1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 77/44 Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rjstubbl, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I have been looking at the Ruger 77/44 rifles. They are chambered in 44 mag. Does anyone out there have one? What do you think of it?

Anyone want to sell one?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are an aficionado of that fine cartridge and prefer a turnbolt rifle, this is a fine arm.

I had one for quite a while, and they are accurate, hard hitting, short range slammers. They have little recoil, and are a joy to carry in the woods. Obviously, not a long range rifle.

Loaded with the Barnes X bullet, Nosler Partition or Winchester Combined Technology 250 gr bullet at 1600 fps, they will harvest about any game up to 400 lbs within 100 yards. Bullet selection is cardinal. Lighter bullets made for handguns will shed cores and fail on big game shots. Heavier bullets made for the 444 Marlin may fail to expand at the lower speeds the 44 Magnum achieves.

This is an ideal firearm to handload for.

3. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I have one, they shoot very well, however I do not use it for hunting, only paper punching. The only problem with it is removing and installing the mag once you learn the trick you get past this pretty quickly.

With a 4x Leupold scope it will do 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards easy with hand loads. For grins they also feed 44specials out of the mag as well.

Fred J.

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

I have a littermate to the 77/44, the 96/44. It is a lever action and handles and points like a dream. It does not shoot very well. It is minute of barn door accurate, 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 50 yards, but that is still good enough to make peppersticks and bologna. A buddy bought a 77/44 for his mother and it shot about the same as my lever. The barrel quality seems to be hit or miss (pardon the pun).

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

PM me with a phone number if you want and we will talk on my dime...I may have some useful info for you.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.