1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger M77/22 LR Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kenf, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Looking at picking one of these up for cheap target practice. Any pro's or con's experienced out there? It seems they are everything the more expensive rimfires are (to a point). Have looked at the CZ, but would like to stay American.

ken

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

Great rifle, have owned .22lr, .22 mag and .17 hmr, all were great shooters. I still love the bolt guns.

Steve

3. DANFAM4

DANFAM4 TS Member

It is a great rifle. I would also take a look at the Kimber Rimfire rifles, they are super accurate.

4. chemist

chemist Member

Great gun-also have that a Model 61 win and rem 522BDL- I take the Ruger on this one- cleaning is a piece of cake-fun to shot- good luck

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Chemist:

Have a like new 7722 with 4XLeopold. U want to get rid of your
    61 and if so what condition. E-Mail me.

Doyal

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Have the heavy barrel stainless/laminate version in .22WMR, and it stays in an inch for 5 shots at 100yd. with the correct ammo...(and that's with the standard trigger)...this one has done a LOT of varmints.

Very happy with this gun...would buy another if needed, without a doubt.

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Shooting a 22 is just fun. I looked at the new Browning T Bolt, the Ruger, Remington, CZ, and Savage. Then I found an original T 2 Browning. Took the scope off it and reinstalled the receiver sight. What a neat little gun to shoot. I would encourange anyone to go for timeless value, a high quality 22 rimfire. Jeff

8. CDHJ

CDHJ Member

Great rifle. Trigger is only problem. Get one of the after market triggers and you are good to go. Most are easy to install.
    Charles

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

Thanks guys,

I have a 52b repro that I was going to sell, but I might just keep it and shoot it and only get the Ruger if the Win doesn't make bug holes.

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I bought one of the first .22 LR 77/22 sporters about 1985 or so and mounted a Leupold 4X rim fire special on it. It has a light, smooth trigger and is a joy to shoot or carry in the field. Even with a light 20" barrel, it shoots one hole groups at 50 yards.

I also have a 77/22 varmint in .22 LR with the laminated stock and 24" heavy barrel and crowned muzzle. With a 6x18 Leupold target scope (dot), no wind and Wolf match target ammo, it frequently shoots 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The trigger is very light, smooth and crisp. An aftermarket trigger would make it even better.

I have spent many a pleasant afternoon shooting 100 yards targets with guys shooting M-16 style rifles. Their groups were many times the size of mine and they were often amazed that a .22LR could be so accurate at 100 yards.

If you have the bucks, a Kimber with its specialized bolt would be my first choice. The Ruger 77/22 Varmint model is not cheap but is less than a Kimber.

Ed Ward

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Consider a heavy-barrelled Savage with an AccuTrigger. Definitely the best value out there and super accurate! AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.