1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger now making an AR15.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Interesting that Ruger has jumped aboard the AR15 bandwagon, but geez, talk about market saturation. Alas, the MSRP is almost $2000. But hey, you get a gas piston instead of bowing gas into your bolt, something not really needed on a semi-auto AR15. And it comes with three 30 round mags. I'll bet ol' Bill is spinnin' in his grave. I wonder if Ruger has given up trying to get any accuracy out of their basic Min-Blaster?

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll keep my Mini's. No thanks.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They'll be ready for military production.

Hope it lasts longer than the trap gun.

HM

4. oz

oz Active Member

Ruger was going to make a copy of the m1a/m14 about 20 years ago and failed to do so. I wonder if they will make thier own parts or buy like most others. oz

5. Loyac

Loyac Member

Brian in Oregon... Do you have a preference between the .223 and 7.62 mini's?
    Can you explain? Thinking of purchasing one... Thanks. John

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

6.5 Grendel is THE way to go with an AR!

AndyH ;-)

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If it is like all Rugers (and I LIKE Ruger stuff) it will be two more years before they become readily available and by then the supply will be caught up on the others, or BO will have managed to kill them all off.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I suspect what Ruger puts out will be decent and reliable. I do NOT expect it to be a match grade shooter. I have a few Mini's. No match grade shooters there also. But you know that going into it. They are fun to own and shoot and would highly recommend one as long as you don't get raked over the coals when buying it. That's were I've gotten lucky over the years. My 14 will eat anything and shoot reliable. The 30 shoots best with factory soft points(Federal/Remington), and quality reloads. Com block ammo must not be meant for this. Will hunt with this to 150 yds. without doubts. Been trying to find the 6.8 but can't find one on a local scale. Suspect this to be the best shooting Mini out there with good factory and reloaded ammo.

The new .223, It appears that it's across between an AR and an AK. It has great features and looks intimidating. Price tag would choke a mule.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

why, maybe a good 22lr complete upper from them

10. Brian in Oregon

john lorenz, quote: "Brian in Oregon... Do you have a preference between the .223 and 7.62 mini's? Can you explain? Thinking of purchasing one... Thanks. John"<br>
    <br>
    I have no preference, simply because I don't care to own a Mini-Blaster. I do not like how they're made nor their inaccuracy. I'd rather get a beater AR15 first (and indeed years ago I did). As for the gas piston being a big deal, hey, I have a pre-ban AK in 223 that has a gas piston.

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Their accuracy has been greatly improve in the last few years unlike the ones put out in the 80's.

12. Brian in Oregon

So what does that mean? You can now hit something as small as a paint can at 100 yards instead of a five gallon bucket?

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Oh yeah maybe even better Brian....I bought a beautiful Rem 700 in 308 last year...it would group two then two fliers..basically even with pillar bedding and free floating,..changed mounts, scopes and even tried another Kevlar stock with may factory loads and handloads too...that thing was all over the place...I'm sure it was probably a rare lemon...but I replaced it with a new stainless/ laminated Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06 and put a 3x9 Leupold on it...out of the box with Hornady light mag 180 grain bullets it would shoot tight clover leafs of under 1/2" every time...and under 3/4" with everything else I tried...I was so inpressed i bought a 243 Heavy Target...it shoots unbelievable...Ruger has definantly go its act together and boy can they shot

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

It LOOKS really cool.

I just bought a R-15 and a DPMS AP-4. I like them both but I'm certainly no expert.

Just wanted to exercise my 2nd amendment right!

15. BMC

BMC Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4nTJvvLF3I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4nTJvvLF3I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Based on the reports of some guys who have actually had the opportunity to handle and shoot one, the reports have all been good. Apparently the only major feature that is made by Ruger is the barrel and probably the piston system. The rest is all farmed out. The upper and lower are mil-spec and are interchangable.

16. Model12

Model12 Member

We have one in Orlando Bass Pro. Camo less than $1300.00 Bob

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

One of the big reasons the mini 14 is inaccurate is the the gas push rod style operating system, it puts vibration and stress in the barrel. So what does Ruger do when they decide to market a AR style rifle? They put a push rod style operating system on it of course. I know the AK style operating system is the hot thing right now because of the supposed reliability. But I've never had a reliability problem with any of my regular old direct impingement AR's and they all shoot less than moa.

I sincerely hope they sell millions of them but it's just a bit ironic that the company which had it's president testify to congress that American citizens didn't need "hi capacity" magazines is now marketing AR15's coming standard with 3 30 round hi caps in the box.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi EE...Yup I tried free floating...pillar bedding even went to a different kevlar stock all together...I have a bunch of Remintons that are one-holers ...that particular gun was just a lemon...I can tell you the new Rugers are way better than the older guns...I am waiting now on one of the new africans in the new 375 Ruger....Of all the Remingtons I own ..I have an old 788 in .222 that is beyond description...scary accurate

19. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

I believe the Ruger system propriotory. The concern over accuracy with the gas piston system itself, again my opinion, are unfounded. My POF and the others I have seen are as accurate as any DI. If anything they are more accurate simply because the are manufactured with new tight tolerance CNC machinery compared to some af the mans. using older "broken in" machinery. The cleanliness, increased cyclic rate, and cooler running are benefits that far outweigh the cost over DI systems. Adams Arms has a video in where the run 2-3 30 round mags full auto, pull the bolt out, and put it on a cube of butter only to not be warm enough to put a dent in it. I have seen a POF run FA for around 800 rounds in around 2 hours at 80 degrees. When we pulled the BCG it and the rest of the upper was as clean as when we started. Take it for what it is, but it is a benifit that I can appreciate.
    If they have a real world price of $1300.00 even better. There are several piston systems that retail for over that for just the upper sans sights.

20. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I really doubt the modern AR's being built now are on worn out machinery. The advantage of the pushrod style gas system is just what you said the bolt doesn't get hot and less dirt enters the receiver. If being able to handle the bolt after firing 8000 rounds if a needed advantage then that is the way to go. I can see that for a military rifle and is one of the advantages always touted by the AK guys versus the AR guys.

Maybe someone will come up with a way to handle the extra vibration the pushrod puts into the barrel as the bullet travels down it, then they will have the accuracy potential the regular AR system has. Then you may see one of them at Camp Perry or other accuracy contests.

I'll concede the heat difference but I'm not convinced about the accuracy potential. I like getting all the accuracy out of the 223/556 it's capable of. In fact one of my rifles held the record for an auto at the 100yd indoor range at the Bass Pro shop, IIRC it was in the under .400 range shot off a bipod with off the shelf reloaded ammo. Not spectacular but not bad shot by a first time AR shooter with no experience from a $1000 AR.

Alan Zita invented and marketed a system that extends the gas tube on the bolt carrier to outside the upper receiver and also allowed a folding stock. It's kind of a hybrid I guess but I know it shoots well but is pricy because it is pretty much a custom unit from his shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.