1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger LCP vs. Kel-Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mostly just out of curiosity, since as of now I'm just toying with the idea of a gun like this for CC, what do you think?

They look almost identical.

The Kel-Tec came first.

Ruger is probably a more recognized brand.

The Ruger is more expensive.

I had heard there was a recall on some of the early LCP's.

So if someone were to be considering a gun like this (yeah, I know about the Rohrbaugh too, but its way too expensive for me) which one would you pick?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Timb99, funny you should post this, same disscusion came up last night at the trap club. Most guys were leaning toward the Ruger. One guy there carries a Bersa .380 its about 10 years old, and a little bigger than the Ruger or Kel-Tec. Don't know the model of the Bersa but it is a pretty nice .380. As far as Kel-tecs go, I own a SU-16C and it has been flawless. And when I call Kel-Tec customer service, I talk to a real person! Wayne

3. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

I bought the Ruger just because of looks, The new one are fixed no recall. I have a friend with the Kel-tec and it is great. I love my Ruger everyday pack cant go wrong my Ruger was onlt 20 more on price..

4. MBB

MBB TS Member

About 6 months ago I was faced with the same decision. After reading several reviews I decided to buy the Kel-Tec since I thought that maybe I could get faster delivery than on the Ruger. I did get mine with about a 2 month wait. Whichever you decide to buy be aware that getting ammo will be a problem. (I have both new and reloaded ammo as I have two other 380ACP pistols.)

5. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Neither, get a Walther PPK-S. Zero problems with the Walther. Nice and flat, ez to hide.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've shot both and own the Kel-Tec. It came out first and I didn't see any reason to buy the Ruger "copy" as well. They both shoot and fuction well. I own a lot of Kel-Tecs and am quite happy with them.

7. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I bought an LCP and am quite happy. I carry it every day and you will hardly know it's there. I liked the fit and finish of the Ruger better than the Kel-Tec. If you set them side by side you see the difference.

The Ruger recall was due to a possibility of the gun discharging if dropped. That has been corrected on the new guns, s# starting with 371-.

Go to www.elsiepeaforum.com for anything you need to know about the Ruger. I have 75 rounds through my gun with no failures of any kind. I would put more Silvertips through it if I could buy more but getting ammo is tough.

Joe

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Kahr

After you shoot one, you will understand.

Don Verna

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've read so many people posting on various other sites about having to send their Little Copied Pistol back to the factory that I'll not be getting one. It's inexcusable to copy a pistol and wind up making it unreliable. Come on, how do you screw up a Kel-Tec, huh?

10. Barry

Barry Member

One of the best things about the LCP is the optional aftermarket laser built specifically for this gun. It's tiny and and fits most holsters. There's really not anything else like it for any other gun.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/Ruger/LG431/tabid/361/Default.aspx

The LCP isn't legal in Kalifornia or I would have bought one months ago.

11. jtf650

jtf650 Member

"There's really not anything else like it for any other gun."

Except for virtually the same thing made for the Kel Tec by the same company.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/KelTec/LG430/tabid/299/Default.aspx

There may be good reasons to prefer one over the other, but availability of the laser isn't one of them.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I thought I'd also add, there is a Kel-Tec owners group forum. (KTOG.org) that has lots of info. Kel-Tecs have a lifetime warranty, don't know about Sturm Ruger. Wayne

13. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have the Kel-Tec 32 and love it. I have talked to several that have the 380 and everyone of them told me the same thing, that the 380 is hard to hang onto during recoil.
    I don't know this first hand, just what I have been told.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I don't understand the controversy here. I own and carry the KelTec because it was the right tool when I was ready to buy. Shot a few hundred rounds to ensure reliability (recommend this for any self defense gun) and had a holster made that prints like a billfold in jeans. My rule is simple: buy what you like and can afford.

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I put one on top of the other down at the shop the other day, then switched. Tried the triggers. Looked at what passed for sights. Compared the prices. Then looked at the ammo shelf. Picked up my little model 36 and went back home. Two of a kind. Both with mediocre triggers, virtually non-existant sights, and a minimal round. If that is what you like, buy either one. They are kind of cute and fit well in a pocket. We haven't had any 380 ammo in six weeks. I'll stick to a 38 or full 9 until something better comes up.

We did have one Ruger LCR come in. It lasted two days. I imagine it is really fun with +P.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

For now, I guess I'll stick with what I have.

Tim

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had an opportunity to shoot an LCR (the composite frame revolver) recently and was suprised at how well the gun handled. The size and weight of the LCR make it a great choice for a full time CCW. I would take this pocket rocket over any of the small autos. Check one out if you get the chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kel-tec p3at vs ruger lcp custom

trap shoot with kel tec ksg