1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger out of the Shotgun Business

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has been at the gun show in Vegas. He spoke with several reps and reports back that Ruger is no longer making shotguns. No Red Lables, no nothing. I hope it's not true but....I'm thinking it is.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Well, considering that there are no shotguns in their 2012 dealer's counter guide, I'd say it's a good possibility!

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I don't view this as a great loss.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

I saw one Red Label being used by another shooter and it was only cause he wanted a cheap, good, but not great O/U for that price.

Same thing I saw one Winchester O/U also. It all B-P-K guns otherwise

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can hear a million shoulders out there giving thanks right now!

ss

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Long gun sales are very flat with no end in sight. Handgun sales are through the roof. Ruger shotgun quality was always suspect. I suggest it's market driven forces which forced their demise!!

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Too bad but no loss. The Red label was one of the poorest excuses for a shotgun I ever bought. They have good handguns and rifles but never succeeded in the shotshell market

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yikes! I have a recently purchased 20ga Red Label back at Ruger Service to correct a safety problem right now...wonder what will happen. I know the Ruger shotguns don't find much favor (comments above), and it appears they closed out their parts inventory putting a few together that they had not made in a few years - sporting clay model - but, hey, I am almost 72 years young so not likely I will have to put up with wearing one out in my remaining years. Meanwhile, the gun shows focus on striker fired semi-auto pistols and black rifles...shotguns are nowhere these days. Skeet is on life support, trap is not far behind, and sporting is mostly for the able - money and golf carts since the old timers can's walk the courses. Have a Nice Day! Best Regards, Ed

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ruger shotguns were on par with the Stoeger line of shotguns. 20+ years ago I seen a red label that a sporting clays shooter purchased 3 months prior, and it had felt play in the action/monobloc lockup.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Now I hate to hear that, because I have a 20 ga. SC model that has had a ton of shells through it without the first hitch. Chose it over Win.- Browning- etc. because it fit so well and operated so smooth & easy, low recoil grandkids loved it because they said it didn't kick them like the 28 ga.(I did load very light for them) Being the same age as oldgoat don't guess I'll ever have to worry about wearing it out. Oh Well-- Ross Puls

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The first one at our club had an amazing feature: The ejector went past the rim of the spent hull leaving it loosely flopping between the extended ejector & the chamber. They used a pen knife to pry/bend the ejector enough so that the shell could be extracted, and the damned thing sprung back into place, seemingly not the worse for wear. I can't recall if he was able to finish that post or the next one; but it finally died and he gave up, nonetheless. Never saw another...

best...mike

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My first field gun was Red Label with silver receiver and choke tubes... that was a nice gun... helluva deal for a double O/U... American Made... I put a lot of shells through that gun...

Still nice and tight...

Jay

13. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

hey, dont lump Winchester 101's in with the Ruger's. ;)

mike smith

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

powertrader-- I didn't mean to lump them together, actually thought I was rather specific why I chose the Ruger. GRIN--Ross

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Not posting here to defend Ruger shotguns, but having owned 2 and shot them extensively I can speak from experience that I have not had a single problem with their O/U guns.

I purchased a 20ga. right after they were introduced and shot it for upland game birds for years before trading it in when Ruger introduced the 28ga. which I still own and shoot(SN#0076). The only thing I didn't like about the 28 was the auto safety which I had taken care of.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over Ruger not making shotguns anymore, but my experience with them has all been positive. I was hoping that they were going to come out with a 410 O/U after the 28 was made. I would have owned one of those.

By-the-way,I have the side ribs from the 20 that I traded. If any one needs them;let me know.

Steve Elliott

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought a Red Label sporting clays when they first came out, I think that was in '95. It didn't really fit me, but it always worked fine. I sold it to a short armed buddy that it fits pretty good.I would not hesitate to take it hunting even today. About three years later an internet "expert" ( on shooters.com) told me that every Red Label he ever saw on a trap or skeet field fell apart in the guys hand. I called Ruger and asked them what they would do if I broke a receiver, they said they never needed to before, but they would send me a new gun. I had a $20,000 savings certificate about to come due, so I met the challenge. I offered $500 cash for any broken Red label shot gun the "expert" (or anyone else on the site) could find me, I would buy them all until my money was gone. Not one broken gun was found. One guy had tried to install his own comb hardware and cracked the stock, but I figured that was not a factory defect. I reminded the "expert" about my offer every month or so, never got to buy one to send for Rugers warranty.

I will say that it was a pretty hard kicker, and it really didn't fit me correctly, and it shot flat as a rifle. As far as dependablity, it never failed me, nothing ever fell off and the barrels were regulated properly as tested on the pattern board.

17. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Over priced when they came out and not much luck with them when bought. The resale on them flat out S&88899. Well you get the drift. Tim

18. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

I didn't know Ruger was ever in the manufacturing of shotguns.........weren't those just expensive clubs for fighting off bears?

19. wm rike

wm rike Member

I must have done something wrong to my Red Label. It's an early blued receiver model bought new. I don't shoot it much anymore, but in the first 20 years or so it digested about 75,000 rounds without a hiccup, and its still ready for business. Hmm. What do you make of that?

20. seitz647

seitz647 Member

My first O/U was a Ruger 20ga 3digit ser # - bought it for dlr cost when they first came out - thats about $430 - shot it for years on the skeet range - many grouse fell victim to it,ducks, pheasants - just a great gun fit me like a glove - thousands of rounds thru this gun - I still have it,dont use it that much any more,but I value it as one of my prize positions - its too bad where loosing another shotgun manufactured in the U.S. hope they come back - John Mroczka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.