1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RUGER MK III RECEIVERS CRACKING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Looks like Ruger took another successful design (the MK II) and screwed it up. Check out this thread about "high mileage" MK IIIs developing cracked receivers in the area of the lawyer driven loaded chamber indicator.<br>
    <br>
    Myself, I'd never buy a MK III. I hate the loaded chamber indicator, and the redesigned trigger is crap. I'd rather have a good, used MK II.

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

hard to believe a 22 can fracture a receiver!!!

tony

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get that bath water out of here.........was that a baby I just saw?

HM

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Analyze the problem, guys. Ruger put in a hideous, oversized loaded chamber indicator to make "appeasement sales" in those states that require this crap. So they machine a big slot in the side of the gun, and add pins, etc. Now we find that, after the constant pounding of the "weak" 22LR round, cracks form in this area after a lot of useage. Didn't Ruger use proof loads, and enough of them, to simulate long term pounding and wear?

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Brian, they prolly tested them with proof loads a time er two. I'd bet it's those guys usin reloads fault! :) Hap

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The place they drilled the hole for the lci to pivot was not too well thought out. The ruger 22 bolt slams forward metal to metal everytime it fires and also as the rearward travel is stopped. The thing about rugers is that every one of them is designed from a "make it cheap as possible" standpoint. I know their are plenty of rabid ruger lovers out there but you can't look at their designs and be too impressed if you have looked at other firearms. They did pioneer investment casting, some think that is an improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger mk reciver thread