1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

&&&&Ruger SP101 357 mag&&&&

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

I am looking at a Ruger SP101 hammerless 357mag 2". Opinions wanted. Thank you Jerry

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Great guns. They're a little heavy to keep in the pocket, but the extra weight is great if you are shooting full house 357 ammo. The double action trigger has more of a ramp-up feel before it breaks, but is smooth the entire way.

ss

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had the 3 inch barreled model with a hammer. It is solid and built strong. It is accurate too. It shot fine in double action, so I would imagine the hamerless version will also. The problem with the 3 inch barrel is there are not a lot of good concealed carry holsters to fit the 3 inch. I wish I would have bought the two inch. Might be something to keep in mind when you order yours.

4. Aquaflow

Aquaflow TS Member

I own one and you won't find a stronger more dependable gun. They are heavy and not a good choice for conceal carry. That being said they do make a good home defense weapon and with the weight are a good choice for a lot of women since the weight helps with recoil. I keep mine in a small safe beside the bed where I or my wife can get to it easy. It is always unlocked at night or when my wife is home alone.

Aquaflow

5. JRW

JRW Member

Thank you for the replies. Jerry in MI.

6. Dick98813

Dick98813 TS Member

I think it is a great and very well built and accurate at 60 yards. I use it as concealed carry with CTC laser grips and an Uncle Mikes Sidekick Size O holster only problem is have to wear a bit looser top. Dick

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Great gun. I bought one for my wife and she loves it.

My GP-100 was a little too big for her and the SP is great for us both.

Here are a couple things to make it better; Hogue grips, lighten the trigger a little, and a Gemini Customs fiber optic sight.

8. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I have that one,love it, makes PP over the j frame-altho not as "classy".
    Makes a nice thump in the palm with magnums,but it holds only 5,and you wont quit until you blow off a box of 50.The rubber grips are the schnit.
    No hammer/DA only- not an issue,after the wolff kit is inserted you can actually feel the "gully" in the triggerpull right before it breaks and hold it there until you want to fire your shot.Trigger group drops out like a perazzi.
    Will outlast the smith snub==no sideplate.38 special in this is fun fun.

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I keep lusting after one of these with 2 inch barrel and exposed hammer but am afraid the recoil will be a problems as I have arthritis in the thumb joint in my shooting hand. It's a great looking snub nose. Maybe with Hogue grips and .38 special loads I'd be able to do okay with it.

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I have a 3" 101 in .357 dehorned by Ruger. I have in the groin carry and small of the back. Has hammer, cut it off a bit rounded edges, have room to pull back, softened springs have small smooth fake ivory grips someone sold.
    With any 38 load into 3" circle at 15 yds; I keep a Fed 125 then 4 Win 110 all magnum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.