1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Gold Label launches choke down range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

My Ruger Gold Label launched its skeet choke tube down range last week and I just discovered it missing tonight. Damn, this is irritating to say the least. I check those tube each session and I never saw it getting loose. What makes matters even worse is that it made the muzzle on the right tube slightly out of round. I hope Ruger is going to fix this without cost to me but I imagine I'm out at least $70 for a new choke tube.

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why should Ruger fix this at "no cost"? You must really check your chokes if you didn't even know it was missing. You want Ruger to pay for your error, good luck.

Don

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Big Don, do you read before you post? Instead of taking a backhand to me you might just read more carefully. I'm not a jerk and I'm not looking for a free ride. Your opening comment was unsportsmanlike and uncalled for.

I clearly said that I check my choke tubes before each session ... like clock work. That's how I discovered the missing tube. I also do a visual check of each barrel as I reload for the next bird. I still didn't notice anything was wrong. What I don't do is clean my gun after each time at the range so I don't check my tubes after a shoot, only at the start of a shoot and periodically during the shoot.

I am concerned that something may have been wrong with either the threads or maybe the fit in the muzzle in order for that tube to get out of the gun. I have never, not once, over the course of the three years I've owned the gun, found a single one of my tubes to be loose ... and I check them often. So it's a mystery to me.

If I do have to foot the full bill fine enough, I can live with that. What I want Ruger to do though is to check the barrel and make sure it's safe to shoot and that it will not happen again. In other words, I want them to make sure there is no underlying mechanical defect that will rear up and do this again. That tube went somewhere .... and it if it happens again it just might go where someone or something is standing down range.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I believe Ruger has been very good with warranty work. Yours is not the first gun to launch a choke tube even with precaution. Good luck!!

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

omgb; My opening statement was a question that you failed to answer. You also said that the tube was "launched down range last week". That statement made by a man who says he checks his gun often. Sorry, I have shot choked guns, internal and external, for years and I am checking them constantly. Now you lose a tube and you expect Ruger to fix your gun "without cost" (your words not mine) Explain to me please why should they fix your gun withour cost. If there was a metal problem maybe, but you had been shooting the gun for 3 years.

Sorry about your problem.

Don

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Here's the deal, I check the gun each time I take it out and shoot it. I tighten the tubes and give the gun a once-over. After two rounds, we take a break and I re-check the tubes. We shoot one more round and we go out for a beer ... usually around 9:30 or 10:00 PM. I get in around 11:00. So, I don't go over the gun closely then, just wipe it down and put it in the safe. When I get ready to go out again, usually a week later, I take the gun out of the safe, re-check the tubes, wipe off the ejectors and go to the club. It was during this process that I noticed my right barrel didn't have a choke tube in it. I also noticed that the muzzle was a couple of thousands out of round. I used a 9" bore scope but could not see any stripping of the threads. I cleaned the gun and inserted an ImpCyl tube and it snugged up fine but, the mouth of that barrel is obviously out of round a tad.

I never noticed a different sound to the report, no one shot seemed heavier or lighter than any other and I never saw the tube go down range, not even a hint. Now we shoot at night so maybe I just didn't see it but this is weird. I put maybe 1500 rounds through that gun without a single burp. It locks up just as tight as it always has and I never once found a choke tube loose either before, during or after shooting. It just stumps the heck out of me as to how this happened.

The ammo I was shooting that night was Federal 11/8 #8 trap loads from WalMart. And as I said, nothing was out of the ordinary. There had to be some kind of metal failure in the choke tube that's all I can figure. So, sure, I'd like Ruger to fix it for free as I did all of the right things from my end and this really shouldn't happen in a $500 gun let alone one costing closer to $3,000. Now if they offer to do the labor and I pay for parts that's pretty fair too. And if they determine that none of this is their fault, which they might do, I'm not going to feel ripped off, just disapointed. I bought a Ruger because they make hardy products and stand by them over time. I could just as easily have bought a Silver Wing Beretta for about the same money. So, I'm really more curious as to how this happened. I really don't want it to happen again any time soon.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for you.

Don

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I have delt with Ruger directly for two customers in the past. Not on blown chokes but one, the original owner of a RL that misfired on top barrel occasionally. The gun came back with all parts in trigger updated and new firing pins, no charge. The second was a RL that the barrels were not in regulation. This was not the original owner. The gun came back fixed, no charge.

OMGD, send it to them, good company to deal with.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Big Don, thanks for the comments. We got off on a bad foot but based on your posts since, I retract my unsportsmanlike comment. That certainly doesn't fit you.

Guys, I'm going to send it to Ruger and see what happens. I'll call them Monday for the OK. I really would like to know how this happened. I have loved that GL since the day it arrived. It simply is the best shooting, best fitting best looking shotgun I've had the joy of handling. I hat the fact that it did this, kinda take the glow off if you know what I mean.

10. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Are you sure some "buddy" didnt borrow a choke tube as a joke, or???

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

It seems BIGDON gets off on the wrong foot with most.....I wonder why that is???

12. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I'd like to know how your experience goes when you get the gun back. I've got my Red Label at Ruger right now for a couple of items. I plan on a good outcome as I've heard nothing but good about their service!

Steve

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a Ruger Armorer, I have had fantastic results with their warranty and repair facility. They will likely repair your gun gratis. THEY WANT YOUR BUSINESS.

I use the All Weather Ruger M-77MKII exclusively for game rifles. Their generous repair policy, besides the looks, function, quality, and features I like have a lot to do with this.

I recently did trigger work on a Ruger rifle, and cut the trigger spring a little short. I called them and gave them a factual account of what I had done. I was ready to give them a CC#, but they insisted on sending the part free, even to covering the shipping. I got the part in days!

How do you like your Gold Label?

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Update on my Gold Label...I was at OakTree today for a BSA merit badge shoot. Nick, one of the workers there, handed me what was left of my blown tube. He found it near station 8 on Skeet Range 1. There was about 40% of the tube left. The edges looked crystalin in nature and the tube was heavily curled in on itself, so much so that at first, it didn't look like a 12 GA. however, the side markings perfectly matched the other tubes I still had. So it looks like the tube became brittle and shattered or tore. I will send this all back to Ruger next week. It will be interesting to see what they say.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you ding the back edge of a choke tube- and it projects into the bore - this will happen

and also the curl is an indicator of that

pressure is lower at the muzzle

the back of the tube probably got dinged or bent somehow

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Any chance of a photo?

Good luck,

LA

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Plan on waiting awhile. They still haven't started work on my Red Label. I just called them last week and they said they have a backup of shotguns right now.

Steve

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Here it is. I placed one of my good tubes next to it.

19. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It looks like that is what may have happened- the back of your choke tube was dinged or out of round -

gas then pushes it into the bore- the part that protrudes- first gradually and then when it moves enough- it becomes a blockage and if you are lucky it blows out

That is probably considered operator error

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke tubes down range trap