1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Red Label your opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrrem3200, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I'm thinking about buying a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge with 30" barrels for a sporting clays gun. I thought I would pole the most knowledgeable people on the internet; you guys. I should probable tell you my budget is not Kolar but I try to buy American whenever I can. Thanks for your input.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

10 boxes a month- you'll probably be OK. 10 boxes a week- look elsewhere. They are built as hunting guns, and are up to par for that task, but will not stand up to heavy clay target use.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

triggers suck too, at least the one I shot did....

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Both barrels tend to shoot in different time zones as well. On the plus side, I never have heard of one blowing up.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I've two of them. They are good guns, especially for the price and...unlike Browning (I have one of those too) and Beretta (yes, I have one of those too) if service is needed, Ruger gets it done quickly and with extra care...they always seem to go the extra mile. I have no idea whether or not they will hold up to competition use. Since you almost never see one in competition, I'd have to suspect there is a reason for that. That being said, I have one that I have put more than 3K rounds through without a hickup. Some do not like the fit. Some don't like the auto safety. Some don't like the name. That's my $.02

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

From time to time I take my Ruger Red Label 30-inch Sporting Clays 20 gauge dove hunting and warm-up sporting clays/skeet before the hunt(s). Have never had a mechanical problem with the gun and it will kill a limit if I do my part. Did replace the factory recoil pad to add length to the stock and to better handle recoil.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had a Red Label... good field gun.

What about a vintage Superposed... plenty of them out there for similar money...

Jay

8. letts

letts TS Member

I have used mine for sporting clays often with no problems, maybe not alot but often, seems to be a very good gun and made in the USA.

Letts

9. letts

letts TS Member

I have used mine for sporting clays often with no problems, maybe not alot but often, seems to be a very good gun and made in the USA.

Letts

10. maka

maka Member

Friend has one bought new and shot trap, skeet, and sporting close to 20yrs. No problems in all that time. I owned one for about a year with no mechanical problems. Shot both trap and skeet. For me at least it kicked like a mule. Sold it. Good Luck.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Red Label was Bill Ruger's ideal of a graceful shotgun based on a modified English Purdey locking principle. I think you should try one to see if it fits you well. Some people don't like the stock dimensions.

I think the Red Label is a very good gun for the money. I particularly like it's shallow receiver, although it's built very strong but kept it's well proportioned clean lines. Unlike some of those over priced American design with way too big (long) receivers and exposed screws.

I took one apart, and saw how they over built it, doubt anything will break easily, as a matter of fact, I think Ruger is the only manufactory that states "Dry firing is ok".

You can see I grind off the auto safety block.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Bought one (ordered it to get the 30" bbls) when they 1st. came out with the 30" in 20 ga. I'm not a high volume shooter but do shoot a few rounds of skeet & sporting clays so have put several thousand shells through it with "0" troubles. Like it a lot, don't care for the auto safety (they can be fixed) but you will get used to that, as per double-auto above you will want to change the solid rubber butt-plate to a real recoil pad as they are light & do let you know when you pull the trigger. Yes I would buy 1 again, they are a well built gun for the money. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Ross Puls

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

They are a good O/U for the budget shotgunner. If you have not bought one yet do look at the Winchester Select Energy, and the newer SKB's as well. Both are fine shotguns that do not seem to hold there value well are can be bought used at a good price. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

14. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

move on citizen..

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought one in the 80's and shot skeet with it. It was in my opinion the worst
    gun I ever owned. I felt like it was wearing out fast and was not made well as other Rugers are. I sold it and have never entertained owning another. I do have other Rugers and they are fine

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

I have two of the early blued reeiver models. One was a recent purchase for hunting, but the one you are interested in is the older purchase, a skeet-configured model. It has something on the order of 75,000 rounds through it with no problems.

As indicated earlier, they are graceful guns. The finish is somewhat lacking (too powerful a buffing wheel?) and the fit is nothing to brag about. They occasionally slip some impressive wood on one, and even the plainest stocks use a good grade of select walnut. The trigger, reliable as hell, has a healthy amount of slack and creep, and is hard to take if the last gun you handled was a Perazzi. Next to a Remington 3200, they have the best safety/barrel selector going. But everything goes together and works as a unit, and at the price is a shooting bargain. The last time I looked, a patient buyer could pick up a v clean used one for about $800-900.

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They make a Winnie 101 seem like a soft shooter. There is a very good reason you don't see any on the trap line and very few at sporting and skeet. Ok as a field gun I guess but there are so many good choices.

18. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I have a 28 gauge 28" model...have had 0 trouble...maybe 2 cases a year through it. Great bang for the buck, and a nice scaled receiver.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a very early model (blue) and it has been a decent field gun with the exception of the ejection not being very consistent. I have fired a lot of rounds through this gun by field gun standards but nothing like what a serious target shooter would do. FWIW, the gun I have shoots a bit low with both tubes and I have heard that many of these guns do have POI problems.

I don't know that the Red Label is a poor choice for you but I can think of better choices in that price range.

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I've owned both a 20 and 12. The stock broke on the 20 after a fall by wy wife, replaced it and sold it as I never really cared for the gun. This was back in 81 I believe.

Later around 1987 I won a 12 guage at a sporting clay shoot. Went out to check point of impact and the recoil was severe, really hit my cheek bad. POI was good though. As the gun was free I decided to do some modifications. First I took the gun to a good friend of mine in SoCal, Paul Purdam. Paul cut the stock length ways and glued on another comb that was parallel to the rib at the height I wanted. Presto, no more recoil to the face. And with a new pad the should recoil was as it should be.

Next I sent the barrels to Briley and had them match the barrels to the same internal bore sizes. Then install their thin wall screw in chokes. The triggers were not the best but I could use them ok. Auto safety was removed.

This gun now became a damm good shooter. It would just crush sporting targets. A friend wanted to try it, so I let him. He fell in love with the gun and wanted to buy it on the spot. I sold it to him for the money I had in it, and that my story of how to fix the problems with the Ruger Red Label.

I am looking at the Ruger Red Label in 28 guage, with a new stock and some trigger work, who knows ???

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to clean a ruger red label

ruger red label 20 gauge sporting clays

ruger red label butt pads
ruger red label forum
ruger red label problems
ruger red lables had red butt pads what years
shoukd i buy a ruger red label
should i buy a ruger red label