1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Service

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FNG, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I inherited an older Ruger Red Label when my Dad passed away a few years ago. It had been engraved by a friend of his; also long deceased. Dad shot skeet and hunted with the gun so it had been shot quite a bit, but it was a very special gun to me and I wanted to use it. I had Briley install screw-in chokes and I hunted with it the past few years. It was getting very "loose" and the stock was beat up and cracking. After calling and discussing repairs with the Ruger shotgun folks in NH. I sent it in for repairs and a new stock. I just got it back yesterday and was very impressed with the work. They made the mechanical repairs I requested and for an "off-the-shelf" piece of wood, the stock and forearm are very attractive; nice figure and finish. All this in the time promised and at a very reasonable price. Good experience with Ruger.

2. 682b

682b Member

If you send in a 3 screw(old model) they will install a new hammer block in it. When they did this it bothered me but many years later I think I am happy they did. They sent the original parts back. JIM

3. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

If Ruger made a trap gun I would probably buy it.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

they did....and only a few....you'd think that with the market for high grade trap guns and Ruger's manufacturing capabilities, they could bring back thier unsingle at a very competitive price...I'd probably buy one too.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

This has to a first post of this kind! A Red Label that has actually been shot enough to get loose. My hat's off to you and your father for being able to withstand that much recoil and not have an uncontrollable flinch.

And yes, I used to own one!

ec90t

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rick,

Have you ever shot 1 1/4 oz of 6's at 1350 fps in a red label? I have and it still makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I have shot a lot of 99's and none of them has kicked like that. A Red Label makes a 101 feel like a pussy cat!

ec90t

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I own a Red Label and a BT-99. Using the same load they both have the same felt recoil for me. Recoil is a matter of physics, not brand name.

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I just got My Red Label back from New Hampshire also. Had been having trouble with the timing and the ejectors for a long time but finally decided to send it in. Its my sporting clays gun and I just didn't want to do without it for very long. It came back perfect! New barrels, ejectors working perfectly and they disconnected that darn auto safety and didn't charge me a cent. I love Ruger!

Steve

9. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Now if could only get that kind of service from Browning. Dan

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rick,

I'm a game shooter. I have very little use for registered trap targets unless it is doubles, then only if shot with a slide gun.

The comparison was between a 30" sporting Red Label (new style chokes) and a host of different 99's that I've either owned or shot.

ec90t

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

1 1/4 oz at 1350 fps through anything is gonna hurt!

Steve

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Sent my GL in last week. (If you recall, I had a choke tube fail) Lets see what happens. They should have the gun by Friday.

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Hey OMGB, I would like to hear of your experience with their service dept. It will take some time however, six weeks seems to be the norm but you will not be unhappy with the final result!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.