1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Red Label 28 gauge

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by senorric, Aug 6, 2013.

1. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

I've got a chance to get a NIB Ruger Red Label 28 gauge with 26" barrels and English stock and includes 13 boxes of factory shells. The choke tubes and the wrench are still in the sealed plastic bag. Can anyone give me an idea as to the min/max I should pay for this gun and shells. I know what they're going for on Gunbroker but that's "selling price" and not buying price. Thanks for looking and your responses ----

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

My favorite field gun - does this have 26 or 28 inch barrels??
    [​IMG]

3. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

26" barrels. Thanks -----

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I use the exact same gun - nice and light - after a day in the field I've had offers of even up trades for guns costing 10X as much (and weighing five times as much).

I've never felt under gunned - typically #6 for pheasant - are the shells target loads or hunting loads??

5. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

11 target loads and 2 hunting loads. Do you have the English stock? -----

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Oh yes, that's part of what makes it a great field gun - comes up perfectly.

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Love to shoot mine. SN#076X--not an English stock.

Steve

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I wouldn't suggest a buy price here, but would suggest you search for the same configuration with a 28" barrel. The weight difference is inconsequential, but the swing dynamics is what counts. I do all my upland shooting with a 28 ga. SXS with 29" barrels and Federal Premium #6 loads. Inside 35 yds. it works as well as any 12 ga. and doesn't sag your arches at the end of the day. If the birds are further than 35 yds. they live for another enjoyable day in the field. Lyle

9. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the feedback from all. A 28" barrel would be my preference but this particular package has come up. Would a $1000 total be fair and reasonable?

10. Proofdoubles

Proofdoubles Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I would buy it for $1000 but never sell it for $1000.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

senorric & Proofdoubles,

While the 28 inch barrels are nice I have found that in the field the 26 are better for my height (I am 5'11"). A lot a places ask you to hunt with actions open as you walk and for me longer barrels might contact the ground too easily - mud filled barrels are no fun.

Proofdoubles is taller than I am - by a good 2 inches or more, so for him it is not an issue, but if you are under 6 feet I think you are better off with the shorter barrels in the field.

Food for thought.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The great ruger shotgun...love the red label. Soon there will be no more new ones. Bill

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

0   0   0

I love my Red Label too. There are no new ones unless you can still find one in stock. They quit making them a year or so ago.

Steve

14. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Thanks guys. Is $1000 a fair and reasonable price to pay?

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

0   0   0

After looking at them on gunsamerica.com I would say go for it. You won't get it for any less and you could easily pay a lot more. Bill

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

0   0   0

I have a buddy that just bought one like you describe without the shells for $1300 and is happy with it. A box of shells here will cost you $12 to $15.

17. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Just as an FYI on the deal, I backed off. This gun's action is EXTREMELY hard to open. Through some on-line research, I found that the actions should be very easy and smooth to open, even new. I called Ruger Service and was advised that this was indeed true and are manufactured that way. I was advised by them that if I purchased this shotgun, I should send it into them for inspection and correction/repair. To say that Ruger was concerned would be an understatement. So, I decided not to buy a potential problem. My search goes on. Thanks to all who responded -----

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The flip side of this would be that Ruger would make it right, and your only cost would be shipping to them...

19. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Ah, but the gun was mfg'd in 2006. If they will not cover repairs, what could it cost me?

20. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

0   0   0

You would not need to worry. I sent mine in a couple years ago for a timing problem and it literally came back better than new. The only thing I paid for was shipping one way.

I had asked them to disconnect the auto safety while it was in which was a payable repair. In my note with the gun I had told them to call me and I would give them a credit card. They forgot and sent the gun back with the auto safety still working. I was so impressed with their repair of the gun that I thought I would just live with it like I had been but gave them a call. They apologized all over the place and had an overnight box at my house the next day. Four days later I had my gun back, auto safety disconnected and no charge. I don't think you can get much better service than that!

See if the guy will give you more money off for the inconvenience. Still a good deal I would say.

Steve

Search tags for this page
ruger 28 gauge
ruger 28 gauge for sale
ruger red label 28 gauge

ruger red label 28 gauge for sale

ruger red label 28 gauge review
ruger red label 28 gauge shotgun
ruger red label 28-gauge
ruger red label for sale