1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RugerM77 mark2 scope mounting problem???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had a problem with this rifle? I mounted a brand new leupold 4.5-14-50mm using the rings that ruger's rep's said to use.On the front the high ring and the xtra high on the back,It shot a group 14" low and 9" right,The scope won't adjust that far and Leupold's rep said that the action on the M77 was to blame.Ruger will pay to have it shipped back to them for the needed repair but I would like to hear any other complaints about this style rifle??The extractor doesn't work either! PJ

2. missed

missed Member

WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO USE TWO DIFFERENTS SIZE OF RINGS???? wITH A 50mm SCOPE i WOULD START WITH A SET OF HIGHS AND GO FROM THERE, SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. COULD MESS UP SCOPE WITH 2 DIFFERENT HEIGHTS OF RINGS.

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have two M77's and never had a problem setting the scope up I would try a different set of ring's first the one's you have might have something wrong.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

It sounds to me like you have mounted the rings backwards. The only game rifles I will own are two Ruger All Weather M77 MKII's, one in 30/06 and one in 308. I have the same scope you have, in VARI-X-III configuration. IIRC, I used the factory high ring sets.

BTW, you can order stainless Torx screws for your Ruger rings from the factory. Other than a little tuning of the trigger, this is the ONLY upgrade the Ruger needs.

I have never seen a Ruger have a problem with the massive fixed extractor. This is a major reason I prefer these rifles. They are basically foolproof in the field. The 30/06 will shoot in the high fours (.472") with the Lapua 170 gr Scenar, but the 308 is INSANE. With its 22" pencil barrel, it will shoot 1/4" groups with military brass, precision loaded with 168 gr SMK.

5. poacherjoe

Please pay attention to the fact that I have done everything just the way the folks at ruger have told me to do with the gun and scope,They are the experts in the subject at hand.On another site I got responses from shooters that had similar problems with this SPECIFIC model gun!I can't argue with the facts the way they have presented them!I talked with the rep from Leupold and the rep from Ruger.The rep from leupold said that the problem was with the action on the gun and that they had problems like this before!Ruger won't put there product down but they are more than willing to fix the problem!I also spoke with Paul Box at Sierra bullets and he said that he had heard of the same problems that we are now talking about. PJ

6. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I'm with shooting coach on this one. I've got three of these rifles, .280 Rem, .308 Win and .338 Win mag. As he said, all three required trigger tuning but other than that I wish I was capable of using the accuracy they're capable of. No problems with the scope mounting and once they're zero'ed they stay there unless you change ammo. Bill

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If the scope is mounted correctly, and I gather that it is, then it is a scope or barrel problem.
    Send it to them and let them sort it out.
    I had a similar issue with a laminated model 700 in 300winmag.
    Couldn't get it to zero, and the POI would travel nine inches in five shots when the barrel got warm.
    Remington's tech was no help at all, and wanted me to shoot it 200 rounds more and see what happens.
    Pretty expensive ammo just to be blasting to prime a barrel.
    I got my money back from the dealer, and he sent the rifle back to Remington.
    I've never had an issue with an all-weather ruger I had in 308, or an early 77 in 7mm mauser.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd do a little precision measuring to see where the problem lies first. Measure the rings from bottom of seat to base on both. Then, you can measure the depth of the cuts in the Ruger receiver. Only then will you know where the problem may be and what the proper fix is. Hap

I've never heard of using two different heights of rings to mount a scope, high and extra high? I think the pro recommended the wrong rings to you.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I agree ...I've never seen a more solid and consistant scope attachment set-up than on a Ruger 77 ...take it to a local pro shop then possibly back to ruger....You should be using a SET of Xtra high rings most probably with an extension type to get behind that 50mm bell on the scope

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I just mounted a 52MM AO scope on my M77. I also used the Ruger ring exchange program, which is one of the greatest things an American gun maker could think of in Customer Service.

At first, they sent me the "high" rings, and they didn't fit. ON the second try I got the Extra-high rings and they were perfect. Note of Caution here: I bore sighted the scope (brand new out of the box) before shooting it. The bore scope required an unusual amount of pre-firing adjustment. At the range I actually cranked the scope back to nearly the neutral starting set to zero it in. It's always something!

Get the extra-high rings and use them for both front and rear.

IME,
    Kip

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

This is a tough one to diagnose from the armchair..... I just had a wonderful experience with Ruger and a warranty issue, I suggest sending the whole kit to them and let them figure it out. Do a search uner OMGB and Ruger Gold Label shotgun to see what Ruger did for me. I got an almost new gun as a fix to a slight problem....way way beyond and above. Excellent customer service.

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

The Ruger scope mount is a system all too it's self. The front ring is shorter then the rear because of the way the reciver is designed,if you put them on wrong you would have to be blind not to notice. No matter how good Ruger's quality control is I am sure some screw ups slip by from time to time. I would try the next set of higher rings and if that dont work send it back,Ruger will fix it.

13. poacherjoe

I spoke with at least 5 different ruger rep's and I already asked all the questions about ring hieghts. The gun comes with a medium and a high ring. The tallest goes to the back. these will work for up to 42mm. For 50mm Then they say you need the xtra high in the back and the high in the front.Leupold say's the same thing as far as which ring goes where. The UPS truck will pick it up tuesday and ruger can fix the problem!! I will just have to wait 4-6 week's until I get it back to start fine tuning it or maybe they will send another gun to replace it! PJ

14. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

If you take the time to look at the owners manual, it will explain that the new 77's take two different ring heights, with a higher ring in the rear. Look at the receiver where the rings attach, and you will see the rear base area is lower than the front. Why it is off so far is another problem, but it uses two different ring heights.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

So? is this an issue just since the Hawkeye series came out? The way that Rugers casting operation is run it seems the problem would be more wide-spread due to the volume of production...I'm really leary about this "two different height rings" thing...just concerned for your safety..eyes, scopes and mounts are not an area to be unsure of...not to mention really fouling up the equipment

16. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I just looked at my Ruger 77 bought in the early 70's and it has two different ring heights, with the shorter one in the front. The integral machined bases on the Ruger receiver is lower in the rear than it is in the front. I also have a newer Hawkeye rifle and it is the same style of mounting.

17. poacherjoe

Ruger got back to me after they test fired a 5 shot group and they came up with the same results as first posted!!! They are working on this problem.
    They also stated that all 5 rounds ejected without any problems with the extractor!! This is still a problem they will have to fix. I can't see that they are using some special type of brass that has a different OD than the rounds I am using.
    They say to use FACTORY ammo only! I can understand with all the sue happy people why they would do this but when you load the correct load out of the manual it would'nt be a problem .Besides all I expect is that the rifle will function properly without being fired.PJ

18. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I used the mount provided with the gun,had to remove the rear sight but works fine

19. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Poacherjoe, the manufacturers, whether Remington, Ruger, T/C, S&W, etc., all recommend using only factory-produced ammunition. This isn't unique to Ruger. They don't know if someone loaded up Unique or PB in a .270 case, instead of IMR 4350. They are just protecting themselves in case of a lawsuit.

Best,
    Dennis

20. poacherjoe

Here's the latest:They sent me my REPAIRED gun!! Ruger said that the extractor worked but they replaced it anyways,Go Figure?.Now that problem is fixed and working correctly,I set the scope up on the gun and went to the range and it now shoots 10" to the right and 10" low at 100 yds!! They shot it at 50 yds and it shot 3.5" to the left and 4" low! Do the math and at 100 yds that = 7" left and 8" low!! I used 100 gr bullets and I do not have the info on what they used .I now have to wait until the supervisor bets back from vacation to make a decision on what will be done next. You might say that I am less that satisfied with Ruger and their quality control. I made the suggestion that they get whoever made the repair their money and send them on there merry way.So if anyone is thinking about buying a Ruger BEWARE! Regards PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.