1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 9mm pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Looking at the Ruger semi auto 9mm pistols but not sure about all the different models. I'm wanting a nice reliable 9mm that I can shoot for fun but still put a lot of rounds through and have at home for protection. I don't have a lot of money to spend so the price of these is attractive but don't want to buy something that's not reliable or accurate just because it is cheap. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Have you shot one?

Go to a range where you can rent one, and shoot it.

Then shoot an M&P. I'll even recommend you shoot a Glock.

Then you can make a better decision.

3. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Zanders has police buy backs on S&W 5906. Not pretty, but solid.

Todd

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Believe it or not, the most accurate Ruger I've ever shot is my LC9. Bit of a handful because it's very lightweight, but amazingly accurate for its size.

If you are looking for real accuracy, though, get a Glock 26 or 19...

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

The Ruger SR 9 or the compact 9c have been gaining a lot of fans. Better trigger than a Glock or the M&P. the Ruger forums have tons of information on Ruger products. I like Glock and others but the SR 9 model is competitive with any other brand.

6. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

It is a great idea to try different guns first. But, I will add this since you're on a budget and you asked about the Rugers--

I have a Glock, an M&P and a Ruger SR9c suitable for concealed carry and home protection. I have not put the same number of rounds through the Ruger (1500 rounds give or take) as I have the other two pistols (which I use in competition and have easily logged well over 20,000 rounds in each), but I use the Ruger for my carry gun. My son, who does IDPA competitions with me and uses the M&P most of the time for them, purchased a Ruger SR40c for his carry-gun.

So... while the M&P and Glock may well be superior firearms overall, I have 100% confidence in the Ruger SR9-type format. It's accurate, easy to shoot well, reliable and inexpensive. I don't think you'd regret getting one.

If you do....try several guns in the same model as the triggers to vary from the factory. Overall, they are better than the Glock or the M&P stock, but I still put 'Ghost' triggers in my son and my Rugers.

Mark

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

If you are price sensitive, buy a used Gen 3 Glock 19 and don't look back.

Light years ahead of the Ruger pistols...

8. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the great information. Mike.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Take a long look at the Kahr CW-9. Mine has been flawless--and--they are Made In the U.S.A.. About $350.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It sounds like you are fairly new to pistols if that is true I'd go with the SR9 because it is much simpler to use. The double action\single action like the P series is harder to master. The SR9 is striker fired and the trigger pull is the same all the time plus the SR9 also has a thumb safety if you chose to use it unlike most all other striker fired pistols.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger 9mm pistol forum