1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger GL Repair

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I got my GL back from Ruger on Wednesday. I sent it in on the 18th of June after havinga choke tube depart the right barrel for parts unkn. Ruger asked that I send my gun, the chokes and the wrench for inspection. I got the gun back and it had been rebarrelled, reblued, new firing pin, action retimed, new ejectors and a complete polish. No charge and no explanation for the departed tube. The only fly in the ointment was that they forgot to return my other chokes and my wrench. I called Friday am and they appologized profusely. They then 2nd Day airshipped me the three missing tubes and the wrench.

Great service. Now if only they could tell me why that tube departed. This is interesting though. The right tube always had two wavy spots in it about 8" apart midway down the barrel. the left was like a mirror. Now both barrels are like a mirrow, no more waves. Hmmmm, my gun has/had a "U" in the prefix to the serial number. I asked what that was all about and they never answered. I've heard that this indicates a factory second. I was told at the time of purchase that this meant that the gun was a display gun from the Shot Show. I wonder what the real truth is.

2. RugerLover1

RugerLover1 TS Member

As far as I know the "U" means USED. When they say used they mean that it could have been sent to a gun magazine writer for thier evaluation. It could also mean they used the gun at a demo show. I belive in the past they have even sent guns to the Superbowl or World Series for there use. Things like that.
    As far as the choke "departing the barrel" I know that the barrels are pretty thin and there can't be much meat for the choke threads to bite into.
    I have a Gold Label and I have had no problems with it at all.

George

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would call that great service in a timely manor! Glad to hear that a person can still get great customer service these days.

ec90t

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input on the ser# That goes with what the dealer told me three years ago.

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

In my opinion (actually, my GUESS) is that either the threads on the tube/barrel were a very loose fit, which I think you might have noticed, had that been the case, or there was enough misalignment between the choke tube and the barrel that the wad caught the edge of the choke tube and caused a problem.

In the latter case, I would have expected that the tube would go downrange very early in the life of the gun.

Another puzzlement.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I still have no idea. I had a couple of thousand rounds through that barrel so again, I just don't know what happened.

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I just sent them my M77 to have it repaired, Brand new and faulty!! They do not like to talk about things that are "WRONG" !! I have heard that there service dept. is second to none. I wrote them a description of the problems with the rifle and asked them to give me a written description of what they came up with!

When I get it back we will see how much info they come up with!Also they quoted 4-6 weeks for the fix, I hope they don't take as long as they did with yours. PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.