1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger model 77 trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ruger model 77 rifle (the old ones, with the safety on the upper tang).

On the underside, on the trigger----visible from the outside, there's what appears to be an allen head screw. Does this screw adjust trigger pull weight ----- or overtravel?

John C. Saubak

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Weight of pull. If I remember, out for less, in for more........Roger

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks Roger,

I was hoping that's what it was for? I've got one in .35 Whelen that I've had for years, accurate rifle and the trigger is nice and crisp------but HEAVY, 7 1/2 pounds believe it or not. I think I'll try adjusting it.

John C. Saubak

4. gunsmith19

gunsmith19 TS Member

John,if you need a trigger job on the M77 I do them for $40 plus shipping. thanks,dave

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks Dave,

I tried the allen head screw I asked about and I couldn't get it below 7 lbs. I was able to get it up to 8 lbs tho', FWIW?? lol
    Actually I dropped it off just today at a gunsmith in Billings, Montana that was highly recommended to me by some friends. "Bull Mountain Rifles", professional benchrest gunsmithing.

John C. Saubak

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

The lotted screw back of the trigger is for adjusting the sear engagement. My advice is don't screw (pun) with it unless you know what you are doing. The allen head screw up front is overtravel. Have someone work on it that knows triggers. Don't end up with a rifle that goes off with little help!

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

John,

With production rifles, in most cases the best thing you can do is to trash the factory trigger and install an aftermarket trigger. I built a 35 Whelen on a 30-06 Model 77 about 20 years ago. The trigger gave me fits and I could never get it to where it would be considered a "good trigger". I ended up swapping it out for a Canjar single stage set trigger. That made all the difference. Browse through a Brownells catalog and see what's available.

8. Urbans

Urbans Member

Back in 1975 I did the same thing with my Ruger 25 06, I replaced it with an Canjar trigger, fully adjustable, made a world of difference going from 7 1/2 lbs to 3 lbs. Make sure to have a qualifed gunsmith install it, and you will be all set.

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

Wasn't there a modification from the factory to that trigger? I just checked and they replaced the trigger overtravel adjustment set screw.-Jerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger model 77 benchrest trigger