1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Red label Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Red Truck 99, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Truck 99

Red Truck 99 TS Member

Have been shooting skeet for many years with an old trusty Rem 870. A couple of years ago I thought I would buy a little nicer shotgun. It was a Ruger Red label in 12 ga. The problem is I can't seem to hit worth a damn with it. Am not a pro but enjoy the sport a great deal. I usually get frustrated and break out old trusty and do much better. Anybody got any pointers as to what might be the problem.

2. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

Field mod. or Trap mod.? Always comes back to proper fit. My youngest son wants to jump from an 870, 11-87 field gun then to an 11-87 Trap and his scores are inconsistent. Stay true to gun of choice. Sheet shoot with your skeet gun, trap shoot with your trap gun hunt dicks with field mod. When I go bowling, I use a bowling ball. When I play catch with my kids, I use a baseball and glove.

I'm not questioning your intelligence, but laying down dome simple laws for those who are beginners reading your post. Later in the years changing out guns and knowing how to make the adjustments required is one thing, but when trying to establish a foundation keep it simple and the same. Never too many changes in short time frame.

I suggest, if your going to change up guns, stay with it through thick in thin. Just make sure it fits.

Good luck,

3. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

Field mod. or Trap mod.? Always comes back to proper fit. My youngest son wants to jump from an 870, 11-87 field gun then to an 11-87 Trap and his scores are inconsistent. Stay true to gun of choice. Sheet shoot with your skeet gun, trap shoot with your trap gun hunt dicks with field mod. When I go bowling, I use a bowling ball. When I play catch with my kids, I use a baseball and glove.

I'm not questioning your intelligence, but laying down dome simple laws for those who are beginners reading your post. Later in the years changing out guns and knowing how to make the adjustments required is one thing, but when trying to establish a foundation keep it simple and the same. Never too many changes in short time frame.

I suggest, if your going to change up guns, stay with it through thick in thin. Just make sure it fits.

Good luck,

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You need to shoot both guns on the pattern board to find their POI's. They most likely are nowhere near the same. You probably went from a flat shooter to an even flatter shooting gun.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You aren't alone.

There seems to be a lot of variablility in where these Red labels shoot. Generally they shoot low but sometimes it is off to one side of another. As advised above, shoot some paper and get a better idea about this, you may even find that the two barrels don't hit the same place. Report back and we may be able help you correct some of this.

As you are quickly finding out, the Red Label isn't necessarily an upgrade on your old 870.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a Red Label Sporting clays model. I patterned it, and it had ok looking patterns, but about 60% was below the beads. In other words, if the barrel was not blocking the target, I would miss. The centering was good. I ended up adding a thick pad to the comb and ignored the middle bead before I could break many targets. Like said above, the stock fit is everything. And to adjust the stock, you need to know were the gun is shooting. Good Luck

7. Red Truck 99

Red Truck 99 TS Member

I read about this pattern board stuff before but am almost embarrassed to admitt that I walked off 40 yards and thought I was going to have to call a cab to get back to the paper. Do you really do this at that distance. If that is the case I will surely try it. I appreciate yalls input. One more thing that might be embarrassing. How do you check this fit thingy? For what it is worth the Red Label feels great when I shoulder it.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Red Truck--To check your POI, you shoot from a rest from 13 yards. Shooting from 40 yards is more for checking your pattern with various loads and chokes. All you really need right now is to determine your POI. Remember to use a rest just as you would a rifle. That will show you if your POI is high, low or dead flat.

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Most all patterning for the 16 for chokes and loads is done at 33 yards. That is about the distance most people shoot 16 yard targets

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Red Truck POI stands for Point Of Impact as this is for Skeet the POI could be 13yds or 21 it won't make much difference.

The pattern stuff you were reading about you can forget 40yds. There isn't a target on the Skeet range that is over 21yds from the shooters. Also disregard 33yds to far for Skeet.

The center of your pattern should be on your aim point.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
comon problems with a ruger red lable
oldger red label ruger
problem ruger red label barrel will not open

problems with ruger red label

red label poi spec
red label wont open sometimes

ruger red label problems

ruger red label problemsforum