1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger M77/50 Muzzleloaders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by puablo, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Don't ask me why...but end of the season jitters. Been checking into a new muzzleloader. I have the TC Omega, nice gun, but just thinking of something else.
    Really like the Bad Bull custom No. One Ruger style, but that's real expensive for the amount of shooting I'd do with it.
    My question is any of you guys use a M77/50 Ruger with gun functioning reports?
    The feedback I've seen hasn't been too good. I like Ruger, but sounds like a real nightmare with consistant ignition problems. I'd want to be able to use a 209 primer, not a #11 cap.
    Looks like you'd have to buy a used one even if you did want one.
    Also, any one out there ever convert a Ruger No. One to muzzleloader capacity?
    Any good luck with that if you did? I checked out MSI and they make a replacement barrel for the no. one. Seems that would be a whole lot cheaper way to go if you like the Ruger style.

2. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Oct 22, 2006
    If you can get your hands on one look at the savage bolt gun that uses modern powders. Very reliable and deadly accurate. Tim
  3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I 2nd a Savage 10ML11 Smokeless powder.
  4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I remember when muzzleloaders were supposed to be primitive equipment. That was the justification for expanded seasons. At least in Idaho it is still that way -

A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.

2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.

3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.

4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.

5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.

6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.

7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.

8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.

9. Is free of any electronic devices.

10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.

11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

I shot my cow elk this year with my Thompson Center Hawken, .54 caliber, patched round ball, 110 grains of FFFg black powder, regular percussion caps, peep sights, one shot in the chest from about 60 yards. I didn't feel undergunned at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
msi muzzleloader
ruger 77 50 muzzleloader reviews
ruger 77 muzzleloader sights

ruger 77-so muzzleloader rifle

ruger m77 50 cal muzzleloader rifle
ruger m77 50 for sale
ruger m77 muzzleloader
ruger muzzleloader 77 50