1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Blackhawk 357 max

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by algebra1, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Anyone out there know what these guns are worth NIB?Thanks Steve

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take gun to Ruger Forum.

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Thanks Coach

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Interesting gun, interesting cartridge...

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its greatly affected by the amount of shooting...I had one I used for metallic silhouette and mine had probably 900-1000 shots of full power ammo through it and the flame cutting on the top srtap was already pretty significant and the forcing cone throat was worn...the reason they stopped selling them...they bring about 75-100bux more than a standard Blackhawk 357 Mag

6. Shooting Coach

FYI

One can drastically increase the service life of this arm by using 180 gr bullets and Ball Powder.

Forget about the "Gee Whiz" velocities with the 158 grainer.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Never had a Ruger .357 maximum but I campaigned a 10" barreled .357 maximum Seville and shot nothing but 180 grain bullets. Eventually changed over to a Freedom Arms 10" 44 magnum silhouette model. Never could get 5 good chambers in a Dan Wesson.

8. BigM-Perazzi

Shooting Coach, I have a Merrill Sportsman in .357 magnum, I've often considered rechambering just for that reason .

9. CalvinMD

Slightly OT..Being a leveraction rifle nut ..especially those in pistol calibers..I really thought a 357max levergun would be awesome ...until I figured out I really already had one..except it was just a 35 Remington and I'd have to accept that I couldnt have a matching caliber revolver...if you really want more teeth rattling fun in a 35 cal I'll let you shoot my 356 Winchester

10. BigM-Perazzi

well, I've got this .38-56.....

11. Shooting Coach

The Contender makes the Mighty Max ROAR!. A 20" lever-action Carbine in this caliber would be DYNAMITE in a small package.

The 35 Remington is underloaded by the factories. One can push a 200 gr bullet nearly 300 fps faster than factory ammo with acceptable pressures in the Marlin. Factory loads are around 30,000 PSI. The small-frame Marlin is made to handle 42,000 PSI, which is where the 30/30 lives.

This approaches the 356, falling short of 2400 fps in standard rifles, which do not have a 24" barrel.

The 35's almost always have a 20" barrel, and will get an honest 2300 fps with XX.X gr of Accurate 2520. My particular Marlin can go higher with no issues, but recoil is dramatically increased. High performance loads should NEVER be used in vintage Remington auto and pump rifles.

The Model 7 Remington can go to 50,000 PSI, in deference to the thin case. THIS IS MOOSE AND BEAR MEDICINE in a very small package.

The small-frame Marlin KICKS with 2300 fps loads. Power factor is about 460. The 30/06 with 180 gr bullet at 2700 fps is 486!

12. goony

goony Active Member

I have a 94 Trapper with a 16" barrel that I rechambered to 357 Maximum. It is very accurate. I load 180's and 200 grain bullets in it.

13. CalvinMD

I have the 375Win too..in a Marlin...powerful piggy medicine..lumped in with the 35Rem and the 356Win all loaded to safe max potential are lethal to nearly anything walking this hemisphere..but for fun I like the old 38-55 with heavy cast bullets just plugging along about 1700fps out of a 24" octagon barrel...too cool! I'm glad we have so many other levergun enthusiasts on this site

14. Shooting Coach

The 375 Winchester is potent medicine for most anything in North America at close range.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had a 14" .357 Maximum barrel for my T/C Contender quite a few years ago. As stated above, it is one heck of a good Whitetail cartridge. I took several deer with the cartridge at some pretty amazing yardages for a pistol. Unfortunately the cartridge was not legal to use in my State and I traded it for a .44 Mag barrel which is.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger blackhawk 357 maximum for sale

will a 357 max harvest a deer shooting 180 gr bullets