1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger MK III Pistol, Oops! FUBAR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

OK, I have a very nice Ruger MK III heavy barrel pistol. I took a friend and her son out shooting on Sunday. While I was helping her son dial in my AR 15 my friend attempted to put the magazine into my Ruger. Well, she got it turned around and when she inserted it, it stuck. I could not get that mag out come hell or high water. I called Ruger on Monday. They said this is a real common issue with the MK II and III pistols. They have a mandated magazine disconnect lever that catches on a cutaway slot in the mag if it is inserted reversed. A repair would cast my shipping there, $35 labor and $30 return shipping..all told, about $90 plus the gun would be gone for three weeks minimum. Adding to it, the mag was full when it stuck and of course, one cannot ship a "loaded" gun. That's when the nice lady at Ruger said "there is a guy who makes a tool to fix this" I went to the web site, "mag-out.com" and sure enough, he explains the issue and sells a $20 to fix it. I ordered it and we'll see if it works. meanwhile, I'm irritated that Ruger knows of this issue and does nothing to fix it. I'm also angry at myself for not seeing this coming and preventing it.
    R Talley

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yet another reason to not like the Mark III's.

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Maybe a child safety?? We all know which direction the bullets point dont we??

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Ruger tells me it happens most frequently when the magazine is empty and the gun is being cleaned. People absentmindedly get it turned around and slip it in backwards.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Not surprising in a society in which people wear baseball caps backwards - or sideways...or drive cars while texting. :eek:) Ed

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A little practice and you can strip the gun under a minute and get it cleared. You only need the twist tie off a loaf of bread, honest...

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

No magazine disconnect on my mk-II and your not going to get a magazine to go in backwards. If the lady told you it's a problem with mk-II and III she is either mistaken or they made a revision after my run. My Ruger is about 33 years old.

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

This applies to all of the MKII and MK III guns made for the CA market in the last decade. I'm not too sure about 33 year old guns.

9. BigM-Perazzi

CA MARKET!!! It was probably designed that way by the legislature ....

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, it was

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I have a Mark III and really enjoy it. It has shot thousands of rounds with really no problems at all.

12. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

My 10 year old grandson shoots the daylights out of my MKII and he never has a problem with the magazines. I told him that the Ruger is his when he gets old enough and you could not wipe the smile off his face.

Oscar

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Look, I like the gun.it's an excellent 22. I was surprised by the design issue. When the tool arrives I'll fix the sucker and be considerably wiser about the potential problem. I consider it fairly minor. Now if you have ever disassebled a Model 12 and then tried to reassemble it....that my firends is a problem. :)

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Did they really legalize gun ownership in California?

-Gary

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Gary ... you been into the catnip again?

16. BigM-Perazzi

Go to these guys. Best at the Rugers I've ever seen...

17. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Got the tool in the mail today. I slipped it in and pulled the mag out. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.