1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger embroiled in controversy where they are...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Ruger's long gun plant is in Newport, NH, about 10 miles from my home. They are making plans to build a shooting range for their use AND the general public. Rifle, pistol and trap.

Neighboring landowners are fighting it because of "noise". Ruger is going to build one of the nicest, safest, ranges around.

My question is how people can fight against what is the LARGEST employer in the area? They've hired an attorney and are ready to do battle.

My solution would be for them to simply move their facility to Prescott, AZ, the home of their handgun facility.

What do you think?

cap

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I think they would be welcome here but you should know that our Sportsman's Club is in the process of moving the range some 30 miles because of noise close to a housing development. As is often the case the range was there long before the housing but that didn't matter to many. Joe

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yes, move and take the jobs and tax revenue with them.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Maybe Ruger could make a possible case for suppressors at the range. That is, if the neighbors are truly worried about the sound. My guess is it's not about the sound; it's about all those scary people and their guns traveling through the neighborhood. Some people honestly cannot believe anyone should be able to hold a gun, let alone shoot one at a range.

Gene in Illinois

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hoplophobia.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That's what happens to gun clubs too close to neighborhoods or land that has home development potential.

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"how people can fight against what is the LARGEST employer in the area?"

Because they are "liberal" in nature and ideology! "Noise" is the First argument against New Ranges by them everywhere, Its term is "brainwashed" or "educated past their intelligence"

Take it from someone who has experienced it first hand! In 1970 there were over a dozen saw mills where I lived, now there are None. The timber is still there but these people think they are "saving" it. But the bugs, disease and wildfires are fast consuming what they thought they had saving!!

All they know is how to be a "obstructionist" they learned it while attending government controlled educational systems.

9. MilCon

MilCon Member

I am shure that they could find some land down here in N.C.
    Near Fort Bragg area.
    No unions, cheep taxes and gun frendly + enough educated unemployed in factory work to make it feasible.
    Fair weather all year arround so production will never stop.

Just a thought

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's funny. Our gunclub in Amarillo has been located there since the 50's. One mile west is an airport. Across the street, is our gun club, the Amarillo dog pound, the Amarillo sewage treatment plant. So, they develop the land in between. They build houses. People start bitching about the guns and the barking dogs. There is a also a city softball field(4 fields) north of us). They don't bitch about the airplanes, or the softball. Go figure. Charlie

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was talking to someone about this very thing recently. The modern American believes they are entitled to live in a veritable paradise, where everything is simply perfect all the time. They refuse to countenance the idea of live and let live, of hearing the roar of dirt track cars on Friday night or the gun club on weekends. Everything must be just so all the time that they may live in their fool's paradise - until it ends.

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well if they are the largest employer in the area,have them post in the news paper how many jobs will be lost in the area if they move! I have a gun club less then a quarter mile I never hear them.

It comes down to why mess with them? Why challenge them to move? Why make your area unemployment rate go up?

Jerry Lewis

14. N2deep

N2deep Member

Wish Ruger would move to Arizona/New Mexico-Texas we need the jobs and they will find our business environment very friendly...

NH and the entire north east has become the land of entitlements and liberalism, the old motto live free or die has changed to support me so that I can live free until I die. The true Yankee spirit is dead.

NH, ME, VT and Calif are not business friendly states

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Why do you feel landowners don't have a right in determining impacts in their communities?
    If it was an airport runway being built to your backyard you wouldn't bitch??

I believe ranges that exist have the right to be there.

16. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

In CT we have laws on the books that they can not close down any gun range for noise issues if the range is already there. Building new ones can be another story. I'm surprised about Newport NH. The way I always heard it is Ruger ruled pretty much the whole town.
    Always made me laugh about the clowns that build their house next to the dump, and then complain about the smell. And similar nonsense.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

People are crazy, simple as that.

A number of years ago Westinghouse was part of a plan to build a high tech, co generation plant in gary, IN, that would burn trash for fuel. They have many of them in Minnesota built around paper mills, that work great. Mind you, this is as close to zero emissions as you can get, and because of the high temps, the waste product is sterile ash. This was to be located in an area that was already a superfund site because of old mill and chemical waste. The people fought it tooth and nail, and now still live in the crap and have overflowing garbage dump sites. If the people will speak against something that they directly benefit from, they will definately fight something that they are emotionally irrational about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.