well out past 100 yards so I can find no reason why they are so desireable.

I use my muzzleloader for gun season as it shoots out to 200yds very accurately (3" 4 shot groups). I may take a hunting trip next year where my muzzleloader isn't allowed and I'm looking very hard at the Savage 220f. It is a 20 ga slug gun that is sub MOA at 100yds!

ss

9. skeeljc

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I always thought the Ruger .44 mag auto carbine would make a dandy woods deer gun. Great for shots under 100 yards. Put a low power (3x or 4x) scope on it for us old guys. I live in Indiana so the .44 mag is legal for deer.

Jim Skeel

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

KEN X Indiana has made some pistol cartidges legal (357 cal and over).
    Ruger Has reinterduce the 44 mag Auto again . So you can buy an older one or a new one . But for anything past 100 yards get a good Muzzleloader

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Since the intro of the Hornady LeverEvo ammo for handguns..things have improved greatly for the pistol cartridge levers..the 357 mag can easily stretch to 150yards in a good little marlin...My 1894 will group 2.5" at 100 with the factory stuff and is still steaming along at a good clip...I've knocked down some rather large pigs at nearly 150 with good results from a ground blind when I lived in Texas..my favorite hunting by far...my Marlin 41Mag is my favorite to carry and is deadly with my hardcast gas-check top end loads..The 444 is biggy daddy if its something big that bites

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

0   0   0

I think being able to use the same round for both handgun and rifle was the start of this trend. I really love my Marlin lever for plinking. Doesn't feed .38 too well, but using .357 brass cures that. I load them to .38 loads, usually.

capvan

13. a budine

a budine Member

0   0   0

ALF-99 What is your source for stating that Ruger has re-introduced the .44 Auto Rifle. I've been unable to find any.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

I also looked, I see they are bringing the 77-44 bolt gun back, but could not find any info on the auto loader.

Henry makes a lever .44

I also handled a .44 lever at Bass pro shop last week, It was priced at $4oo, I do not recall the make, (some company I never seen before}.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

a budine My son bought one two years ago new . Ruger has had them out for two or three years . They look just like the Originals and shoot very well . Really no better then a good Super Blackhawk .

The 77/44 has been out for two years or more

I have had two or three of the Original .

16. halfmile

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I killed one at 90 yards with an offhand shot through peep sights in a blizzard with a 44 carbine.

I wish I had never sold it. If they start making them again it will sell good for a while. I would buy one.

HM

17. anglia1

anglia1 Member

0   0   0

I have a long stock ruger 44 mag carbine, make me an offer. They work great for bear out of a tree stand or animals treed by dogs. Don
    Sorry gun is gone

18. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

KenX: most people don't understand the the .44 mag cartridge is much more powerful in real life than it appears to be on paper.

The Taylor Knockdown Factor is a different way of looking at bullet performance, and is as follows; bullet dia X velocity X weight divided by 7000

The .44mag from a rifle .429 x 250gr x 1800fps (from a rifle) yeilds a Taylor Knockdown Factor of 27.6 From a Carbine at 1600fps it is 24.5! From a pistol at 1200fps it is 18.3 TKD

A 30-06 150gr at 2800fps .308x150x2800/7000 = 18.5 TKD!

The .44 is effectively 33% more powerful than a 30-06, at close range. Obviously the 06's more streamlined bullet is going to loose less energy in flight over a longer distance, but the .44 is king out to 100yds. And 95% of all game animals are shot at less than 100yds

.44 mag pistols have killed every land animal on this planet and they are seldom ran above 1400fps. My lighter .44 loads in my Marlin 24" barreled rifle easily do 1800 and I can push them above 2000 fps if I want. I can get 300gr bullets up to about 1850-1900, but the slow twist barrel won't stabilize them. these are brutal on the shoulder for more than 2-3 shots from a 7.5lb rifle, and won't do anything more to an animal than the 250 gr slug. IE they go all the way thru and keep on going.

A .375 H&H mag runs a 300gr slug at 2300fps! so there is not "that much" difference bullet size wise. just running alittle faster. @ 36.9 TKD

A.44 250gr cast lead slug will go clean thru an elk and leave a 1/2-1" hole all the way thru. Seldom does a 30-06 or other 30 cal, even magnums fully penetrate, they just make a big mess inside.

I also have a Marlin 1895 Rifle in 45-70 with a 26" barrel which can be loaded from 300gr plinking loads at 1000fps to 400gr brass solids at 2000 fps or buy Garrett Sledgehammer loads with 540gr bullets at 1650fps (flying bricks!). The brass solids at 2000fps will go clean thru anything on this planet, "in any direction"!!! The cartridge is 137 years old was the first centrefire military cartridge ever made and is of more use now than it was in the lst 100 years of it's existance. We jsut have better guns now to shoot them.

In bullets bigger is better. And if you run the numbers for the 45-70 you'll see they are really impressive. But like I said to start out with the .44 mag is much more powerful than it appears to be on paper.

For more info on this subject go to www.customsixguns.com and read about how big bullets are really better than small bullets going faster. He makes REALLY powerful sixguns!!! Watch the video on the front page! Must see! Also this topic is written about in Handloader and Rifle magazine frequently. It will make you a believer when you see what they have done with these guns and 100+ year old cartridges.

In closing just for a little more cement on this subject,,,a .45 acp pistol is 3 times more powerful than a 9mm pistol. Just because of the slow School Bus versus fast VW syndrome.

Just for fun I ran the numbers on an 8lb sledge hammer at 32fps. TKD 512!!!

So maybe we should all start hunting with sledge hammers, nah they'd probably outlaw them here in CA.

Randy

19. halfmile

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

WR, right on. I watched Scotty hit one at about 50 yards, first time I ever saw a deer do a sideways somersault.

Ideal Wisconsin deer shooter.

Incidentally, no 44 auto on Ruger site.

HM

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Halfmile The Second run of the 44 auto was in 1999 and called the 99/44 Deer Field , It was discontinued in 2003 .

Ruger made five models of the 44 auto .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.