1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Vaquero Price Check

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by amboy49, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

A friend is offering a chrome Ruger Vaquero in .45 Long Colt for sale. The gun has white grips. Don't know how much its been shot. Had the action slicked up to use in cowboy action shooting. This doesn't mean much to me since I'm not into that sport. Just liked the looks of a six shooter.

Asking price is $500. He actually has two - don't know if they are consecutivley serialed numbered. The asking price for the pair is $1,000. I don't think the a box or any other stuff comes with the gun.

Anyone have an idea on fair market value for these guns ? I've checked gunbroker and gunsinternational. Looks like you can buy a NIB same gun for $519 plus shipping.

Any Ruger or cowboy action shooters out there ?

Thanks in advance

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

He is a little high

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

High

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

0   0   0

Next you'll need a white horse."hiyo silver away"

5. amboy49

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

If I got the white horse then I would need a saddle and bridle. Then I would need a horse trailer. Then I would have to build a barn. Since my lot is small I would have to either stable the horse or buy some of the vacant ground behind my house. Vet bills, farrier bills ( horse shoes ). Feed bills, boots and spurs, hat, duster coat, holster belt, personalized dinner plate sized belt buckle. If I get the gun, the horse, the saddle and bridle . . . . . will I need to get a mask that was cut from the vest of a dead Texas Ranger ? (How's that for some trivia ? ! )

If I buy a horse trailer I don't think my half ton 4x4 Chevy will pull a horse trailer - especially with a horse in it. So I'd have to buy a new Ford 3/4 ton powerstroke diesel to pull it.

So far I'm estimating I'm up to about $100,000. This is not looking good.

Then there's the divorce that would certainly occur if I bought all this stuf. She'd get all my guns, all the cowboy stuff to include the horse trailer and new truck and half of everything else - 401k,savings, checking, etc.

Now I'm getting close to two commas. I think I may want to pass on this even if I can get it for a "bargain."

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The Vaaquero you are looking at is probably Stainless Steel. These are good shooting and sturdy single action guns and are very popular with the SASS crowd. The 'action job' on this gun could mean anything from a set of reduced power springs to a full blown refit and hone. Generally these jobs take value away from a gun unless it was done by a well known smith.

$500 is a top end price but not out of the ball park. If you really want the gun make him an offer - keep in mind that if it is a FTF deal you won't be paying tax or brady fees so that might help justify the higher price.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

And, are they the 'new vaq' or the old model vaq

8. amboy49

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The seller gave me some more detail. This is the older model which he claims is stronger and will withstand higher power loads. Don't think that matters to me since I won't be hunting buffalo with it. The gun has had a modification for "free spin" which the seller claims is a benefit in loading/unloading and cocking the gun when fast firing using your thumb to cock it.

I guess the gun is blued case hardened with the white grips. The seller said the boxes come with the guns.

Maybe I can offer him a little less and see what happens.

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

$500 is a little high for what may be a well used gun. I recently bought a new model dual-cylinder (45LC/45 auto) for $450 and thought that was at the upper limits of what it's worth, even with the extra cylinder. I'd shop around.

BTW, mine is a highly-polished stainless steel. I don't think they chrome plate them.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

100% with the last two posts. Those are $350 guns at best. And I would be very careful to examine the mods.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

0   0   0

High. I don't understand the "free spin mod.". My Rugars will spin for loading and unloading and I don't understand how it would help in shooting. I've had a spring job on mine witch helps with cocking.

Sounds like maybe you should walk away and keep looking if this is what you want.

Don

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

0   0   0

the "free spin" mod is so you can back up the cylinder if you go too far as you are loading it or unloading. that is, there is normally a 'pawl' that keeps the cylinder from being turned any other direction than i believe clockwise. Has no effect on the firing of it. Bill

13. wolfram

0   0   0

That is just wrong Joe - nobody puts aftermaket oversize rubber grips on a cowboy gun. This must go into the same box as the mossy 'tactical' lever gun.

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

*snicker*

Anyway, .38/40 is the way to go!!!

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Dad-burn it...I done did put em on my single six gun too and I aint shot that one neither.

17. MRMOKI

MRMOKI Member

0   0   0

Free spin feature is used in SASS to get an advantage in a stage that requires a reload of one more shot. Without that feature, the cylinder must be rotated all the way around, costing precious time. With the free spin, just back up one and reload. If you are not shooting SASS, do not pay extra. Also, the old style Vaquero is a slightly bigger grip size. If you have not handled both versions, suggest you do so before deciding. The new style is more the size and feel of a COLT SAA, although the Ruger action is probably the best for the money. There are a huge number of six shooters out there. Get familiar with the all before deciding. Otherwise, you will get punished when you want to trade up to another.
    Jim Lemmons

18. wolfram

0   0   0

It's okay Joe I did the same with a Super BlackHawk - what those grips lack in style, they make up for in function.

Now since we beat ya up on the grips I suppose we will have to give you a pass on the 44-40 nonsense but you must know that only the .44 special is worthy of praise.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I recently bought one in like new condition for $400.00

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Do those guns typically shoot to point of aim? If they don't, how do you sight them in?

I've never had a handgun without adjustable sights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger vaquero forum