1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger M77 barrel change

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recently aquire a ruger M77 30-06. fair condition barrel bore has some light rusting. I would like to remove the barrel and have it cleaned in ultrasound cleaner, and maybe have the bore polished to see how she comes out. it is dirty very dirty. I dug the crud out of the hole I thought was the barrel retaining screw, nothing in there but I see threads. At the moment I do not have tools to remove. My Questions 1. are the tough/tight. 2. will band type wrench get it free. 3. L or R threaded. Also I would like to know what barrel options I may have for replacement.

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

It wont come out without a good barrel vise and the correct tool. Not like a savage bbl at all. Did you run a bronze brush through it? Try a good cooper out solvent? Id do all of that and see what you have 1st before taking it off, you will need to headspace a new bbl of course when you do remove it. You can also reload with barrel polishing bullets specifically designed for polishing the bbl up, you use a light charge for these rounds. They come in a kit from course to fine and work for imperfections but not bad pits or such.
    I thought they were RH threads, but then again Ive not had to take one off myself.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thanks, all that considered I may just see if the assembly and all will fit in the cleaner. Now those polishing bullets. Can they be ordered already loaded? As far as competent gun smith goes. tough in my local area.

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The solution you are thinking about will crete more problems than you already have. Removing and re-installing a barrel on a rifle is a major job and it requires the previously mentioned special tools and a fair amount of mechanical skill. The tough part is getting the barrel to head space correctly and have all of the markings etc. in the right direction. Here's my $.02

First, get a good copper solvent such as Sweet's 7.62 Follow the directions and get all of the old copper out. Then use JB bore paste to lightly polish the bore. It will take time and elbow grease but it will do what you want. There is another alternative however. For very dirty barrels, electrolisis is frequently the best way to clean them. Outers makes a kit to do it but if you search on line, there are instructions for making a home-made unit that really works well. It requires a cheap flashlight, some drill rod and a couple of corks. I made one several years ago and used it to clean to real disasters; a Mosine-Nagant that looked like a sewer pipe and a 1917 Eddystone P17 that looked clean but wasn't. In both cases, I got a shiny new bore in under an hour.

If you really want to fire lap the bore, then the kit sold by LBT is the only safe way to go. Veral Smith's method uses lead bullets and a very fine abrasive paste. You must be able to handload your own bullets to do it though. Please hear me carefully on this, fire lapping is not a job for hacks or the impatient. You can ruin a bore very quickly with this method if you are not careful. I use ths method occasionally but only as a last resort.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

As a rule the thread direction should always go against the rifling twist

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What it appeared to be is a insect had nested in the muzzle end of the riffle. has some light pitting at the very tip. the rest of the bore seems ok just very dirty. I dont expect much from it. just something I can play with when I go to a 100+ yard range. I really cant see well enough inside the bore clearly. It is to long to fit in ultra sound cleaner avalible to me locally. I think I will just clean it best I can see how it looks and drop it off to have it double checked before fire a shot.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I think that's the wise way to go. I'm sure you'll find that it will shoot fine after a deep cleaning. I've bought very-abused rifles that upon scrubbing shot fine (1.5" for 100-yd 5-shot groups.) Rebarreling is always the last resort, it ends up costing $400+ with a good new barrel. Just clean it very thoroughly & shoot it. Even a rough, pitted barrel that tears off pieces of a patch can sometimes shoot OK for hunting. For fire-lapping, which is a simple procedure and can greatly help a rough barrel but won't cure pitting, I prefer the folks at NECO (see above.) They have great instructions and customer help, but fire-lapping won't be appropriate if you find pitting. Phil E

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ok, found a local guy. His recomendation was to clean it, get the crud out. Use some Butch's bore bright clean very good. He then recomended som JB paste compond to polish it up some. Or even tooth paste, run it thru on a small mop or cotton swab with a snug fit. 10 20 times or so. Then clean and oil as normal. Then bring complete action to him and he will check it out. He tells me he will mic the barrel,look in with a electronic bore scope check head space and clean if needed. 20.00 bucks. All in all he says the gun isnt worth the hassle of anything more. I have just about recouped the money I spent on this lot of guns with the other odds and ends I got along with selling a ruger 22 rifle with a crazy tactical stock on it. He also said he had some bore cleaner that turns a bright green color until all copper fouling is gone.

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Good advice, sounds like an OK gunsmith. Butch's Bore Shine is as good as it gets for cleaning a bore. Scrub it good with a bronze brush, let it sit awhile & soak between scrubbings, then wet patches. Then if you want, you can polish with JB paste as long as you care to, it won't hurt the barrel no matter how much you use. The JB'd patches will come out blackish, that's not fouling so don't try to polish until the patches come out clean brown "JB-color," they never will (this straight from Jim Brobst, mfgr. & personal experience.) Phil E

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

AJ I will keep that in mind.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Cleaned it up, reinstalled the Leupold VX III that came with it. I recentered the scope adjustments. Removed the bolt and did the look through the bore and align the scope to get it roughly line up. The range was flooded so I could only get to the 50y line. It apears to be shooting very high. windage seems ok all shots where just left of the center. for the 8 shots I took. Did not bother to try adjusting or grouping of any sort. Been a long time since I shot a riffle with a scope or center fire for that matter.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just a follow up for anyone interested

Response:
    Unfortunately, we do not take drop offs. You would need to ship it into our
    Product Service Dept. A new barrel is $132.00, $130.00 to reblue, $50.00 for
    labor and $30.00 for return shipping. The safety buttons are no longer
    available. You may want to contact Moyers at 208-587-6408 for a safety button.

13. larryjk

larryjk Member

I have never run into an action of any brand that had other than right hand threads, as does the Ruger 77. Any "competent" gunsmith should have the barrel vises and wrenches, and headspace gauges if they are doing barrel work. Reinstalling the same barrel is a no brainer if the face of the action or shoulder of the barrel has not been altered. Put an index mark on the barrel and action before you pull it. If you don't know what I am talking about, take it to a gunsmith.

14. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Sounds like you're good to go. A 50-yard group will tell you whether or not this rifle will shoot. It won't matter whether the group is high, low, right or left, that can be corrected later with the scope's adjustments, all that matters is, will 3-5 shots at 50 yards all stay in a circle the size of a silver dollar? Phil E

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I plan on going to the range in the next few weeks. I will have a better platform to bench test this riffle. Im not looking for much. I do not intend to shoot it often. I may just sell it. I already been offered a decent price for the scope and factory ruger rings. I need to fix the safty. I have one on the way. The safty button was broken inside where the conecting wire goes through the bottom of it.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just got off the phone with my dads friend. He told me put the scope up for sale leopould VX III for sale 500.00 comes with free M77 riffle. He has actually shot this rifle years ago. My dad claims it to be a tack driver. His friend says not so much. Well I think I will just fix it up. see how she shoots with factory ammo if it can hold a decent grouping at 100y. I may put it up for sale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you change a barrel on a ruger m77

change barrels on ruger m77

how to remove barrel from a ruger m77

how to remove the barrel on a ruger m77

ruger 77 forum

ruger m77 barrel removal

ruger m77 mark ii barrel change

ruger m77 rifle barrel replacement