1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Single Shot vs Bolt Action

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I am looking at getting a rifle for target, plinking, and small game hunting in 223 Remington...at this time a Ruger singleshot or bolt action would be my choice....any opinions or experience? Thanks WC

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger long range rifle in .223 that shoots 5 shot groups (with a tailored hand load) under .5 inches.

That said, I would look for a Savage bolt gun in .223 as I believe that Savage gives you the most accuracy for the money.

The Ruger #1 Single Shot is a fine rifle but it is more expensive than either a Savage or Ruger bolt gun.

I used to hunt with a friend who had a Ruger #1 in .270 Winchester. He said that it was accurate but switched to a 700 Remington in 7 mm Remington magnum because he wanted a quick second shot for deer. Where we hunted had a lot of places from which it was difficult to recover a deer and he wanted to drop a deer before it ran to a deep bottom.

Go with the Savage bolt gun.

Ed Ward

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Ruger #1 is a classy rifle that is a pleasure to take to the field. I have a #1V in .22-250 and think the world of it. Accuracy in my gun is sub MOA but not quite what I get out of my M 700 VS Remingtons. I have heard a few horror stories about #1s that wouldn't shoot well but that hasn't been my experience.
    The Browning model 78 is another good falling block single shot that you might want to consider. Either of these rifles will be something you would enjoy shooting and hunting with.

As to the question of bolt action repeater Vs single shot falling block, that is a matter of personal preference really but the bolt action will be more practical and they are what most varmint hunters use.

4. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I like the T/c encore, it is really accurate, easy to use and also able to change calibers

5. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Thanks for the ideas...The gun that has the most appeal to me is the Ruger #1 or #3....they just seem very classic. WC

6. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I have the Ruger MK77SS in .243. It is a great gun. Not picky about what type of ammo I feed and have never had any trouble with it. I put a Timney trigger in it just for grins and giggles and made a great gun even better. I still have a dream of getting the Ruger No.1 in .338 Win Mag, but I don't know why. For the dollars, you can't go wrong with the bolt

BR

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Savage Bolt Action All the Way!!! But get the one with the laminated, not the black plastic stock..for bedding rigidity.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I had a beautiful No 1B in .223. The best I could manage was 1 inch groups at 100 yds. There is a trick to taking pressure off the forearm as I recall but even with that I never could never shoot it very well. On the other hand, I had a Ruger 77 varmit in .223 that would shoot sub .5 inch groups. Maybe if I had tried working with different loads for the No 1 I might have been able to do better. A friend had one and had about the same results. I think you will find that bolt guns are the more accurate although there is no denying the attraction of the No 1.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have two #1-B models, a Bicentennial in 6mm Remington I bought back in 1976, and .280 Remington I bought in the 90s. I have Model 77s in 7x57 (one from the first run in the early 70s), a 77V in .220 Swift, an Ultralight in .257 Roberts, and a .25-06. My youngest son has one in .270 Winchester. Of those, the 7x57 and .257 have never shot well, as was also the case with another .257 that I traded for the Swift, while the Swift and .270 are very accurate. I have not shot the .25-06 enough to say for sure how it is.

Both #1s have always been very accurate, with three-shot groups about 1.5" at 300 yards if I do my part. I have pretty much done all my big game hunting with them since the early 80s, and mostly with the .280 since I bought it. My biggest buck was shot with the 6mm in '91, going about 250 field dressed. He was below me and facing away at about 225 yards, and was killed with one shot, entering at the back of the left ribs and exiting at the front of the right shoulder, 100 gr Nosler Partition. I killed a fair number of deer and antelope with that same gun and load with one shot. I've also killed a fair number of deer, antelope, and elk with the .280 and either 140 gr or 160 gr partitions, mostly with one shot. The last one I remember that took two was a buck in timber about eight years ago. I hit him a little high and broke his back, and used a second shot to finish him off.

In my experience a "quick second shot" isn't a problem with the #1. Years ago Montana had antlerless B tags in the east for quite a low price. One year I went nonresidents could buy two, and the next year it was five. At least twice I shot two does from the same bunch with the 6mm. I use an elastic cartridge holder on my stock, and it is about as quick to load a second shot from there as it is to work a bolt. However I have very seldom needed a second shot.

One real advantage a #1 has over the bolt gun is overall length. Both of mine have 26" barrels, and their overall length is almost exactly the same as my Model 77 in 7x57 or .270 with 22" barrels. Why is that an advantage? Because the extra inches translate to more velocity and flatter trajectory. I sight both of mine in 3" high at 100 yards. With the 6mm and 100 gr partitions I'm about 1" low at 300 yards, while the .280 with 140 gr is right on at 300.

Finally, the #1 looks classy.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

About 20yrs ago I had to have a #1 in 25/06. I found a used one that had hardley been fired. I had a nice Weaver 3x-9x put on it and with some assorted factory shells I went to the range.

This gun wouldn't group inside of 2 1/2" reguardless of ammo. A little later I got to know a fella that knew how to make a #1 shoot. He spent a day or two on it getting all the gremlins out of it. He calls me and wants me to come over and see how it shot.

The best he could muster was 1 3/4" at 100 with his reloads that never failed sub MOA.

Long story short, traded that one off for a Savage (way before the accutrigger) .243 bolt gun. Sub MOA 3/4" at 100yrds with factory ammo and the same Weaver scope.

ss

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Put my vote for the Savage also..my 243 is a sub half inch gun from the box and with the Burris scope gives new meaning to reaching out and touching something

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well Rugers have a soft spot in my heart and I do have many and have had many.
    For 223 I still have the Mini 14 and a 77RBZ BUT I have had the 77VT in 223 and well I never could complain it was truely a great shooter, traded it for the same gun in 22-250 and no complaints there either.

The 77RBZ in 223 I have has had trigger work done for me( I lost my finger tip in a winch) to go on a nice soft touch and I carry it for everything from chucks, yotes, to white tails. It holds nice groups with factory ammo but I havent reloaded for it yet.
    I have the #1 in 338 Win mag and well I have shot every thing with it from chucks to White tails too and it is a pleasure to shoot for a big gun, but for 223 I feel your best off with a Bolt gun, if you like the #1 go for something a bit bigger as they dont feel like a a-- kicker they are pleasant to shoot.

Good Luck with which ever you choose.

Jerry

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have owned and shot several single shots such as the Rem Hepburn, Rem rolling block, Win high and low walls, bolt action Ruger #1, Pre-64 Model 70 Win, Rem 722 and 700, Rem 760 auto, and the list goes on.

I have had a great amount of enjoyment shooting the old single shots from 22 hornet up to the 45-70. Since you didn't mention accuracy in your post, then get a single shot and have fun. If accuracy is a serious part of the equation, then get a good bolt action Remington, Ruger, or Sako. In my experiecne you should glass bed the action with Brownell's acraglass, and since it is a 22 cal. you are talking about, float the barrel from the front recoil lug forward enough so a sheet of typing paper will slide easily between the barrel and the forearm. I have found that almost always without exception, the most accurate load will be one somewhere between the starting load and the maximun listed in loading manuals.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The weak points in the Ruger #1 are well known, and fortunately there are cures.

The hammer strike is one of the weakest of any production rifle, mainly due to the angle on the firing pin in the breechblock. There are spring kits that address this, and increase the lock time, which is always slower for a hammer than a striker.

The forend is sensitive to pressure. Some #1's like pressure, some don't, and some are inbetween. The cure is an adjustable tensioner, and some range testing to hit the "sweet spot".

I've always wanted a #1 Tropical in 375 H&H, but never got around to it. I do hunt with single shot rifles, but mine are original Winchester and Browning reproduction 1885's. My Browning 1885 High Wall in .223 has killed more critters than all my other firearms combined.

The neat thing about single shots is that they're different. I like guns that aren't "mainstream". As for the Fudds who claim real hunters use single shots and anything else is unsporting, they're full of themselves. I think they turn more people off to single shots than they convince to try them with their snotty arrogant attitude.

As for bolt actions, I only have a couple. This is because I'm clumsy with a bolt action. I can operate a lever action faster, and if I have an extra cartridge in my hand, I can operate my 1885's almost as fast as I can a bolt action.

15. Mapper

Mapper Member

If you want a single shot, don't be put off by negatives. As BrianinOregon says, there is a fix and most good gun smiths know it. And there is always the high wall. Most of them could use a little trigger work, but so could some bolt guns.

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Number ones..classy, most often need some tuning, handle anything made.

Number 77s..classic, most shoot out of the box, trigger only so-so, about any caliber you want.

Savages....great triggers, shoot out of the box, accurate beyond their cost

I have had two "ones", have two "77s" and a couple Savages...each has their fine points.

NEF/HandR...I laugh at the comment about good trigger..this is pot luck..either you get an O.K. one or it is horrible. I have or have had a half dozen and the three I now have (partner, ultra slug, shikari) all suck with minimum of ten pound triggers.

Pay your money, make your choice. Savage and 77 will probably shoot the best, the #1 will be just as good, you just might have to work harder to make it do so.

17. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

I had a Ruger #1 in 25-06, and it just would not group no matter what ammo was used. I live in an area that has no gunsmiths for 100s of miles. I traded it to my cousin that doesn't mind the group. My 223 plinking gun is a Savage 24F, 223 over 20ga. Has a 3x9 Redfield, and makes a great call gun for dogs. Still a simple single shot, and a blast to shoot. Thanks David

18. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you intend to shoot the r #1 make sure it is the lighter ammo or your accuracy will be effected. the ruger has a 12 twist barrel and wont handel the heavier ammo. Had a #1 with a bull brl and accuracy was sub 1/2 moa with the right load (took lots of exerimenting with handloads) a lot of the ar types are more accurate and especially the target versions with the faster twist.
    I Really like the #1 but you can get good performance out of the savage for about 1/2 the price.

Bob

19. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I am in the same boat. I just bought 800 rounds of Hornady 55 grain V-max in .223 Remington and just cannot see fit to run it through my AR-15. I am in PA so the AR is limited to the range only. The local shop has one of those Savages with a heavy barrell and accutrigger. I too was looking at a Ruger No. 1V. So I checked on a Ruger, lots of money, the Savage is interesting and for $595 with a scope and bipod, not too bad; the boys at the shop are wanting me to check out a Thompson Center Contender or Encore. The Encore is intriguing as I can put an inline Muzzleloader barrel on it. So, unless I can find a really good deal on a No 1V (I really do just want one), I am leaning for the TC Encore. Lots of versatility and I can envision three barrels, .223, .50cal muzzle loader and something big! I love them big bores.

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have always been told the Rugers require a lot of tinkering to get them to shoot like a bolt gun. I agree that the Savage is the best buy and the most accurate. I had the 110V in .223 and it was the best shooting center fire rifle I have ever owned. Second on the list was a 110FP in .308. I got stupid and traded them off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bolt vs single shot

browning78verses rugernumber1

ruger no 1 vs bolt action

ruger number 1 vs bolt action

single shot vs bolt action