1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Red Label Barrel Separation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

My dad has a 12 gauge Ruger Red Label that is starting to separate at the rib between the barrels. This has caused the barrels to shot to different points of impact. Is this something that would be covered under Ruger's warranty? He has never dropped it and has always shot factory ammo.

2. fishkiller

fishkiller Member

I sent a 20 guage in last summer thru a friend that has an ffl. Cost me shipping both ways. It came back in a new box,barrels resoldered and checked for point of impact,bottom hits a little higher than top.replaced cracked forearm, and some internal parts.Made it like new.all it cost me was the shipping.All i asked for them to do was the barrel job,they did the other stuff on their own.I am therefore impressed with service.
    Mike Lane

3. Orrin

Orrin Member

A lot of the Red label models have removable between the barrel filler strips.
    Maybe the screws have loosened?

See this web address (page 36) for Red Label manual.

4. Orrin

Orrin Member

Ooops...

Web address I promised...

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/redLabel.pdf

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Here ya go.

ss

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I bought a Red Label. I think it was one of the first. It separated also, I sent it back to Ruger and they sent me a new set of barrels. I hated that gun after that as I started looking at it closer and the quality just was not Ruger. I sent it down the road

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Ruger's service is first rate, if and when you ever need it. Their guns are very durable and they want you to feel you have a long-term partner. Ship it back with a polite letter and I think you'll be pleased with what they do for you.

8. Meridian Jim

Meridian Jim TS Member

I sent my Ruger Red Label back to Ruger to have a loose forearm piece repaired and to have the automatic safety disabled. They not only made those repairs, but also fixed an ejector that was not functioning properly. There was a small charge for disabling the automatic safety, but it was reasonable.

I have also had to send my Mini 14 in for service twice, once for a cracked part in the trigger assembly, and a second time for jamming problems. There was no charge for either of those repairs and the work performed every time that I have had to send a gun in to Ruger for service has been excellent.

Jim

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

EE, How much actual experience is your opinion based upon? I have never owned a Ruger shotgun, but have currently 4 Ruger 77 in both old and new models,
    3 single action revolvers, 2 semi-auto pistols, 3 ruger No.1s and 2 Ruger no.3s.
    I am one lucky son-of-a-gun because I am very happy with all of them and none of them have ever needed warranty work. And I use my guns, but take care of them and don't believe everything I see on the net. People have been bad-mouthing them as long as they have been in existence. We all know their rifles aren't very accurate; that is what the net says. I don't have any problems, but have never blamed my shortcomings on the gun I am using.

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

Accuracy? The only Ruger rifle I have is a 77 in 22-250. I bedded the action and floated the barrel, and it prints twenty shot groups under a minute at 300 yards. Yeah, I was a little surprised. I'm leaving it alone.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

wm rike,

Wow! I know a few high dollar customs that won't do that. That one is a keeper for sure.

ss

12. miketrap

miketrap TS Member

I sent my 12ga Red Label back to have the auto safety converted to manual. It came back with the receiver badly scratched. I sent it back to have this corrected, and I paid the shipping. They corrected the problem, but not without commenting that I should have fixed it myself, with a Scotch-Brite pad.
    More recently, I sent a letter to their technical team (you cannot email Ruger) to ask about choke tubes for the early Red Labels. I got a call back from an administrative person, who admitted not knowing anything on the subject, but relaying that the technical team said that Ruger has no chokes for these guns. Availability was not my question. I asked if I could speak to a member of the technical team and was told, “No”.

13. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have a 12 gauge red label from the early 90's. vent rib ,front and rear bead.
    I use the the gun for skeet when I took up the sport, I have had nothing but good shooting with the gun, I need to send it out for some work, the bottom barrel doen't always fire, I think the gun needs new fireing pins, safty set to manual and a good cleaning.

I have shot many rounds with the gun, and recoil isn't bad at all, like some have said.

I would however, never would buy one new, you can buy a lower end browning for the same price andhave better resale.

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Danny, everything is covered by Ruger's warranty. I've sent mine in once for a timing issue. I had asked if they could disable the auto safety while they had it. That was done, no charge. Ejector problems and timing restored. New barrels for a problem I didn't even know I had. I works better now than it ever did! I love my Red Label and Ruger's service!!!

Steve

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a #1 in .223.......with 52gr. bullets @ 100 yards you can almost shoot through the same hole with 3 rounds.

the only problem using it for p-dogs is the single shot, my custom ar with a 30 rd. clip is the way to go.

tony

16. anglia1

anglia1 Member

I had a 12 ga. satin stainles o/u for duck hunting.The barrels and reciever soder let go and the barrels slid out 1/8th .The fireing pins wouldn't hit the primers.I sent the gun back to ruger.They gave me the choice of any shotgun they made in that price range, or the perchass price with sales tax. and covered the cost for shipping them the gun. That's not bad, Don

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

SS

Don't forget that "under a minute" at 300 yards is 3 inches. Most custom rifles will do that.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
looseforarmonrugerredlabelshotgun

ruger red label barrel filler strip

ruger red label durability

ruger red label ejector problems
ruger red label ejector removal
ruger red label forum
ruger red label red label seperated barrel
ruger red label rib post problems