1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RUGER BLACKHAWK HELP<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plabels466, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Well guys here I go again...When ever I needed gun help this is the best place to visit... I want to convert A Ruger Blackhawk 357 revolver into a 44 special...This gun is approx 25 years old & in great condition...I called the Ruger factory & they only sell the barrel...Have you ever had this done? I will need a name & tele #/ email address...Thanks..........Pete

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I built four such guns for the SASS game. Be forewarned it is expensive and a you may want to just buy one of the Italian SAA clones in .44 special. I started with three screw .357s because I wanted the smaller frame and then made up the barrels from a .429" Douglas blank. From that point you need to bore out the cylinder and finish with a chamber reamer. I also wanted the SAA profile so I reshaped the top strap to the rounded grove top configuration and used a half moon blade for the front sight. For the grip frame we used an aftermarket steel frame that we cut and rewelded to a round but style. Pretty extensive mods and not something you will ever get you money back on if you want to sell.

Sounds like you are starting with the large frame .357 so what you would end up with would be like a Super Blackhawk with a standard blackhawk grip frame. Probably not worth the expense. Your looking at $1,500 (+) to have this work professionally done.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

This doesn't answer your question but it seems to me it would be far cheaper and simpler to sell the .357 and find a 44. I hope someone can answer your specific question.

4. T/C

T/C TS Member

Pete, please re think this. Your taking a 25 year old gun that's in great shape, completely doing away with it's value, and probably going to spend much, much more making a hybrid .44 spec. Keep the .357 and buy yourself a new .44, you'll be way ahead of the game, me thinks. T.

5. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Thanks for the info wolfram...Jerry, Ruger does not chamber for a 44 special...I own three Super Blackhawks, & a Charter Arms Bulldog...Also a 44 special in a Colt SAA...I shoot 44 specials out of the S. Blackhawks but would just love to have a 44 special in the Ruger........Thanks for your replys........Pete

6. plabels466

plabels466 Member

T/C - Ruger does not chamber for a 44 special...But I am going to check out some of the 44 special Italian clones.......Pete

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I understand where the poster is coming from. Ruger SHOULD make the Blackhawk in 44 Spl!

8. wolfram

Pete,

I didn't mean to sound too negative about the project, as the coach said, Ruger should make such a gun. Nothing beats a mild loaded .44 special for pleasure shooting. Also if you do build your own it will probably shoot very well, mine do. The conversion just doesn't make money sense, but then again neither does most of the things we enjoy.

9. T/C

T/C TS Member

Nor did I mean to sound negative, if I did. I must be missing something here. Why not just shoot the .44spec. load out of the .44mag? Is it that you desire a lighter frame handgun?

10. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

Ruger currently lists a Blackhawk in .44 magnum that would cost less than a conversion but hey, it's his money and sometimes it must be spent and at least its for something firearms related so it can't be all bad.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Why not just have a 44 Special cylinder made for the Super Blackhawk?

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Hamilton Bowen is the man for the job at the web site above.
    Ross

13. plabels466

plabels466 Member

First off I want to say thanks for all your replys.....I want to have a smaller frame Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special.....No Super Blackhawk, no S&W, no Colt, no Charter Arms....no 44 Mag......I have all of them.....I love the 44 Spec. Caliber.....wolfram you were very informative & I enjoyed reading your post.....I to wish Ruger would make the 44 Special in a smaller frame like their new Vaquero.....I have the new Vaquero in the 45 Long Colt & I love it, but ohh how I would love the 44 Special.................Pete

14. wolfram

Hey Pete,

You might be on to something about the new small frame Vaquero/Blackhawk. I shot one of those new guns in .357 and it was a dead ringer for the old three screw .357 other than the improved action. The timing on the one I tried was nearly perfect. Could be a good starting point for your project. If you ever come through northern Nevada I would be glad to let you try out my conversion guns. I know the first time I shot one I had to have a pair of my own. Best of luck.

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree with Ross, that you should contact Ham Bowen & have him bore yours out & make it the .44 Special you want. Yes, a lot of us would buy .44 Special Blackhawks and/or Vaqueros, if they were available. A friend is in the middle of the conversion you're talking about. He's gotta have a whole bunch more spare time than I have! It's a huge project, you need to do a lot of research just to find out how to do the cylinder boring, you need to decide if you think you & your mill can do it, or should you farm that part out, who to trust to do it, etc. Ham Bowen can line-bore it, and make it perfect, for not a whole lot more than the cost of a new Blkhwk. I have 4 old 3-screw .357's, and have often considered sending one to him to be a 6-shot small-frame .44 Special, pro'ly my favorite caliber. Maybe we should talk each other into it. Phil E

16. plabels466

plabels466 Member

ctreay, I did ask Ruger that question - the answer was no.....Interesting PHIL E, but I always thought Bowen was VERY EXPENSIVE, I do wonder what he would charge for the work.....Wolfram - I just might take you up on that some day.....I live in Colorado......Again, thanks to all you guys for your great input.....I sure do enjoy chattin' with all of you..............Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.