1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? Ruger Red Label Auto Safety Disconnect ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

How difficult is it to disconnect the Ruger Red Label Automatic Safety? I know the factory will do it for you if you ship the gun in and most gunsmiths do it for a small fee. Anyone have instructions for doing this disconnect? If the answer is "don't even try it" that is helpful, too. Thanks, Ed

2. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Ruger will do the work if you return the gun to them. The last time I checked a couple of years ago the cost was $40 plus shipping. The procedure isn't all that difficult to do yourself if at all mechanically inclined (I did two of my own). Remove the stock, on the left side of the receiver near the top is a lever that applies the safety when the shotgun is opened. There is a hole in the lever, I put a paper clip through the hole to capture the spring (watch for the spring seat as it will pop out) and removed the lever. You will need to grind off some of the material until the lever no longer applies the safety (this is also how Ruger states they do it, and you will need to buy another lever should you decide you want the auto safety to work in the future). Project completed, reassemble gun and go have fun.

Good luck,

Kerry

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I did mine with a Dremel tool without removing the part.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=76590&highlight=safety

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

That will make it easier to get to the other site.

Jerbear

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You can cut it off with a dremel as suggested or send it to browning if you cut it and accidently or on purpose shoot some one you will be left with nothing! Send it to Ruger.
    Joe

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. Die grinder without removing any parts.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As an old gunsmith for numerous companies, the idea of altering or removing a factory safety scares me. I will not remove or alter a safety, even on my own guns. It is the Civil Liability factor.

Have the factory do it.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's not difficult to do if you're mechanically inclined. I've done three of 'em myself. Take the stock off so you can get at the innards and it'll be self evident what needs to be done, just grind off the end of the part with a small dremel grinder......you'll want to remove the left side hammer spring and strut to get it out of the way for the operation.

John C. Saubak

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks to all. I really appreciate your interest in my question and responses! Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

disable auto safety on ruger red label

how to disable automatic safety on ruger red label
how to disable ruger auto safety
how to disable ruger red lable safey

remove auto safety from ruger red label

ruger red label auto safety disconnect

ruger red label remove auto safety

ruger red label safety disconnect