1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Red Label

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stims, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stims

stims TS Member

Looking for opinions....I have an opportunity to by a NIB Ruger Red Label 30" engraved Sporting over/under at a good price never fired 5 chokes etc. What can you guy's tell me about this gun good or bad.

Thanks

2. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

The Red Label is a good hunting gun, but may not hold up to heavy target shooting. You can probably find a Citori, a better gun, for about the same price.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Good hunting gun for sure. Recoil is a little too overwhelming for serious target shooting. These guns rival 101's in the amount of recoil present.

ec90t

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Depends on price -- these are good guns -- but they are not built to hold up under a lot of target use -- I have a 20 ga. 28" tubes -- good gun -- doesn't get a lot use -- mainly because it has competion from other guns in the vault -- it was purchased as a hunting gun and I didn't buy it for shooting targets

5. stims

stims TS Member

C'mon sarge don't hold back tell me how you really feel! Same guy has a 391 Urika sporting .12ga new for $1195.00 same price as Ruger. So you are all agreement that the Ruger won't hold up to any amount of target shooting.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

stims,

For that kind of money you could get a nice 325/425 Browning O/U.

ec90t

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Lots of Remoington 3200's with upgrades for about $1200 available.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a sporting clays red label, that I used for doubles. The sporting clays model has special lightened barrels and the whole gun is pretty light. It was kind of punishing for a 100 bird day. The stock was great for hunting quail, but really didn't fit me too well for the trap line. You would be better served with a gun designed more for trap. Good Luck

9. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

The Red Label is far from an ideal trap gun, although that is what my son uses quite effectively.

Although not re-buildable like many other brands, they have very good longevity. The first one I shot had 50,000 rounds through it by a friend that shot clays and hunted with it. There had been no breakdowns to that date and it was still locked up quite well.

My 26" is still the most natural swinging gun I have ever handled for hunting.

10. no powder

no powder Member

A friend of mine has a ruger red label and shoots trap with me occassionaly. Usually his first round he really smashes targets, second round he is flinching so bad from recoil he might get 50%.

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

I have one of the early Red Labels (blued receiver) bored skeet/skeet, and that's mostly how it has been used. It now has about 75,000 rounds through it. Zero problems, but if you need it, there's Ruger's excellent reputation for service. Can't say the same (reliability or service) for some of the Citoris that have passed through my hands. It may be true that Rugers are not rebuildable as far as the trunions go, but they can certainly be rebolted. Maybe I'm a tough guy, but I've never been aware that recoil was a problem.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The TRIGGER, the TRIGGER, it sucked on the ones I shot!!

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Ok Stims, notice that the guys that don't own one are the first to say they suck and the guys who do have one love them! Personally, I really like mine and my 17 yr old daughter and I just shot some clays Sunday afternoon. She thinks my Red Label kicks way less than my Model 12.

Note, 17 year old girl likes to shoot 12 ga Ruger. Old farts think they kick too much

Steve

14. stims

stims TS Member

I bought the Ruger, thanks to all that had input on this thread.

15. jhoward

jhoward Member

I don't have a Red Label, but I've been shooting one the single barrels and I haven't noticed that the recoil is any worse than any my 870.

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Tell us of the trigger!?!?!

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

For those naysayers out there, I have owned a Red Label. It was my first gun, as far as target shooting goes. It was a 30" sporting model. The gun kicked like crazy, but I delt with it not knowing any better at the time. My cheek would be bruised and shoulder sore at the end of the day. I put up with this until it started oozing a redish colored liquid from where the monoblock and the barrels were swedged together. This only happend when the barrels got warm. I unloaded that gun and bought a SKB combo of some sort.

Would I own another Red Label, yes, but only in a subguage.

ec90t

18. jhoward

jhoward Member

I'm going to guess you were asking about the SBT trigger. It is adustable by simply turning a screw from about 2.5 pounds up to 7 pounds. I don't notice the trigger very much when shooting a shotgun, I think mine is set at about 4 pounds.

19. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I owned a Red Label Sporting, 30" barrels. I didn't have a good experience with it. It is very light and thus recoil was uncomfortable. After only 200 rounds the trigger mechanism went bad, would fire the top barrel with the selector set on the bottom barrel. I sent it to Ruger and they fixed it. I sold it when I got it back. I recall others on this site saying they had experienced the same problem. I had mine 10 years ago so they probably fixed the problem by now. I have a friend who shoots a 28" field model and has never had a proble with it.

Joe

20. letts

letts TS Member

I have a Ruger that I use for sporting clays. No problems, maybe it kicks but so does my BT 99 which I use for trap. I think it is a very good gun.

Letts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
red ladel for trap shooting
ruger red label for trap
ruger red label sporting clays for sale

ruger red label sporting clays model

ruger red label sporting clays model 20 gauge for sale
ruger red label trap gun
ruger red trap gun
ruger redlabel sporting